Lestat is Back

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lestat is Back

Post by markgunnells on Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:06 pm

Anne Rice announced yesterday that her next novel, due this October, will be Prince Lestat, a return to the Vampire Chronicles. The announcement was met with much elation by fans. I wasn't surprised, as soon as she returned to gothic horror with the werewolf novels, I knew she'd go back to the vampire books.

Can't say I'm thrilled. I love her early vampire books, but by the time she finally stopped writing them, I felt they had become terribly stale and repetitive and just uninteresting. As a fellow writer, I respect her following her passion, but as a fan, honestly I would rather have seen her continue with other original works.

In any case, I'm sure I'll give it a try, see what the old Brat Prince is up to.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Re: Lestat is Back

Post by Barry on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:08 pm

I'm guardedly happy when tentpole characters and/or franchises are resurrected (er...so to speak) by their original creators. Although in many cases it can be nothing more than a cash grab, sometimes, true quality can be presented with the nostalgia. I have faith that Mrs. Rice is going to deliver the latter.

Barry

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSydney on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:02 pm

I agree. I think it can go either way. It will either be a total flop and nothing more than a quick money maker or it can be brilliant, nostalgic and a quality resurrection. There's no way to know until it's out. So, we'll see. Right now, I'm kind of looking forward to it. My opinion may change later.

MJSydney

http://writermjsydney.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 am

I get the impressing Anne is really passionate about these characters and that world--but I felt the series was so stale and repetitive by the end, I'm not really sure how this will play, but I'm willing to give it a try.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:04 pm

I rather enjoyed this one, there was one plot point that didn't work for me but otherwise I thought this one was interesting, full of great dynamic characters, and a compelling storyline.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top