Black is the Devil's Rainbow by Barker--the homemade version

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Black is the Devil's Rainbow by Barker--the homemade version

Post by markgunnells on Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:37 am

So for years and years and years, longer even than he has talked about The Scarlet Gospels, Barker has been talking about putting together a new collection. Since I feel he excels in the short form and the Books of Blood were phenomenal, I was of course thrilled with this idea. However, I've come to suspect it's a project that will never truly come to pass. So I decided to start gathering up all the anthologies that contain his previously uncollected short stories. Sort of making own collection. Here's what I have so far.

"Lost Souls" from Cutting Edge, a Harry D'Amour story. It was a good story but felt incomplete like it was really supposed to be part of a longer narrative. D'Amour of course will be in The Scarlet Gospels, as well as another character featured in this short.

"Coming to Grief" in Prime Evil, I didn't like this story when I first read it as a teen but rereading it as an adult I love its more subtle emotional horror.

"On Amen's Shore" in Little Deaths, a story set in a fantasy world familiar to readers of Everville, it's actually a rather delightful little tale.

"The Departed" in Shivers 7, this is a wonderfully beautiful ghost tale.

"Pidgin and Theresa" in Time Out's Book of London Short Stories, a very bizarre tale of angels, would-be saints, and animals turned human that was charming and engaging.

"Animal Life" which I found online, well written but actually too brief, I felt like it wasn't much of a story.

"Chiliad" in Revelations, a really complex and engrossing tale within a tale. The outer tale is a bit confounding, but the story within that story is fascinating and satisfying.

"Haeckel's Tale" in Dark Delicacies is a terrifically perverse and creepy story, one of his best.

"Night's Work" in Best New Horror 25 isn't a story proper, more of a vignette about writing and inspiration and I think it's rather delightful.

"And So With Cries" is a poem I found online, actually rather entertaining for its slightness.

"Dollie" in Turn Down the Lights--this one hasn't arrived yet but I'm looking forward to it.

And that's it so far. I hear he has a Cenobite story called "Heaven's Reply" that will only appear in the deluxe limited edition of Scarlet Gospels, but I can't afford 250 bucks so I may never get tor read that one.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top