Paranormal Activity series

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Paranormal Activity series

Post by O'Dandelo on Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:00 pm

Opinions can be pretty divisive about these movies, but overall I'm a big fan of them.

The first was a classic in its (admittedly tired) genre. The second was on the good side of okay. But I was surprised to love the third film so much.

And now, inevitably, comes the fourth. Anyone excited about it? What are your thoughts on the others?

O'Dandelo

Back to top Go down

Re: Paranormal Activity series

Post by davisac1 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:06 pm

I came into the first two a little late, after I'd already seen a good handful of found-footage films, and I was surprised how much I liked them. I thought the first especially did a terrific job of making its script sound ad-libbed but not annoying. Creepy premise, good execution, and I'm always impressed with a good film made on a microbudget. I'll have to check out the third, if you liked it that much.

My very favorite entries in the genre, though, are Troll Hunter and Lake Mungo.

davisac1

http://amandacdavis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by O'Dandelo on Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:53 pm

I'll watch almost any found-footage movie. The Last Exorcism is another that was surprisingly good (just when I was getting bored with lousy exorcism films). It does a couple of inventive, subtle things with the medium.

REC (Spanish language) is fantastic, and its sequel, the imaginatively titled REC 2, is also solid. The US remake, Quarantine, is a lot better than most remakes.

I'll probably always go with Blair Witch as my favorite, though. Troll Hunter is great. I've heard of Lake Mungo. I'll have to track it down now.

O'Dandelo

Back to top Go down

Post by marzioli on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:30 pm

Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch won me over, despite their profound ability to induce headaches and migraines. I'll definitely have to check the next two installments of PA out if you think they're worth it. They've been in my Netflix queue, but I haven't found the time to watch them yet. As for part 4, I'm not sure what to make of it. It didn't show anything novel, though the acting seemed decent enough. I'll probably wait for Netflix on that one too.

On a side note, I recently read this quote by Ramsey Campbell: "I continue to believe that the finest modern Lovecraftian work of fiction--in its documentary approach, its use of hints and allusions to build up a sense of supernatural dread, and the psychological realism of its characters--is The Blair Witch Project." - from the intro to Alone With the Horrors.

marzioli

http://marzioli.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by O'Dandelo on Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:24 am

So has anyone seen Paranormal 4? I actually haven't yet. I admit I've been letting the awful reviews hold me back; it's like I've resigned myself to the possibility that it will ruin the series. But if I never see it, the series will still be great. The old tree-falling-in-the-forest conundrum.

O'Dandelo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:07 am

I've only seen the first one, and it was pretty much ruined by a row of loser teens in the theater. I've been meaning to watch it again at home. I want to see the others.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:20 am

I loved Troll Hunter! I also dug the Paranormal Activity series. I went to the theater at WFC by myself to see the third. Sat next to a lovely, strange man who shared his popcorn with me. Decent flick.

The Blair Witch Project and The Last Exorcism both made me throw up in the theater. I can't do the jerky camera thing. I didn't see The Hunger Games because, according to movie-hurl.com, it made a lot of people yak.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:21 pm

Think the series is a great example of the law of diminishing returns.  Love the first, and like parts of 2 and 3 but definitely feel there was a dip in quality and logic with each successive entry.  4 I found utterly without merit.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by MRCzarnowski on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:07 pm

Glad I didn't even try to see that one then. Thanks

MRCzarnowski

http://mrczarnowski.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by O'Dandelo on Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:12 pm

#4 was a big disappointment, sure, but not entirely without merit. Wait for it to show up on streaming Netflix or something. And if the inevitable #5 can reinvigorate the series, #4 will look better in retrospect. If not...then the series needs to die.

O'Dandelo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:30 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top