George Orwell

View previous topic View next topic Go down

George Orwell

Post by Tall Tyrion on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:45 pm

I'm a huge fan. Obviously, if you haven't read 1984 and Animal Farm, I will spit on you for an uncultured swine, but he's a pretty fascinating character even beyond those two classics. As a youth, I also read Coming Up For Air and Burmese Days. They are not quite up to the same standards, but I enjoyed them both.

I really became interested in the man himself through the excellent biography written by Michael Shelden. Highly recommended.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Re: George Orwell

Post by J_Kyle on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:57 pm

I read Animal Farm at a pretty young age; young enough that I thought it was just a boring story about animals. And since I never reread it as an adult, I just sort of nod politely whenever anyone talks about it.

1984 was great, though. I remember finishing the book in a kind of daze.

Silly me never knew he did any other stuff. I assumed he must have, of course, but I've never run across any of it.

J_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:12 pm

At a minimum, you should reread Animal Farm. It's a bit more heavy handed with the allegorical aspects than I usually like, but it's a good read. If you keep in mind the year it's written, I'll bet you can pick out the parallels...

And that biography is great.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by starktheground on Fri Aug 31, 2012 12:45 am

I love 1984. That's one that I read while a teenager and thought it was the most brilliant thing ever written.

starktheground

Back to top Go down

Post by KitPower on Thu May 30, 2013 10:45 am

I actually prefer Coming Up For Air to 1984 (1984 is better, mind, but still). The poignancy of '…Air’, the sense of loss, the feeling of encroaching doom, suffocation - it's a lot of the same themes as 1984 (and hints at the same future) but for me, it's all the more powerful because it haunts the subtext rather than being the actual, you know, thing.

Still have Down and Out sitting on my bookshelf in battered paperback form glowering at me...

Orwell was a genius of words.

KitPower

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top