Scariest music

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Scariest music

Post by mrkilpatrick on Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:02 pm

What band do you think creates the creepiest music? Sure, Wumpscut, Suicide Commando and Feindflug have some menacing-sounding songs but some of the stuff by Skinny Puppy and Faxed Head is nightmare-inducing.

mrkilpatrick

Back to top Go down

Re: Scariest music

Post by KrimsonKing on Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:28 pm

I love the way you toss the names of those bands out as though we're expected to know who they are!

Sorry, I'm an old fart - I probably am the only one here who doesn't know who you're talking about.

There's a track on The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway by Genesis called The Waiting Room which has always spooked me when listening through headphones. It's the only piece of music they ever did that was really out there. Another piece of music that is unsettling in parts is Bitches Brew by Miles Davis. And of course you've got The Coop who has three fantastically unnerving cuts on Welcome To My Nightmare in the shape of Years Ago, Steven and The Awakening.

KrimsonKing

http://www.stefansingsswing.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Bouch22 on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:47 pm

"Steven" is one of the creepiest songs I've heard. Of course, that's my name, so it's naturally a little unsettling. It's like Alice is helping the voices in my head talk to me.

Bouch22

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:21 pm

Not sure if I'd call it scary, but I love Nox Arcana.

When I'm writing, this stuff is playing in the background.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:32 pm

This....

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by KrimsonKing on Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:19 am

Bouch22 wrote:"Steven" is one of the creepiest songs I've heard. Of course, that's my name, so it's naturally a little unsettling. It's like Alice is helping the voices in my head talk to me.

"Whaddya want? What do you want? What do you want?!"

KrimsonKing

http://www.stefansingsswing.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:05 pm

The Doors...

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by MyRuinedEye on Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:04 pm

Kreng:

Maybe Khanate:

I do like the Caretaker too, reminds me of the Shining:

MyRuinedEye

Http://www.jessedavidyoung.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:47 pm

You know Diabolical Masquerade?

Death's Design is cinematic brilliance! Except for that weird techno-y crap around the 2:15 mark. Laughing

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MyRuinedEye on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:10 pm

I've never gotten into the whole Symphonic Black metal scene. SB and Powermetal are the musical equivalent of z level movies to me. I think I like two bands in either genre, Kamelot (for the pm) and maybe Cthonic on the symphonic black metal end.

Dunno though, neither genre offers much up to me outside of a lot of cheese, and I'm lactose intolerant.

MyRuinedEye

Back to top Go down

Post by MyRuinedEye on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:33 pm

That has some nice moments though. I'll give it a listen again.

MyRuinedEye

Back to top Go down

Post by MyRuinedEye on Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Faxedhead were nightmare inducing? I love those guys, but Bring the Dead Boy Peace isn't exactly terrifying. I thought they were set up as a joke death metal band by Spruance.

Which reminds me though, I haven't listened to them in forever. Time to jam some Chiropractic.

MyRuinedEye

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:11 pm

MyRuinedEye wrote:That has some nice moments though. I'll give it a listen again.
It was meant as a movie score, but the movie never happened. The other Diabolical Masquerade albums are much less symphonic, though not entirely without it.

You into stuff like Dark Sanctuary and Autumn Tears?

Not really creepy, more haunting and classical, Dead Can Dance kind of stuff, but I love it!

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MyRuinedEye on Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:37 pm

Yeah I like elements of both of them, but they don't really gel for me as a whole. Which is funny because I like this:

Which has a similar feeling. I really don't like operatic vocals though, outside of Devin Townsend, so both are a turn off (Autumn Tears less so). I really can't stand bands like Butcher's Ballroom and Unexpect due to that, which is too bad because I would normally find their music enjoyable out of the cheesy ass vocals. I mean, I grew up with an aunt who sang opera and a mom who could have sang it but chose to raise kids instead, so I was inundated with the form as a kid and the pairing of operatic vocals with anything outside of an orchestra sounds so corny to me.

MyRuinedEye

Back to top Go down

Post by Bordo on Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:09 pm

The scariest thing I've ever heard on an album was a 'hidden' track which only played if you let the CD run through a dozen or so blank 'hidden' tracks which came before it. In fact, the only reason my buddy discovered it was because he fell asleep with his headphones on and woke up when this track started playing.

