GUNS N' ROSES - "Chinese Democracy"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

GUNS N' ROSES - "Chinese Democracy"

Post by Shiney on Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:58 pm

Okay.

I got this thing earlier in the week and not listened to much else since. I thought I'd let my thoughts be known...

First I shall say I like it...growing to like it ALOT, actually. That said...here is the nitty gritty rambling.

Had this come out 17 years ago on the heels of the "Use Your Illusions" it would have fucking ruled. And in all honesty the songs here are of the same caliber of alot of the better tunes from the "UYI" discs. grandiose, over the top arena pieces...orchestration, piano balladry.

Axl's pipes are in top fucking form, seriously this man's voice has suffered nada over the years....just balls out ferocious...except maybe on a slow tune or two when he "sings"

The guitar work is killer, albeit Bucketheads sound is a little distracting but on the whole it seems as most of the 5 guitarists did their best to channel their inner Slash and churn out some incredible soloing...

New drummer Frank Ferrer hails from one of my favorite unknown early 90's bands ever THE BEAUTIFUL...and he throws it down on this...

The songs themselves are tight and not too far removed from what most would have expected.

I think the only off putting thing about this platter is the over all "modern" feel of it. I realize the times have changed, fuck 20+ years have whipped by since we were slapped in the ehad with "Appetite", but it's a big difference. The production is very hip and now, filled with electronic noodling and hip hopish accents. The occasional "nu-metal" sound erupts but by and large it's still not enough to tarnish anything.

So is it worth buying, Yes.

Is it good? Yes.

Is it as good as the old GN'R? No, how could it be?

In actuality this should be an Axl Rose solo album and let the GNR moniker rest on it's laurels, but that isn't the way it happened.

So yeah...there you go.

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Re: GUNS N' ROSES - "Chinese Democracy"

Post by Kenwood on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:01 am

Good stuff. I like the album, too. Definitely should have been an Axl Rose solo album. But whatever. I'm interested in the music not the name.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:34 am

So if Donny and Marie pit out a heavy slash album, you'd be first in line? I'd wanna see piccies!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:59 am

Shiney wrote:The production is very hip and now, filled with electronic noodling and hip hopish accents. The occasional "nu-metal" sound erupts

This is why I don't and very likely won't own it. I have had the leaked demos for years (who hasn't?), but I listened to the completed tracks on the G'n'R My Space page and was not impressed.

Certain songs are really good. Others are interesting. Axl is more of a musical genious than I've given him credit for over the years, but overall, I just can't get into this album. It's just not a sound I'm into. Heck, Prince is a genious as well, but that doesn't mean I'm ever going to own an album.

I'll stick with the three SB tracks he sings on and ignore the new G'n'R....

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu May 07, 2009 11:59 pm

Amazing album that I still listen to, which is doubly surprising considering I've been on top of every leak since they first started rolling out in 2001.

I actually think it would make my "of all time" list. Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 08, 2009 12:08 am

I heard some songs and they didnt impress me all that much. Ill stick to AFD...

Alex

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:32 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top