H.P. Lovecraft

View previous topic View next topic Go down

H.P. Lovecraft

Post by scottmitchell74 on Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:04 pm

How is there not an H.P. Lovecraft thread?!

He's one of my all-time favorite authors across all genres. I love his complete weirdness and his sort of bleak, the world is miserable, take on so many things.

However, the dude was flat-out racist and elitist and that puts a damper on some of his work for me. I know some folks will say "those were the times" but in his case I don't buy it. Too many stories where it bubbles to the surface, too many letters to friends where it's stated. Anyhow...

The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
The Dunwich Horror
The Shunned House
Herbert WestóReanimator
The Lurking Fear
The Horror at Red Hook
The Call of Cthulhu
Pickmanís Model
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Dreams in the Witch House
The Shadow Out of Time

Back to top Go down

Re: H.P. Lovecraft

Post by Bosey on Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:34 am

I listened to a load of Lovecraft stories on audio a few years back, and really liked it. But yeah, a bit racist.

Which is kinda funny, since he was the blackest bitch in town.

I'm With The Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by davisac1 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:48 am

SUPER racist! I'm finding that I enjoy today's Lovecraft-inspired stuff a lot more than I enjoy the originals.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:45 pm

I'm a big HPL fan. I tend to prefer the stand alone stories like The Rat In The Walls, Cool Air, and In The Vault over the Chtulu mythos.

I think his greatest value is in the influence he exerted over other, later writers. The list of people who list HPL as an influence is almost a Who's Who of horror fiction. I can only rarely get into any of the Lovecraft Mythos stories by others.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosencrantz on Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:57 pm

My first and still favorite is The Cats of Ulthar, but I'm something of a cat person. The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath is also a great source of entertainment for me, just because of how trippy it is and its take on the Gods of that world, to say nothing of the weird creatures populating the story.

As for how and who he inspired, A Study in Emerald by Neil Gaiman is marvelous. Even people who don't like Lovecraft would probably find something about that story to like.

Back to top Go down

Post by Core on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:36 am

I'm currently reading 'Dreams of Terror and Death' It's a compilation of HPL's stories that are set in the dreamworld.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:37 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top