Girls Halloween costumes

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Girls Halloween costumes

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:07 pm

As the father of a thirteen year old girl, I say... AMEN, sister!

It’s that time of year again. Grocery store aisles are crammed with bags of candy, pumpkin patches are cropping up on street corners, and, of course, costumes have appeared in the Halloween super-stores. And once again, my familiar frustration with the holiday flares up.

Don’t get me wrong—I love Halloween. The sugary confections, creepy stories, and cheesy movies are always welcome. It’s one specific aspect of the holiday that never ceases to irk me: the women’s Halloween costumes.

As I’m sure any casual observer of the holiday has noticed, Halloween has inexplicably evolved (or devolved) into an excuse for girls to dress provocatively for a night. To the deafening chorus of “Your point being?” emanating from my male audience, I’d like to point out the age of the female consumers at whom the costume industry begins pushing these racy styles.

I distinctly remember being a pre-teen and wanting to dress as a ghost or a ninja and seeing nothing but rows of belly-baring outfits in the teen section of the costume catalogue. Let me tell you, as a fairly shy, introverted young girl, walking around my neighborhood half-clothed on a chilly October night did not appeal to me in the slightest (to say nothing of how my parents would react to my immodesty).

This line of costume was unattractive to me both for its impracticality and for the fact that it was out of the bounds of my personal taste: I don’t know about other girls, but when I was younger I had no desire to dress “sexily” on Halloween. From my point of view, those revealing costumes were “adult,” and as a kid I had no desire to be anything but a kid. To me, Halloween meant dressing up as something cool or creepy. I soon discovered that as a young girl, this simple desire was not so easily fulfilled.

Read more:

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Re: Girls Halloween costumes

Post by Kuro on Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:40 pm

My mother made all my and my brother's costumes, so I never really had to worry about that. I will say I always enjoyed the after sales, though. Got some of my best toy swords that way.

Back to top Go down

Post by dgrintalis on Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:06 am

I always wanted to be something creepy or mysterious. I'm a bit revolted by how sexed-up Halloween has become.

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:28 pm

Thanks for the thread/read Tall T. I've got 8 and 11 year old girls, and I find myself thinking the same things around Halloween each year. (A holiday we all love, by the way) My girls want to be Darth Vader and Luke this year. I hope they continue in that direction for years.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:42 pm

I hear that. It's like when I was trying to find a one piece swimsuit for my four year old. I seriously couldn't find one! While she's in my care, she's going to be covered. When she gets old enough to make that decision, then she can do what she wants, but that isn't at 4, or 8, or 11. We don't need to parade our daughters around while some creep is hiding in the bushes with his cell phone, taking pictures.

The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosey on Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:25 am

Interestingly, I would love nothing more than to hold a pair of binoculars to my eyes and look at children being children, because I haven't been able to enjoy such sights for a couple of decades now due to my vision impairment. But I doubt it would go down too well with the parents if I did this, say in a park, for obvious reasons. Yet, for the same reasons, I also don't want to look at children even when they're within my field of clear vision - being about one meter.

My sister has a three-year-old, and my partner recently said to me, all excitedly, that we'll be able to let the small dude sleep between us whenever my sister is away and we get to look after him. My response to her was: pffft, like fuck we'll be letting him sleep between us. The kid isn't coming within one meter of me. So sad, but that's how I feel. Product of the times.

I'm With The Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:03 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top