Dean Koontz

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Dean Koontz

Post by shelleyo on Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:33 am

I'm a Koontz fan, though I stopped reading him about 2002. By the Light of the Moon was the last one. I was so unhappy with that one and the one before it, From the Corner of His Eye, I knew I needed a break.

I have the first Frankenstein book but haven't read it yet. I keep thinking he's going to turn it around. Maybe this new one will be it!

I do think that despite my dislike with the sort of moralistic, overly spiritual preachiness turn his books started taking, a so-so Koontz book is still better than an awful lot of what's out there.

You know, come to think of it, I stopped reading Stephen King about the same time 2001/2002. After Dreamcatcher, man I just couldn't for a while.

Shelley

shelleyo

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:02 pm

shelleyo wrote:

You know, come to think of it, I stopped reading Stephen King about the same time 2001/2002. After Dreamcatcher, man I just couldn't for a while.

Shelley

Dreamcatcher was atrocious. It was during the period where he was losing me, but I do think he has really got back some of his old magic.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:37 pm

So many people hate Dreamcatcher, but I fucking LOVED that book. This was during a time when I still wouldn't call myself a fan, too. That book ruled!

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Dreamcatcher was OK, but I didn't love it. IMO, the real stinker in the King corpus is The Girl Who Loved Tom Gorden. puke

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:57 pm

See, I liked The Girl Who... All so objective. My least favorite two were Cell and the horrible, atrocious, made me want to punch people in the face Lisey's Story.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by dgrintalis on Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:03 pm

markgunnells wrote:See, I liked The Girl Who... All so objective. My least favorite two were Cell and the horrible, atrocious, made me want to punch people in the face Lisey's Story.

I loved The Girl Who... as well and Lisey's Story is one of my favorites. Ah well, tastes are subjective, right? There are plenty of authors (in the horror genre and not) who people ooh and aah about who simply leave me cold. In some cases, it's definitely their writing voice and in others, it's that amorphous 'just doesn't work for me'. Smile

dgrintalis

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:29 pm

That's what I meant, subjective not objective. lol

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:47 pm

Has anyone read Koontz's What the Night Knows? That one came out earlier this year, I believe, before this latest and final Frankenstein book. I thought it was a very cool return to form. It's a ghost story, basically.

It also had a cool digital-only novella tie-in called Darkness Under the Sun.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosey on Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:03 am

My first Koontz was The Bad Place. Someone gave it to my father to read. Said father couldn't get into it because it was too unusual and stuff, so I gave it a go, and ... exit God, enter Koontz. It blew me away. I really did see him as a sort of supernatural genius after reading that, such was the particular kind of feeling he opened up in my head. But after a few more books by him, I realized that it wasn't solely inspiration that wrote The Bad Place, that much of it was just the default Koontz personality transferred to the page. For some reason I had imagined that he'd pulled The Bad Place out of the sky, and that, as a result, each successive novel would be just as fresh and mind-altering. Not quite the case. So I've gone off Koontz, which I never thought would happen. I reckon, though, that if I hadn't yet read any of his stuff, and picked up one of his new-ish novels and gave it a read, that I would absolutely love it, and consider him supernatural. Well, y'know, the adult equivalent of supernatural. I envy first-readers, and those that can still get a buzz out of his work.

Bosey
I'm With The Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by blackthorn on Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:03 pm

Kenwood wrote:Has anyone read Koontz's What the Night Knows? That one came out earlier this year, I believe, before this latest and final Frankenstein book. I thought it was a very cool return to form. It's a ghost story, basically.

It also had a cool digital-only novella tie-in called Darkness Under the Sun.

I read them both, and enjoyed them - but I have to say I was more into the "pre-novel" novella - it definitely grabbed me. The novel took a bit longer to get into.

blackthorn

Back to top Go down

Post by Core on Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 am

When I first read Koontz I liked him, but as I have grown as a reader his characters seem to be two dimensional repeats of characters in other books. Also, the good guys are glaringly good and the bad guys are glaringly bad. There's no grey area or growth.
I'm waning on King too, he has a formula for his books and at times replaces gore for horror. I think his short stories are where he shines the most, he really nails it in them.

Core

Back to top Go down

Post by scottmitchell74 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:37 pm

Koontz is the next author I'm gonna dive into. Never read any of his stuff.

scottmitchell74

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:40 pm

Start chronologically would be my advice.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:Start chronologically would be my advice.
Probably good advice, but even his latest stuff is good. But start with something like Lightning or The Servants of Twilight.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:46 pm

Core wrote:When I first read Koontz I liked him, but as I have grown as a reader his characters seem to be two dimensional repeats of characters in other books. Also, the good guys are glaringly good and the bad guys are glaringly bad. There's no grey area or growth.
I'm waning on King too, he has a formula for his books and at times replaces gore for horror. I think his short stories are where he shines the most, he really nails it in them.

I could have written this post myself, this are my exact feelings. Are we the same person?

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top