I NEED TO KILL!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I NEED TO KILL!

Post by Paula Ray on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:04 am

Hi friends - I have a confession. I've been attempting to write romance and I've neglected my dark side. I crave death! I need violence! I NEED TO KILLLLLLLL (and I quite possibly need psycho therapy, but that's another matter.) Show me the blood.

Paula Ray

http://musicalpencil.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: I NEED TO KILL!

Post by Manuel Royal on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Bit of the old ultra-violence? Anybody in particular? Some wayward slummin' veck with a pocket full of Pretty Polly, or a worn-out old baboochka needing a smash on the old Gulliver? (Doesn't really matter; the blood's always the same color, like it all came from one factory.)

Manuel Royal

http://donnetowntoday.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by davisac1 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Just like in a romance novel, the solution here is to bring two things together. Wartime affairs! Codependent messed-up relationships! Marrying an axe murderer! Like I always say: sex and death, they're like peanut butter and jelly.

davisac1

http://amandacdavis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:50 pm

Every romance novel needs a serial killer stalking the streets, right?

Kuro

Back to top Go down

Post by blood-lace on Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:58 am

Hmm, a good romance needs some good old fashioned Othello action. Some despised third wheel breaking apart the lovers by betrayal and stirring doubts that drives one of the lovers to pure paranoia, mania, blood-lust and depression.

blood-lace

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:04 am

Yeah, but they totally don't need Desdemona's acceptance of her fate. Need a chick with enough cajones to knock some sense into Othello, or at least to get the heck out of there until he's cooled off enough to listen to reason.

Kuro

Back to top Go down

Post by elizard on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:11 am

What we need more of is serial killing females who still have time to be the romatic lead for some fall guy. Enough of these dopey femals falling for the evil guy ( who must have a good side somewhere) we need more blood running by feemale killers

elizard

Back to top Go down

Post by blood-lace on Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:19 am

A strong character doesn't need to be kick-ass, just believable. I can believe that some women are push overs, dependent, or devoted past caring for themselves. I can also believe that a woman can be cunning, strategic, and independent. They can even be a paradox. A woman can be a tough on a professional level, but a timid at home.

Desdemona's acceptance of her fate was her downfall but she had quite enough cajones for the time, She is self-assured, proud, independent, she could defend her marriage to Othello when her father criticizes her choice, and joke around with Iago. Those were radical characteristics for a Venetian woman of the Renaissance.

blood-lace

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro on Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:02 am

blood-lace wrote:A strong character doesn't need to be kick-ass, just believable. I can believe that some women are push overs, dependent, or devoted past caring for themselves. I can also believe that a woman can be cunning, strategic, and independent. They can even be a paradox. A woman can be a tough on a professional level, but a timid at home.

Desdemona's acceptance of her fate was her downfall but she had quite enough cajones for the time, She is self-assured, proud, independent, she could defend her marriage to Othello when her father criticizes her choice, and joke around with Iago. Those were radical characteristics for a Venetian woman of the Renaissance.

Believable is good. That's my problem with Othello. It doesn't have to be a tragedy, but I feel like Shakespeare is shoehorning it into that model. Why can't the independent and otherwise strong Desdemona think "maybe waiting for my murderously angry husband is a bad idea"?

On a side note, have you seen Sassy Gay Friend?

Kuro

Back to top Go down

Post by blood-lace on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:41 am

Nothing has to be a tragedy or a comedy but smart people can still make dumb decisions especially when they think or know they are right. Desdemona was wanting to explain her side of the situation and put some sense into Othello and in the Renaissance she couldn't have really gone to a friend's house or to her parent's place without being blamed or worsening her situation.

Yes, I remember watching 'Sassy Gay Friend- Romeo and Juliet' from my literature class. My thoughts were and still are 'This is how we ruin a good plot-device.'

blood-lace

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro on Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:45 am

She could have written a letter (some upper class ladies did know how to write). She could have hidden in the wardrobe and let her maid plead the case. She could have come up with something besides waiting.

Anyway, I suppose one person's plot device is another person's facepalm. C'est la vie.

Kuro

Back to top Go down

Post by blood-lace on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:16 am

Everyone and every character has the capability to act upon the right/intelligent option but it doesn't always happen. Coulda, woulda, shoulda is unequal to what is or what did. If she had hidden in the closet critics might complain she was a coward. If she would have sent her maid to intervene, they might complain she sees herself as inferior since she had to present her case through someone of a lesser station. If she had written her case out to Othello, he could have read it out of context to have it seem as he wanted it to.

The way Desdemona died by being smothered on her wedding bed is symbolic to silence her dedication that she showed in her opening lines and overwhelmed with being a good wife while still being independent. Sometimes characters have to be sacrificed for the plot to shine through.

blood-lace

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro on Thu Jan 26, 2012 3:47 am

Yes and sometimes you need to sacrifice common sense for the plot. Desdemona could still have been a tragic heroine if she'd flung herself off the balcony. At least that would have been active instead of just going to sleep. But no. She went to bed. Because when someone is murdered while begging for their life dedication is definitely what I remember them for.

Kuro

Back to top Go down

Post by Paula Ray on Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:49 am

I've never cared for disecting dead things.

Paula Ray

http://musicalpencil.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by blood-lace on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:20 am

Kuro wrote:Yes and sometimes you need to sacrifice common sense for the plot. Desdemona could still have been a tragic heroine if she'd flung herself off the balcony. At least that would have been active instead of just going to sleep. But no. She went to bed. Because when someone is murdered while begging for their life dedication is definitely what I remember them for.

I sense sarcasm.

Yes, but I the reality check is many people who are murdered don't expect it to happen or ignore it with 'it won't happen to me.' mindset. So it is believable that someone about to be killed would go about their usual routine, which may include going to bed. Besides, most mistakes are made by overlooking common sense. If people in reality can bypass common sense more often than I'd like, then why the hayell shouldn't a character?! Others around them might see the indications of their danger, however I've not anyone who will warn me of mistakes before I make them.

While the signs may be glaringly obvious to the reader. Much like that one chick in horror movies that goes into the strange room. Of course it seems idiotic to the audience. We expect the psychotic ax murderer is in the next room but the chick might be expecting a stray cat for all we know.

I also sense that you just dislike any female being 'passive' about anything and expect a 'good' female character to kick ass, put the man in their place, one up the guy, can do no wrong, accompanied with special effects all the time.

blood-lace

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro on Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Sarcasm? Me? Never. Rolling Eyes

You know, to me at least, the best horror films are the ones where you can't predict what's coming next. I giggle my way through haunted houses because I can tell you where just about every 'scare' is coming next. Knowing isn't scary, knowing is annoying. I like some suspense. For me that's where Shakespeare's tragedies fall short. They MUST be tragic, therefore everyone must die, whether it's in character for his players or not. I accept Romeo and Juliet with some hesitation because I do remember the silliness of 15 year olds. Everyone is nuts in Hamlet, so I guess that's okay. Othello is where I draw the line. I love the play right up until the end, then I walk away shaking my head. I think the worst part is going in knowing that she's going to be an idiot about it.

And it's not that I want all women to be a kick ass, shoot 'em up Mary Sue. I dislike when strong independent characters are kneecapped at the author's whim. That goes for men as well as women.

I believe, however, that we have irreconcilable differences in our views of Shakespeare. Perhaps we should accept this and leave it at that.

Kuro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top