Clive Barker's New Collection--Will it Ever Happen?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clive Barker's New Collection--Will it Ever Happen?

Post by markgunnells on Mon May 30, 2011 7:34 pm

We all know that Barker blazed onto the scene with his Books of Blood series of short story collections. I fell in love with these books when I discovered them. His stories were bold and daring and unique and twisted in all the right ways. I find his novel work uneven, there are some that I aboslutely love and others I find totally convoluted and hard to get through. For the past several years I have been excited about the idea of a new collection from Barker. I first read he was working on one years ago when it was going to be called The Scarlet Gospels, but then the title novella--a Cenobite piece--started to grow and Barker put the collection on hold and decided to do The Scarlet Gospels as a novel. (A novel which as far as I know has yet to be completed.) Then about a year or two ago I started reading that the collection was back on the block, now called Black is the Devil's Rainbow. And then suddenly Barker's publisher dropped him from their adult line (they still expect him to deliver the rest of the Abarat series for the YA line) due to his failure to turn in any finished projects over a fairly lengthy period of time. So suddenly the collection has no home.

I'm very crushed, because I've always felt Barker's strongest work lies in the short form, and I've been anxious to see him put out another collection. Although at times I've just been anxious for him to put anything out, he seems a bit scattered, working on many things at once but finishing few. Still I hold out hope that another publisher will pick up the collection.

So has anything heard anything about Black is the Devil's Rainbow, if there's any movement there?

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Re: Clive Barker's New Collection--Will it Ever Happen?

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon May 30, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm not very "in the know" about these things, but I have to believe that if Barker can turn out enough stories with the strength of those in the Books of Blood, he won't have a hard time finding a publisher. Here's hoping he does, I really enjoy his writing.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Mon May 30, 2011 7:41 pm

I figure if Barker can't get a publisher interested in a collection, considering he became a superstar based on his short story work, then there's no hope for the rest of us short story writers. banghead

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon May 30, 2011 7:45 pm

He could always let Shock Totem Press have a crack at it. I guarantee we would publish it or I'd kill the others in their sleep, whichever came first. lol

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Mon May 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Barker has had a lot of health issues, he has been secretive about their nature exactly.
I know he was to be a guest at last years HORRORFIND convention which is near me and I was super excited to attend...then he cancelled for "health reasons"/

I LOVED "Books Of Blood"...there are a few clunkers in there but most are superb...and "In The Hills, The Cities" is still one of the best and most original things I have EVER read.

I agree about his novel work...hit or miss. He needs to buckle down and get some shit out there.

Maybe we should send him some issues of ST with a nice letter that says: "Clive, We still love you. We'd glady publish a story. Love, ST" and dot the i's with hearts and stuff.

Last edited by Shiney on Mon May 30, 2011 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon May 30, 2011 8:11 pm

Don't forget the box of chocolates and coupon for "One Erotic Massage".

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Mon May 30, 2011 8:20 pm

Why not send a box of Mark Gunnells and we wouldn't need the coupon.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Mon May 30, 2011 8:23 pm

Shiney wrote:Why not send a box of Mark Gunnells and we wouldn't need the coupon.

10 years ago maybe. Send a box of me now and you'll just get me back with RETURN TO SENDER stamped on my forehead.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon May 30, 2011 8:27 pm

I remember when The Midnight Meat Train was on Fear for free, Barker did the introduction to it, and he looked horrible. Very sickly, like he had cancer or AIDS. Hopefully neither is the case.

As for his work, I personally felt let down by the Books of Blood. I read them long after they came out, after I'd heard about how amazing they were, and they just didn't do it for me. Good, but not amazing.

Amazing, to me, was some of his novel work, which I'd read first. Imajica, Weaveworld, The Great and Secret Show and its sequel Everville. All four are brilliant works of fiction. They blew me away when I'd first read them.

Unfortunately, I think he went a bit downhill after those books. I didn't like Sacrament; and I didn't dislike Galilee, but it wasn't anywhere close to great. And I haven't tried anything else since, though I do want to check out the Abarat books.

Either way, I hope he sorts out whatever issues he struggles with. When he's on, he's flat out amazing.

Last edited by Kenwood on Mon May 30, 2011 8:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Mon May 30, 2011 8:33 pm

I loved Weaveworld, and I actually loved Coldheart Canyon which isn't a popular one. Sacrament and Everville are two of my least favorite. I didn't know what the hell was going on.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon May 30, 2011 8:40 pm

Weaveworld was brilliant and The Great and Secret Show was really good, but I didn't care as much for Imajica or Everville. Give me WW and The Damnation Game any day for his novels.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon May 30, 2011 8:43 pm

markgunnells wrote:I loved Weaveworld, and I actually loved Coldheart Canyon which isn't a popular one. Sacrament and Everville are two of my least favorite. I didn't know what the hell was going on.
Did you read Everville first? That's what I did. Haha. I found it in a bargain bin. It was my first Barker book, and I thought it was so interesting, but goddamn confusing as hell! But I kept reading because it was so intriguing, and eventually I picked up on all the various threads and loved it by the end.

After, when I searched out more of his work, is when I learned Everville was a damn sequel! Haha. No wonder it was confusing.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DgB on Mon May 30, 2011 8:47 pm

The Damnation Game was my introduction to Barker. I was nine or ten when I read it. Still probably my favorite of his.

DgB

http://www.writertopia.com/profiles/DavidGBlake

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon May 30, 2011 8:48 pm

I had the Damnation Game in paperback at one point (probably still do somewhere), but I couldn't get into it at the time, so I set it aside and never went back. I've heard it's great, though.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon May 30, 2011 8:49 pm

Did you read Everville first?

Nope. I was big into Clive Barker not too long after he first started writing novels, about 86 or 87, so I read them all in order. I gave him up after Everville.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by DgB on Mon May 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Kenwood wrote:I had the Damnation Game in paperback at one point (probably still do somewhere), but I couldn't get into it at the time, so I set it aside and never went back. I've heard it's great, though.

I found it in my grandfather's office when I was visiting one summer. I suspect it was a prop for a sermon or something. I sure didn't ask! Laughing I took it, read it, and put it right back where I found it.

DgB

http://www.writertopia.com/profiles/DavidGBlake

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Mon May 30, 2011 8:57 pm

No, I read Great and Secret Show first, and honestly I only found that one okay, but Everville left me just scratching my head. I still have Imajica and Galilee to read, only two I haven't...

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Mon May 30, 2011 9:22 pm

As for novels, "the Damnation game" is fantastic.

I think my favorite short collection of his would be "In The Flesh"...it was the first I read from him.

"Age of Desire" is nuts.

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by KrimsonKing on Wed Jul 11, 2012 11:20 am

I love most of what Barker does (hello, by the way; first post from a newcomer) but I do think he can be a victim of his own imagination. He's so prodiguous he can't seem to complete everything that he wants to get done, certainly not in the timescale his publishers would want. Ergo, we're still waiting to find out what happened after Cabal and his series of The Art remains unfinished. As for Abarat, it's been so long since I read the second one I don't think it's even worth bothering with the third one without going back for a re-read.

KrimsonKing

http://www.stefansingsswing.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:58 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top