Essentially, it was a spoken word piece of a guy describing waking up in a ditch with the evidence that he had killed someone sometime prior. At the end of the piece he sees a couple walking along the treeline a ways away and intimates that he is going to kill them, too.

At least, that's how I remember it going. It was fucking creeeeepy, though.

I wish I could remember the name of the band. This would have been sometime in the early 90s. Can't remember who it was for the life of me.

Bordo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:14 pm

MyRuinedEye wrote:Yeah I like elements of both of them, but they don't really gel for me as a whole. Which is funny because I like this:

Which has a similar feeling. I really don't like operatic vocals though, outside of Devin Townsend, so both are a turn off (Autumn Tears less so). I really can't stand bands like Butcher's Ballroom and Unexpect due to that, which is too bad because I would normally find their music enjoyable out of the cheesy ass vocals. I mean, I grew up with an aunt who sang opera and a mom who could have sang it but chose to raise kids instead, so I was inundated with the form as a kid and the pairing of operatic vocals with anything outside of an orchestra sounds so corny to me.
Not sure I'd say that's all that similar. It's quite different, actually. But I kind of dug it.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Bordo wrote:The scariest thing I've ever heard on an album was a 'hidden' track which only played if you let the CD run through a dozen or so blank 'hidden' tracks which came before it. In fact, the only reason my buddy discovered it was because he fell asleep with his headphones on and woke up when this track started playing.

Essentially, it was a spoken word piece of a guy describing waking up in a ditch with the evidence that he had killed someone sometime prior. At the end of the piece he sees a couple walking along the treeline a ways away and intimates that he is going to kill them, too.

At least, that's how I remember it going. It was fucking creeeeepy, though.

I wish I could remember the name of the band. This would have been sometime in the early 90s. Can't remember who it was for the life of me.
That's Tool, right? The end of Undertow, where the guy talks about red being your color. Or maybe it's Marilyn Manson. I think it's Tool, though. Been a long time. But yeah, it's creepy.

EDIT: Or I could just check since I have the damn thing on my computer. Haha. It's Tool. The last song, a hidden track, is called "Disgustipated," which is just a bunch of noise and stuff for 7 minutes, then it's all night sounds and crickets, until the last few minutes, which is that narrated part.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MyRuinedEye on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:20 pm

Yeah they don't sound the same per se, but if I heard somebody shoot them off together in a playlist it wouldn't break the feeling that they have. The atmosphere is there and it's similar, the approach is different.

MyRuinedEye

Back to top Go down

Post by MyRuinedEye on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 pm

Wait Disgustipated was about killing someone?

I thought it was about how ridiculous vegans are worrying about the feelings of animals used for food, vs. vegetables. I think when Undertow was put out there were several studies showing that vegetables do in fact feel pain.

MyRuinedEye

Back to top Go down

Post by MyRuinedEye on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:25 pm

Reminds me of this...

MyRuinedEye

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:27 pm

This!

It was daylight when you woke up in your ditch. You looked up at your sky then. That made blue be your color.

You had your knife there with you too. When you stood up there was goo all over your clothes. Your hands were sticky. You wiped them on your grass, so now your color was green. Oh Lord, why did everything always have to keep changing like this.

You were already getting nervous again. Your head hurt and it rang when you stood up. Your head was almost empty. It always hurt you when you woke up like this. You crawled up out of your ditch onto your gravel road and began to walk, waiting for the rest of your mind to come back to you. You can see the car parked far down the road and you walked toward it. "If God is our Father," you thought, "then Satan must be our cousin." Why didn't anyone else understand these important things?

You got to your car and tried all the doors. They were locked. It was a red car and it was new. There was an expensive leather camera case laying on the seat. Out across your field you could see two tiny people walking by your woods. You began to walk towards them.

Now red was your color and, of course, those little people out there were yours too.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MyRuinedEye on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:29 pm

Ah right. I was thinking of the introduction with the Maynard preacher.

MyRuinedEye

Back to top Go down

Post by Bordo on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:31 pm

Kenwood wrote:This!

DUDE! HOLY SHIT!

You know how long I've been trying to find this?

You rock, bro.

Bordo

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:35 pm

Bordo wrote:
Kenwood wrote:This!
DUDE! HOLY SHIT!

You know how long I've been trying to find this?

You rock, bro.
cheers

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bordo on Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:37 pm

I just listened to it. Just as CREEPY as the first time I heard it.

Reads like one of Shiney's stories.

Bordo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:35 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top