"The Day" and Post-Apocolyptic Morality

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"The Day" and Post-Apocolyptic Morality

Post by Bordo on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:52 pm

[OK. Very slight spoilers below.]

I just watched The Day which is essentially The Road meets Red Dawn. Kind of.

Anyway, the story concerns a group of people (five people, to be precise) who are trying to survive in a seriously bleak post-apocalyptic future. Like The Road, no explanation is ever given as to what happened to cause the apocalypse. Also like The Road, this is an apocalypse which has essentially destroyed the ecosystem (no animals) and most human infrastructure (limited buildings remain, no power, etc). There's no metaphysical angle to any of it (zombies), the world just sucks.

The "antagonists" in this world are tribes of cannibals. Not feral cannibals. Just groups of people who hunt and eat other survivors.

At any rate, the protagonists are given the requisite "good guy" polish (i.e. most of them were buddies in high school, they refer to each other as 'family', they will starve before they turn to cannibalism, etc). Conversely, the cannibals are kind of given a light dusting of evil (i.e. they discuss torturing their captures at one point, one of them is shown to be sort of douchey in a frat-boy kind of way, etc). However, the good guys were not portrayed as saints and the bad guys were not necessarily portrayed as evil incarnate.

Which got me thinking: in this scenario, who are the real 'good guys'?

To my way of thinking it has to be the cannibals, right? Everyone in this situation knows that they are fucked. There is no way that any of them are ever going to see civilization rebuilt to any degree whatsoever. Thus, their whole impetus for survival is no longer as individuals but for the propagation of the human race as a whole; hopefully to such a degree that civilization, at some point in the distant future, can rebuild.

Admittedly, cannibalism is rude at best. But, in context, isn't the greater sin not doing everything possible to survive and ensure, through your survival, that the entire human race doesn't cease to exist?

The 'heroes' in this movie are shown to be starving, sick, wasted, and at the end of their ropes. They comment at one point how there used to be 12 of them. The cannibals, on the other hand, seem to be doing just fine. So, in terms of survival of the species as a whole, aren't the bad guys really the good guys here?

Bordo

Back to top Go down

Re: "The Day" and Post-Apocolyptic Morality

Post by Shiney on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:38 pm

In case we forgot why Bordo rocks....^^

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Bordo on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:54 pm

Shiney wrote:In case we forgot why Bordo rocks....^^

Who could ever forget, though?

Bordo

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:46 pm

Not me.

You want crazy post-apocalyptic....

read Skipp & Goodfellow's THE DAY BEFORE.

Wild!!

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 12:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top