Writer in training

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Writer in training

Post by shadowflame1974 on Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:27 pm

My oldest has gotten the writing bug.

Last year he decided that he was going to participate in NaNoWritMo with me. They have a separate program for kids, if you didn't know. Neither of us got very far, but my oldest did get about 5K word written.

Last night, he was reading over my shoulder as I was reading slush for the FISH anthology. He wants to know what a good beginning is. (of course this is a personal opinion as no one is going to agree on what is a good beginning for a story.)

So could I bother you for some suggestions on any short stories you have read at any time that would be appropriate for a 14 yo. (no sex - yet- or really excessive violence) Disturbing imagery is okay as he likes horror, but no clowns please. (yes he doesn't like clowns, sorry guys.)

Very proud of him. Esp. since I could barely get him to sit still long enough to read when he was younger. YEA!!! to awesome Jr. High English teachers!

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Writer in training

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:14 pm

You can never go wrong with the classics:

The Monkey's Paw - WW Jacobs
The Cask of Amontillado - Poe
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce
The Short, Happy Life of Francis Macomber - Ernest Hemmingway
The Lottery - Shirley Jackson
A Good Man Is Hard To Find - Flannery O'Conner
The Comforts of Home - Flannery O'Conner
The Hunger Artist - Kafka

Those should all be pretty accessible to a 14 year with a good vocabulary.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:05 pm

My 13 year old, CF, is a voracious reader. Last year he made it him goal to tackle the Stephen King library and damn near read everything.

He starting reading Poe at 4 and then blitzed through all the kid fare and YA stuff before moving to "Things from Dad's bookshelf."

Some of his faves are RAY BRADBURY ("Something Wicked This Was Comes"), JOHN SKIPP, STEPHEN KING and H.P. LOVECRAFT. He is also a fan of ST...he has read issues #2-4 and pimps us heavily to the middle school crowd.

headbang

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:48 am

TT stole my suggestion of The Hunger Artist. I read it at about that age and it made a beautiful impression.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Tue Aug 30, 2011 9:57 pm

"...love the clowns..." Jats smiles returning from the bathroom where he had been racking his brains while brushing his teeth trying to think back to being fourteen again having to avert his eyes from the mirror to do so "...keep coming back to one book given to me by my 'best mate', not a short story but put the following two years in what you would call high school then into perspective, yes it has to be Lord of the Flies for me, though at the moment I am quite happy to have lost my Calvin & Hobbes collection to my ten year old..."

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:34 pm

"...here is a puzzle then and some one please put me out of my misery, he gave me another book, a science fiction novel where a bunch of school kids were sent to a distant planet on a field trip where they were supposed to be there for just a week, and they could choose which weapons to take with them, and on his older sisters advice the hero took only a Bowie knife, and a spare, that his sister gave to him which he strapped to his leg as back up, while the rest of the kids, much to his despair, turned up for the journey armed to the teeth, however, due to a technical glitch they ended up being there for a year..." Jats head hurts again having tried to remember the name of this damned book for years now "...ring any bells with anyone? As I do remember at thirteen this being the best thing I had ever read in the world ever, better than star trek even, and I would love to get a copy and pass it on as they thoroughly enjoyed my vague recollection as a bed time story as there is nothing young boys like more than a gory tale where a boy of their own age prevails then..."

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosey on Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:02 am

I have no idea what piece of writing you're talking about, but you've reminded me that I must track down the titles of a couple of movies I watched as a kid that moved me emotionally but only remain with me as a few remembered scenes. Scenes so vague in my memory that it's pretty much pointless trying to describe them - they could belong to a thousand different movies. So I don't know how I'm ever (tits, spear in heart, net thrown over guy) going to find and watch these things again. And I keep forgetting to bother to track them down anyway.

Bosey
I'm With The Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:50 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top