The Black Company

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Black Company

Post by J_Kyle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:13 am

Anyone ever read these books? They're a dark fantasy series by Glen Cook, which pretty much marches to the tune of "there are no good guys, no, not even the characters you like" from page one. The cover art is typical 80's eye-roller fare, but it's worth getting past. The writing style is fantastic, and the characters are much more grounded and realistic than you'd expect from a fantasy yarn (no princes or legendary heroes here). I read them this time last year and I'm already considering dusting off the first three again for a reread. Definitely worth your time if you want a gritty fantasy story from a time when gritty fantasy wasn't cool yet.

A quick disclaimer: If military style fantasy is a turnoff for you, there are large sections of the book that will bore you to tears.

J_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Re: The Black Company

Post by Kenwood on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:34 am

I haven't. Been meaning to check out some of his work someday, though.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by J_Kyle on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:39 pm

Black Company is the only thing of his that I've read. I tried to read the first Garrett P.I. book, but I couldn't even finish the first chapter. I remember thinking "No way is this the same writer."

J_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Bouch22 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:17 am

I've read a few of them (a long time ago) and remember liking them very much. I started with "The Silver Spike" because I didn't realize it was part of a series. Read pretty well on it's own, though. Then years later I found the first two books. I've never been able to find a copy of "The White Rose" though, so haven't read any more since then.

Bouch22

Back to top Go down

Post by J_Kyle on Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:46 am

There's an omnibus edition out now that has the first three novels together. I think I got a used copy on Amazon for like ten bucks. I even got lucky and managed to snag a first edition without realizing it. (Though I later found out when Glen Cook himself told me, as he was signing it.)

J_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Bouch22 on Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:36 pm

Signed copy - awesome.

I have one signed book in my library. "Beautiful Something-or-other" by some chick named Porche. Or maybe it was Lamborghini? It was a car name anyway.

Bouch22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:10 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top