Dean Koontz

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Dean Koontz

Post by Kenwood on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:42 am

As some of you know, I'm a Koontz fan boy. I've enjoyed all his books save for The Taking, which I could never finish for some reason. I've always meant to go back and re-read it, see if it was just a mood thing. I do like his earlier stuff better, back when he seemed to be a bit more creative. He still writes great books, but his ideas were more unique back then, you know.

Anyway, check out the synopsis for his upcoming book, 77 Shadow Street:

Enter the world of the Pendleton: The original owner became a recluse - and was rumored to be more than half mad - after his wife and two children were kidnapped in 1896 and never found. The second owner suffered a worse tragedy in 1935, when his house manager murdered him, his family, and the entire live-in staff.... Craftsmen and laborers working on renovations disappear or go mad.... For years, the Pendleton is a happy place, until a bad turn comes again.... Voices in unknown languages are heard in deserted rooms, everywhere and nowhere.... Disturbing shadows move along walls but have no source.... Images on security monitors show strange places that exist nowhere in the building or its grounds.... A young boy talks of an imaginary playmate - who turns out to be terrifyingly real.... A figure like a man but clearly inhuman is glimpsed in the courtyard gardens at night and in other locales, perhaps a hoaxer of some kind, seemingly oblivious of those who see it - until it suddenly takes an interest in one of them....
While this is surely not a unique plot, it does sound like something he'd have done in the 80s or early 90s. Guess we'll see. Sounds good, though.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Dean Koontz

Post by Suann on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:45 pm

Sounds awesome! Dean Koontz has been a favourite of mine for as long as I can remember. Can't wait for this book.

I also saw that you special ordered Indomitable by Terry Brooks. He's another one I love!

I think the only Koontz book I haven't read yet is Icebound - for whatever reason it doesn't feel like an "Urgent/I must read now!" book. I'll get to it eventually.

Suann

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:57 pm

Suann wrote:Sounds awesome! Dean Koontz has been a favourite of mine for as long as I can remember. Can't wait for this book.

I also saw that you special ordered Indomitable by Terry Brooks. He's another one I love!
Yeah, I'm a huge Brooks fan. Still annoyed by that Indomitable thing. Haha. I have the novella in Legends II, so it's not a dire necessity or anything, but still annoyed that the release date got pushed back by at least half a year and they felt it wasn't worth telling anyone.

I think the only Koontz book I haven't read yet is Icebound - for whatever reason it doesn't feel like an "Urgent/I must read now!" book. I'll get to it eventually.
Icebound is great. It's a tribute kind of novel, to whom I can't remember, some author. Haha. But yeah, it's a really cool adventure/suspense story. He's never really done anything else like it.

Have you ever checked out his early sci-fi stuff, or the stuff he did under pen names that he never updated?

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Suann on Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:08 pm

I'll have to make a point to read Icebound soon. I have a few books under his Owen West and Leigh Nichols pseudonyms but haven't been able to find a lot of the really old stuff - always got my eye out and I keep a list of his pseudonyms in my wallet (yep, I'm a book geek).

BTW - I agree with you about the Indomitable release date. You'd expect them to send off an email to anyone who pre-ordered letting them know about the delay. I'd be super annoyed.

I ordered some horror movie t-shirts for my hubby and friends for Chrismas a couple of years ago. I placed the order in September and was told I'd have them by mid-October (which was in line with what I had come to expect from them). I didn't even get the t-shirts in time for Christmas.....it was mid January before they arrived. They had legitimate reasons ( a fire in their shop that ruined a lot of their designs, the death of their artist) but what appalled me was that they hadn't bothered to let anyone know there was a delay knowing that people were waiting for these items as Christmas gifts.

I know - I got off on a rant there. Sorry.
Got that outta my system. :-)

Suann

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:11 pm

Check out http://www.koontzproject.com. That's what I used to start collecting the old Koontz stuff. It's a great site, but I fear it'll be shut down soon. It hasn't been updated in ages.

Check this out: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=I74M1W5M

That's stuff Koontz wrote for his college newspaper. Nothing amazing in it, but it's cool to see. =)

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:08 am

Who? Is this the person that wrote Twilight? Smile

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:15 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:Who? Is this the person that wrote Twilight? Smile
I believe so.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:47 am

*rubs hand on chin* I thought as much.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Um...huh? Thought you were joking...and I didn't get it. Haha.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Tue Aug 23, 2011 3:49 pm

I was joking... Epic phail! lol

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:14 am

Seeing a new Koontz on the shelves doesn't even make me pause anymore

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosey on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:54 am

Same here, Mark. Not that I read anything, mind you. But I get glimpses here and there, and Koontz is a little too moral and structured for me. He doesn't seem to draw from a deep well; rather, he forces patterns upon the surface.

