"Smoking, The Old Sergeant," by Dominik Parisien (Poetry)

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Smoking, The Old Sergeant," by Dominik Parisien (Poetry)

Post by Kenwood on Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:14 am

Anyone wishing to add some thoughts about this particular poem and/or author, feel free to do so here. Praise and criticism is encouraged equally, but please keep the latter on the constructive side.

BEWARE OF SPOILERS!

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "Smoking, The Old Sergeant," by Dominik Parisien (Poetry)

Post by Syd on Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:26 pm

I'm a lifelong fan of poetry and love finding contemporary poets who carry on the tradition with the mastery Parisien does here. I remember studying an entire unit on war poetry in college, and this is very much a piece you would have found on the syllabus. Strong imagery and adept use of language and structure. Hoping to see more from him, as well as more of the poetry ST includes in upcoming issues.

Syd

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:42 am

We try to include poetry, but we've only published a few. Mainly because it's rare that we get pieces like this. None of us is a big poetry fan—well, maybe some of our new staff are, I'm not sure—but it seems like we tend to like the prose poetry more than the simpler, traditional styles. I know my favorite poet is Stephen Crane, and he was a master at the prose poem.

Either way, "Smoking" is a great piece.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Syd on Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:05 pm

Are you serious? Well, no wonder you chose one as good as this. Stephen Crane is also one of my very favorites--I can't believe you said that! I keep a poetry book that has "I Saw a Man", "The Book of Wisdom", and "The Heart" on my end table and still read them often despite the fact that I could recite them from memory. I love a great deal of his work, but I read those at 16 and they really stayed with me...and definitely had a hand in inspiring me to write my own. I love the poem in this issue and hope to see more from Dominik, or others writing at a similar level. It's beautiful work.

Syd

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:39 pm

I like poetry...but it usually needs to be pretty "non-traditional."

That seems to be what we all like here.

Ken Wood is the author of one of my favorite poems of all time. True Story!

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Syd on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:30 pm

Um...please say I can read it somewhere?

gimme 

Syd

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:34 pm

I'm posting it here. ken can delete it if he wants:

INDECISION

Slowly mountains crept, and
Came upon a man.
They said: "Run away, friend!"
Still, he stood, and
Thought, and
Was trampled.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Syd wrote:Are you serious? Well, no wonder you chose one as good as this. Stephen Crane is also one of my very favorites--I can't believe you said that! I keep a poetry book that has "I Saw a Man", "The Book of Wisdom", and "The Heart" on my end table and still read them often despite the fact that I could recite them from memory. I love a great deal of his work, but I read those at 16 and they really stayed with me...and definitely had a hand in inspiring me to write my own. I love the poem in this issue and hope to see more from Dominik, or others writing at a similar level. It's beautiful work.

"I Saw a Man" is my all-time favorite poem. =)

I've been a big fan of Crane's fiction since I first read "The Red Badge of Courage" in junior high. His other work is so underrated! Still, I never checked out his poetry and wasn't even aware of it until 2001. Early that year, I was on temporary duty for six months in the UAE. A friend back in the states used this company called Chapbooks.com (they're no longer around, unfortunately; sadly ahead of their time) to publish some poetry chapbooks. I loved them, so I decided to do the same thing. I had a friend back in England, where I was permanently stationed, mail me all my old notebooks from high school and I compiled a kind of best-of from stuff I'd written as a young teen. Dreadful stuff for the most part, but it chronicled a hard time in my life that I thought would be cool to immortalize in a neat little book. So I did that, and then ordered 200 copies. Most of which I still have because I don't want anyone reading it. Which makes the fact that I ordered 200 copies pretty stupid. Haha.

When I got back to England, I met a girl who was a big fan of Crane's work. She found that chapbook in my dorm room one day. Though she said it wasn't bad, I showed her some of my more recent work at the time, which she seemed to really like. She said it reminded her of Crane's stuff, which, being a long-time fan, was a great compliment. Yeah, a fan of his fiction, but come on!

Anyway, she let me borrow her copy of The Collected Poems of Stephen Crane. Not to toot my own horn (because I don't consider myself a poet, good or otherwise, or a student of it), but reading his work really was like reading stuff I'd written in another life or something. Very similar in style and subject matter. It was kind of amazing, actually. And so he pretty much immediately became my all-time favorite poet.

I should have kissed that girl. =(

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:07 pm

Shiney wrote:I like poetry...but it usually needs to be pretty "non-traditional."

That seems to be what we all like here.

Ken Wood is the author of one of my favorite poems of all time. True Story!

Aw, shucks.  Very Happy

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:27 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top