Mark Z. Danielewski

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mark Z. Danielewski

Post by Bordo on Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Mercedes posted a list of book blogs in the Random Whatever thread. I went to one of the links and found an interview with Mark Z. Danielewski aka "The Guy Who Wrote House of Leaves".

Here are his next projects:

1) ...a 27-volume serialized book about a girl who meets a kitten...

2) ...a novella called The Fifty Year Sword...But the story only exists on the left hand side of the page -- the "sinister" side of the page...

Is it just me or is this guy pretentious as fuck? I read House of Leaves (or tried to) years ago. Never finished.

So maybe his stuff just isn't for me.

Then again, "...27-volume serialized book about a girl who meets a kitten".

Thoughts?

Bordo

Back to top Go down

Re: Mark Z. Danielewski

Post by Tall Tyrion on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:06 pm

I took it as a joke... He's serious? huh

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary B. Phillips on Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:23 pm

I enjoyed House of Leaves but it's definitely a book that you should skim and skip. If you try to read it straight through (if such a thing is possible) the first time you'll probably kill yourself.

Also, his sister, the singer Poe, released an album called "Haunted" that's a companion piece to House of Leaves. Worth checking out if you're a fan of the book.

Gary B. Phillips

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:01 pm

I dug "House Of Leaves."

I did not dig POE.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Shiney wrote:I dug "House Of Leaves."

I did not dig POE.
Loser. Poe is the shit, and she needs to put out a new album. I'm sick of waiting. Haha.

Then again, she did get royally dicked over by a slew of record labels and then, oddly, a wealthy businessman who also apparently a fan. He bought out her contract, the rights to her songs, even those unreleased, and apparently her name, then refused to let her perform or do new music. Totally weird. There was like a 10-year court battle, which she won like a year ago. So not really her fault. Haha.

Definitely one of the weirder things to happen to a musician, being held captive, artistically at least, by a crazy, powerful fan.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gary B. Phillips on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:44 pm

Kenwood wrote:Loser. Poe is the shit, and she needs to put out a new album. I'm sick of waiting. Haha.

Then again, she did get royally dicked over by a slew of record labels and then, oddly, a wealthy businessman who also apparently a fan. He bought out her contract, the rights to her songs, even those unreleased, and apparently her name, then refused to let her perform or do new music. Totally weird. There was like a 10-year court battle, which she won like a year ago. So not really her fault. Haha.

Definitely one of the weirder things to happen to a musician, being held captive, artistically at least, by a crazy, powerful fan.

Yeah, that whole battle was strange and sad, yet somehow appropriate for the sister of the man that gave us House of Leaves. I do agree though, she really needs to put out a new record.

Gary B. Phillips

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Gary B. Phillips wrote:
Kenwood wrote:Loser. Poe is the shit, and she needs to put out a new album. I'm sick of waiting. Haha.

Yeah, that whole battle was strange and sad, yet somehow appropriate for the sister of the man that gave us House of Leaves. I do agree though, she really needs to put out a new record.
I read an interview a while back where she mentioned having tons of songs written and recorded. It'd be great if she started releasing them.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:17 pm

I tried House of Leaves three times and couldn't get through it.  I loved the actual story, it was those ponderous footnotes that didn't enhance but in fact STOPPED the story dead in its tracks that did it.  I'm considering trying one more time and skipping the footnotes.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:46 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top