Bosey
I'm With The Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:56 am

[quote="Bosey"]Same here, Mark. Not that I read anything, mind you. But I get glimpses here and there, and Koontz is a little too moral and structured for me. He doesn't seem to draw from a deep well; rather, he forces patterns upon the surface.[/quote

Much more articulate than I could ever put it, but yes, exactly.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by dgrintalis on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:29 pm

I like some of his older stuff, like Lightning, but I haven't read anything of his in a long time. The synopsis above does sound interesting, though. Sort of The Shining meets The Haunting of Hill House meets House of Leaves.

dgrintalis

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:31 pm

I definitely loved his older stuff, but now he just seems to write from a pattern, a paint-by-numbers sort of storytelling that lacks life and passion and excitment and surprise.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by hlf on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:18 pm

I wouldn't classify it as a pattern, at least not of the Mary Higgins Clark variety, but then I'm a still a lukewarm fan. I think his latest efforts, which have cooled me on him somewhat, aren't so much a paint by number as much a result of aging and seeing the world differently, being in a different place in the world. There's always been a certain moralism in his work, but previously focused on the failings of society, although I find his latest works much more filled with salvation and hope and optimism and who wants to read about that? Perhaps this newest will be a return of Koontz of old, who I found to be a much more interesting storyteller. However I probably won't rush to dive in until I hear good things. Haven't read his last release yet and yet not that long ago I would time my visits to the bookstore by his release dates. But I have to say that even if I'm not as enamoured of his stories, I always enjoy his writing. He has a style that's evident even in his earliest works, save one.

hlf

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:20 pm

I initially loved Dean Koontz, and read everything I could, but I eventually grew tired of him. Same thing happened to me with John Saul and Clive Cussler.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by hlf on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:23 pm

You know what they say: familiarity, contempt.

In contrast I was so-so on James Herbert's early stuff like Rats, but much more appreciative of later efforts like Others, Once.

hlf

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:30 pm

Koontz said once he only wanted his work now to reflect his personal philosophy of life, and that is his write, but I think it makes for boring and predictable writing. And there were times in the last few I read by him where I could see him recycling characters and events from earlier books.

And just me, but I hated when he went to that James Patterson style of writing, one sentence paragraphs and two page chapters.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:19 pm

markgunnells wrote:I definitely loved his older stuff, but now he just seems to write from a pattern, a paint-by-numbers sort of storytelling that lacks life and passion and excitment and surprise.
I can't disagree with that. But he's still writing good, entertaining fiction. His earlier stuff was most definitely more creative, had more depth, etc. I think he's just gotten older, his life has expanded beyond fiction to a point where it's the deadline that puts him in the chair rather than the muse, the desire, you know.

Unfortunately, though, that's kind of part of the business.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:27 pm

That may be why lately I flock more to small press writers who are not making a living from writing but doing it as well as a 9 to 5. I think on a subconscious level I feel there is more passion for storytelling there.

Truthfully I'm just a poor boy with a very limited book budget, so I just couldn't justify spending money on books that weren't entertaining me anymore. Not when I'd discovered writers like O'Neill and Newman and Knight and McBride...

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:44 pm

Well, I've been spending a lot of money on small-press authors, too, but when I read something by King or Koontz, I quickly realize that while ideas may be more creative in the small press, the ability to tell a great story isn't always there.

I've read a lot of shit stories from some of the so-called greats in the small press. And some nothing but shit stories, you know, like they just suck! Haha.

No names, so don't ask! =)

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:45 pm

King to be honest was starting to lose me for a while, and I was close to downgrading him to paperback only, but he turned it around for me recently.

I have read some small press books that dont' appeal to me, but the writers I mentioned above really grabbed me by the balls (in a good way lol) and now I'm hooked on 'em.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:02 pm

I have always loved King and never cared much for Koontz. I read quite a a few early Koontz title when I was young, as the library in my flyspeck town only had horror by King, Koontz and well, that was all. I neevr connected with Koontz...

I'm in the middle of a collection by MEHITOBEL WILSON. It's blowing my mind.

I'm with Ken, a few of the time these small press cats are all style not a lot of substance. But other times they are full fucking on.

"Dangerous Red", the above mentioned collection is amazing.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:44 pm

It's funny, King never appealed to me when I was younger. I could rarely get into his books, though I tried time and time again. But now, at 35, I love him. Even some of the early books that I tried and didn't care for or never finished as a teen were so goddamn good as an adult.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:26 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top