"In Deepest Silence," by Ari Marmell

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"In Deepest Silence," by Ari Marmell

Post by Kenwood on Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:38 am

Anyone wishing to add some thoughts about this particular story and/or author, feel free to do so here. Praise and criticism is encouraged equally, but please keep the latter on the constructive side.

BEWARE OF SPOILERS!

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: "In Deepest Silence," by Ari Marmell

Post by kurtnewton on Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:51 pm

This story is very well-written, great dialogue, edge-of-your-seat action... my only problem with it is the ending. It reads like the opening chapter of a much greater story, but the author decided to end it in order to keep it at short story length. I couldn't help imagining the possibilities if the author had allowed the submarine to pass through the arch intact. What strange new world would the crew have encountered? Overall, very entertaining.

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:10 am

You know, we had already accepted this one before I read it. So when I finally read it, I was basically beginning edits. I loved the story, but I had an issue with the ending. I wondered if it could have ended at this line:

His face ashen, Malhotra eases the throttle forward. “Ahead... Ahead one-third, aye.”

This would have made it a very open ending, but I liked that. Ari replied this, however:

...the ending is actually the whole reason I wrote this story in the first place. Lots of Lovecraft and Lovecraft-inspired stories talk about the notion of "impossible angles" and spaces occupied by non-Euclidian geometry, but few of the stories ever deal directly with that notion. Having the submarine pass through, and the bizarre impossible melding/mashing of flesh, machine, and soul that follows, is what drove me to create, and (in my mind, at least) gives meaning to, everything else.

This actually made me appreciate the ending more. Not that I disliked it, of course. But you know how I make suggestions or put voice to my curiosities with our authors. I'm not always right, of course, and this was one of those times.

I wonder, Kurt, if he could have written something that would do justice to what was beyond that arch.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:31 am

This was absolutely one of my favorites. I wouldn't mind it at all if Ari expanded it into a novella. And then won the Nebula with it. And then gave us a shout-out for having fantastic taste.

Seriously, though, this was great. I'm not incredibly familiar with Lovecraft and this makes me want to read more of his work.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:36 pm

Lovecraft isn't walking through that door...

Ken, I would have preferred your ending instead. I just found the ending to this story a little contradictory. The creature could enter our world unharmed but the submarine couldn't enter the creature's world without destruction? I've read a lot of Lovecraft--pretty much went through his entire catalog--and, apart from his "unexplainable" explanations, there was a lot of wonder--transcripts of travelogues to places unknown, etc. Don't get me wrong, I liked the story, but the writer in me just wanted a more satisfying ending--even if it was the open ending you suggested.

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:49 pm

You guys think too much.

It's delicious just that way it is.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by LucretiaFraser on Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:42 am

It took me a bit to get into, and then, yeah... the end left me flat.

However, I LOVED the middle bits...

I would also prefer the open-ended ending... but I also respect the author wanting to leave it as is, given the reasoning.

I was left wanting MORE of this tale because what I loved was just so compelling. I would definitely read this again, if expanded into a novella.

LucretiaFraser

http://www.lucretiafraser.com

Back to top Go down

Post by J_Kyle on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 pm

Confession time!

I do not like H.P. Lovecraft very much at all. I might have even done an eyeroll in the intro piece when Ken described this story as ST's first true Lovecraftian tale.

But man did this story push all the right buttons for me.

J_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:43 am

Hey, I'm not a Lovecraft fan, either. Like many of the classic authors, I find him very hard to read. The language and style is hard for me to get into.

But that's why I love modern Lovecraftian tales. =)

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by J_Kyle on Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 am

I feel the same way. I've read enough to Lovecraft to appreciate nods in his direction, but only if they're done by authors who write nothing like him.

Overall, though, very cool first story to read upon cracking open the issue.

J_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:15 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top