The [Google+] Invite Thread

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The [Google+] Invite Thread

Post by Paul Walters on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:17 pm

So I don't know how many here might be interested in this, but invites for Google+ are becoming a bit more widespread. This seems like it'd be another great tool for readers and writers to connect with each other, so I figured I'd start an invites thread.

So far, invites have been turned on and off at random, so they aren't always working. As of right now (July 13th, 2011), invites are available to be sent out. If you'd like an invite, just request one in this thread and post your email address. Once you've signed up, there will be a little "invite" button on the bottom right of the screen, so come back and spread the love.

Also, if you want to, you can post your Google+ ID here and I'll add it to this post so we'll have a central repository of G+ users here. That way, you can quickly start building up your network. The default G+ ID is a random string of ugly numbers, so I would suggest hitting up http://gplus.to/ to get a custom ID name, and then use that. For example, you can find me at:

gplus.to/justinpaulwalters

And for a handy how-to guide, check this link out for some tips and tricks on how to navigate Google+.

And finally, a cheat sheet:

Paul Walters

Back to top Go down

Re: The [Google+] Invite Thread

Post by Ms. Contesta McDinglenuts on Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:57 am

Circle this, bitch!

Ms. Contesta McDinglenuts

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:48 am

Q: What do you call people who bug you to be included in your circles?

A: Circle Jerks

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosey on Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:40 am

Y'know those things called glory holes? Holes in toilet stalls, for the insertion of ... so that ... in stall beside it ... can ...

Anyway, next time you utilize one of these holes, guys, draw a circle around it once you're done, and write Google+ next to it. With that marker you carry around.

Most of the dudes who follow you won't know what it means, but they'll be making quite the statement as they use the hole.

Bosey
I'm With The Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:06 am

I'm interested in hearing how Google+ compares to Facebook by people who have used both. A lot of people, especially writers, seem to have moved over en masse. Is it worth it? Do I want to commit to yet another social networking site?

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowflame1974 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:26 am

So far, I think G+ is great.
Unlike FB where you have to look at everyone's stream, you can just pick what circle you want to read. For instance, I have Friends, Writers, Artists, Music, etc. etc. The streams I look mostly at is Writers and Artists. I don't have to see posts from Acquaintances or Family if I don't want to see it.

There is a lot more open discussion over there. More like Twitter without the worry of the 140 character rule.

Yes it is another Social media place, but much more flexible than FB and you don't have to wait for the next 140 characters in Twitter.

Over there I am Sarah Hendrix so if you are on, let me know. Very Happy

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by portrait in flesh on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:45 pm

If there are invites still available, I can be found at avantgardea AT gmail DOT COM.

portrait in flesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Walters on Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:25 pm

Mercedes wrote:I'm interested in hearing how Google+ compares to Facebook by people who have used both. A lot of people, especially writers, seem to have moved over en masse. Is it worth it? Do I want to commit to yet another social networking site?
Personally I like it a lot. It's a good mix between Facebook and Twitter, and you can use it however you like. Personally, I'm just following tons of people and watching my stream for interesting stuff, occasionally posting or resharing if I see something interesting. But it's all in how you manage your circles.

Also, invite sent portrait.

Paul Walters

Back to top Go down

Post by portrait in flesh on Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:06 pm

Paul Walters wrote:Also, invite sent portrait.

And accepted. Now, to get my grimy little paws into the thick of it. Thanks. rockon

(forgot to give my contact info: Ramona Gardea banghead )

Last edited by portrait in flesh on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

portrait in flesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:37 pm

I'm not one to rush into these sites. It took me a long while to start up a Facebook page.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:17 pm

I dig Facebook. But it is tough having everybody together. Old friends, horror writers, and the special needs crew are all thrown in together. But it's cool because they all play nice. So far.

But most of the writers are moving to Google+. Why do you think the professional group is switching and not everybody else?

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul Walters on Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:02 pm

I think there are various reasons. A big part of it is probably that it's simply a fresh start. After being on Facebook or Twitter long enough, everything and everyone starts to sort of mesh together until you find yourself no longer using them because it's not worth the hassle.

With Google+, it's easy to create silos to keep this from happening. Sure, you can do the same thing with Facebook, but it's definitely more complicated, and you still have to deal with the reciprocity of becoming "friends" or you have to use an impersonal fan page to do so. G+ gives you the option of separating your personal, professional, and social lives with as much or little overlap as you want, all without the reciprocity required by Facebook.

You want to follow someone's posts? You simply follow them, just like Twitter, no requests needed. Have an interesting link about writing that you don't think your normal work friends will appreciate? You can specify exactly who you want to see it. I think it's the idea of starting over with that kind of flexibility and control that makes it very intriguing not just for writers, but for all kinds of professionals.

It's not perfect, by any means. There are certainly still some issues that need to be worked out. But overall, it's a huge step forward as far as I'm concerned.

Paul Walters

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:15 pm

Facebook is great if you create groups. When you see everything in your feed, it's annoying. Create groups--which I'm assuming are just like circles in Google+--and you can view only updates for people in those groups.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:08 am

Kenwood wrote:Facebook is great if you create groups. When you see everything in your feed, it's annoying. Create groups--which I'm assuming are just like circles in Google+--and you can view only updates for people in those groups.

Whatchoo talkin' bout, Willis?

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Thu Aug 04, 2011 3:55 am

Yeah, that sounds like work and stuff.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:11 am

Mercedes wrote:Yeah, that sounds like work and stuff.
It's easy.

1. Go to Profile.

2. Click the Friends link on the left.

3. Then click Edit Friends.

4. On the next page, click Create List.

5. In the Enter a Name box, name your list (Family, Online Lovers, Close Friends, Old Friends I No Longer Care About, Authors/Publishers, etc.).

6. Then just choose people (click their image below the Enter a Name box) to add to whatever list you've created.

Simple. Then to view news feeds from those groups, on the Home link, click Most Recent at the top and it'll show you all your groups. Just click which one you want to view.

It's makes Facebook much more enjoyable, in my opinion.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:04 am

Online Lovers
lol

I like the hodgepodge. I dig the overlap, in a way. It's cool to see Old Best Friend From The Goth Years and Church Lady have a convo.

Also, so many people straddle boundaries. They don't fit into one group anymore. Cursed boundary straddlers. Which is another topic entirely. I think it's interesting that we publicly label our associations. It's almost a problem if somebody doesn't neatly fall into a circle for us.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Well, making groups doesn't keep people from conversing, it just streamlines what you see, if you want to see just updates from bands, for instance. I dig it that way.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:20 pm

It sounds cool, but can you still see everyone if you choose to?

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:It sounds cool, but can you still see everyone if you choose to?
Yeah, just click Most Recent, and it'll show everyone's feed.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:50 am

I'll have to try that.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowflame1974 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:28 am

One thing that is popping up on G+ is long conversations with many participants. Because of the extended circles, even people originally not included can participate.

Like this one https://plus.google.com/?tab=mX#102598717561259337811/posts/N58GUmYFFtu

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:46 am

I think Google was headed in this direction some years back. I was invited to a Google-doc to participate in a joint edit. That was pretty cool. You can all chose a different color ink to separate comments and have continuing debate commentary the runs between story lines, (if anyone hasn't tried it yet. I'm always one of the slow ones to learn new stuff, lol.) A great tool though that's probably a big part of the reason more writers are moving there.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:45 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top