Rediscovering the Past

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rediscovering the Past

Post by Kenwood on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:02 am

So I always hit up flea markets and Salvation Army stores and Goodwill shops. Typically I look for music, but CDs are becoming scarce in those places so I'm pretty much buying books all the time now. I look for the old paperbacks, stuff that exists nowhere but there on those yellowed pages, you know.

Today I snagged these:

Supermen is the third installment in Asimov's Wonderful Worlds of Science Fiction. I picked it up because it has an early Koontz story called "Muse" in it. This story was published in a few places back in the day, but I've had difficulty finding it. It includes other stories by Poul Anderson, Harlan Ellison, Roger Zelany, Damon Knight, and Robert Silverberg. These cats and a few others were like the SF Rat Pack back in the day. Pick up any magazine, or especially anthology, from the time and you're sure to see most of their names. And they wrote some great stuff, too. Sci-fi was a pretty dark style back in the 60s and 70s.

Fantasy Annual III caught my attention because it declared to feature "A CHILLING STORY BY STEPHEN KING, NEVER BEFORE PUBLISHED IN BOOK FORM!" I know it was first published in a magazine, so I thought picking up the book it first found a home in was pretty cool. If it's true, of course. I've never read the story, but I'm assuming the cover also depicts the story—which I'm now assuming is about an evil platypus. Some other authors featured here are Fritz Leiber, Orson Scott Card, Michael Bishop, and Harlan Ellison (dude was in everything back then).

Anyway, I think everyone should randomly pick up these old anthologies and even novels from places like I mentioned above. You'll find a good number of turds, but you'll also find some gems that you may never have discovered otherwise. At such a cheap price for paperbacks (usually under $1), you can't really go wrong.

I'll post more here as I buy more.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Rediscovering the Past

Post by steven pirie on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:26 am

Fabulous... I want to find some books like that. I'm going to try and do so this week sometime...

steven pirie

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:34 am

Such books have a real character of their own. I mean, buying a book from a store is all very nice, but it's also rather sterile. These books have a history only they can know. I quite like that there are dog-eared pages, and little notes sometimes to be found: "Ring Susan, Tuesday" sort of thing.

I'm not sure whether you feel that, or whether your excitement is at rediscovering the stories alone.

I dabbled with Bookcrossing for a while, and that was fun given each book's history is documented, but I drifted away for some reason. I might go back - I thought perhaps I might send out a copy of Brian on a closed ring (where the book ultimately arrives back with the originator) and ask everyone who reads it to sign it. It would be an unusual idea asking readers to sign books not authors!

steven pirie

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:08 pm

I have a lot of old anthologies like that, culled from my local used book store over the years, mostly. I've gotten out of the habit, but it was one of the ways I would "discover" new writers whose novels I would then pursue. I got tired of randomly buying bad books.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:10 pm

I buy shit at those types of shops all the time.

If the cover of that book is indicitive to the KING story, it is most likely "The Crate" which was printed, obscurely in a mag and then adapted for the film, "CREEPSHOW" in 1982.
Which makes it a score!!

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:08 pm

Shiney wrote:I buy shit at those types of shops all the time.

If the cover of that book is indicitive to the KING story, it is most likely "The Crate" which was printed, obscurely in a mag and then adapted for the film, "CREEPSHOW" in 1982.
Which makes it a score!!
Can't believe I didn't mention the story. Yeah, it's "The Crate." Recently reprinted in the latest Shivers installed from Cemetery Dance, I believe.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:13 pm

steven pirie wrote:Such books have a real character of their own. I mean, buying a book from a store is all very nice, but it's also rather sterile. These books have a history only they can know. I quite like that there are dog-eared pages, and little notes sometimes to be found: "Ring Susan, Tuesday" sort of thing.

I'm not sure whether you feel that, or whether your excitement is at rediscovering the stories alone.

I dabbled with Bookcrossing for a while, and that was fun given each book's history is documented, but I drifted away for some reason. I might go back - I thought perhaps I might send out a copy of Brian on a closed ring (where the book ultimately arrives back with the originator) and ask everyone who reads it to sign it. It would be an unusual idea asking readers to sign books not authors!
I definitely dig the history of the books, with all the notes and stuff. And names, too. Amazing how so many people put so many personal details on that first page, huh?

Autographed copies are fun, too. I scored a copy of Conscience, by John Skipp, off of Amazon a few years ago. It was the self-pubbed version he put out when he came back to publishing, you know, and in it was the craziest autograph I've ever seen! In addition to all the crazy stuff he wrote, it was autographed to Joanne, I think. Since Shiney is such a big fan, I decided to give it to him, but first, at Necon two years ago, I got Skipp to autograph it again for Shiney.

So now it's autographed to Joanne aka Sex Change Johnny. lol

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:31 pm

Skipp is the "signing books master....One of these days Im going to scan all the ones I have.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:07 am

Found this in the Supermen antho...

And not surprising, the group still exists.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:20 am

Super find Ken. That King story is my favorite, alongside Quitter's Anonymous. Another place worth visiting are the library sell-offs. The first day is for the finds. The last day they sell bag-o-books for $1. I have a library of my own. LOL You can find some excellent reference books.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by davisac1 on Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:40 am

Oh, I am nuts about that kind of thing. I have shelves of vintage crime novels and pulpy paperbacks. I may be the youngest living fan of Doc Savage.

Last year I scored a Hitchcock anthology that was just the bee's knees. He was amazing at putting anthologies together.

Come to think of it, I should find out when this year's library used book sale is...

davisac1

http://amandacdavis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 pm

I like the HITCHCOCK young adult collections from the 60's/70's..."Monster Museum", "Haunted Houseful", "Ghostly Gallery" and "Witches Brew" all are fantastic.

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:37 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top