Has Twitter and Facebook Ruined Forums?

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Has Twitter and Facebook Ruined Forums?

Post by Bosey on Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:51 pm

Hmm, it appears I'm not entirely sure what's going on here. Sorry if I came off as offensive, Jats. Lots of commas are indeed fine in the right context. I would usually take you up on your prompt to continue your third person thingy with some of my own, but am in no state for descent creativity at present ... just drifting round in a spin. I did enjoy your last fictionalization though (basketball-ization?)..

Bosey
I'm With The Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:42 pm

"...well to repeat the reply to a recent pm, no offence taken at all, in fact, thank you, for I couldn't have written it without you now could I..." as Jats here readies for sleep, up far too late as usual "...and when the mood strikes you I will look forward to it, as I see you are already getting in the mood making words up then..." as the chameleon here digs around for that gif that springs to mind now then "...in fact I would be shocked these days if someone could offend me at all on forum land since I have been writing as a persona. Though as for fictionalization, I reckon I am more revealing of self than most, as most just repeat the foibles of human nature..."

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:49 am

Well, from what I've seen, there appear to be far more antagonistic responses to your efforts at dominating Forumland than 'continual reqests to see more'. But I have to say that you guys appear to have been evangelical about your livewriting for some time, so I don't doubt you believe in your mission (even though I'm a bit baffled about what that mission ultimately is).

steven pirie

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:31 am

"...well..." Jats types quickly before joining the appearing sun now "...not all sites are as 'friendly' as this and forum-land is an education, or re-affirmation of those 'foibles' that we see better hidden in daily life..." as Jats gets annoyed here not having enough time to reply to this as he would wish "...like all writers though we are just selfish, and yes nothing more persuasive as passion for ones belief is there..." as Jats dashes for the door making haste knowing Flea will take over from Geneva though

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by fleamailman on Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:25 pm

Well, from what I've seen, there appear to be far more antagonistic responses to your efforts at dominating Forumland than 'continual reqests to see more'. But I have to say that you guys appear to have been evangelical about your livewriting for some time, so I don't doubt you believe in your mission (even though I'm a bit baffled about what that mission ultimately is).

"...ah now, I suppose what gives one confidence is something called landings, which to be honest takes a certain amount of flare, a degree of madness and lots and lots of guts..." replied the goblin, continuing "...I mean imagine that dolly the dinosaur were to now land on some entirely unknown forum, with scant regard for what that forum was about even, and then to start his self introduction in the "introduce yourself" section, save that one is writing in ones posts now, where very soon one is battling everyone because more often or not they think one is a third person troll, just showing off etc., and of course I am not without a certain talent in "swot the bot" too, but my goal is in fact the opposite of a troll, no in fact, I am trying to steal the show there, trying to create for them, and for myself too, the most hit to thread on their forum, certainly without malice or spite, simply out of the love of playing to them ones act now...", oddly, it was through these ventures then, that the goblin had landed on some amazing forums where the average writer would normally only be thinking of writing connected forums, continuing "...ah no, I will never dominate forumland as you put it, it's that domination and dogma that one fights here, no I am out to conquer forumland instead, yes, but it is exactly like life is, simply winning the unwinable while one still can, "to live is to win, and to post is to win too, but to build up those wins is to triumph" where there's ever a cutoff point both to posting and life, but once you know it's futile, doesn't your decision from there then somehow show you to yourself..."

fleamailman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:15 pm

Sleep Shocked Huh? Is this thread still going on?

Sleep

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:31 pm

"...ah that's more like it..." laughs Jats "...where if you had been keeping up now Kerr you would see we can play that game far better than you if you insist upon it like you do now then...though that's the problem with some so called writers they seem to have far more difficulty reading than your average troll, yet expect readers to wade through their monotonous derivative narratives that rarely add anything to the plot, pretty much just jerking off if you ask me..." Jats shakes his head laughing still as Kerr's words and silly emoticon's play right into his hands now "...give me speech any day, to lead you along, as most writers worth reading will always have something to say..." as the chameleon keeps a number of posts at the ready then, now that it seems he will be needing them after all, as he always does, seeing that Kerr was coming then

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:00 pm

Nope Jats you got it wrong, not the part as to whether I'm a good writer or a bad one, (Who can know the answer to that when we are all both?), but the part that I'm coming. One hopes to, of course, that's always a given...but in this particular case, I'm not. Bye now.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:38 pm

bye then, thanks for coming. A repost...

"...come and go as you please, say what you will, that's the point of random stuff and live writing, take what you will, as you choose what to leave of your self for all to see..." the chameleon dips into his box ignoring several alternative posts "...and that's the problem with some threads they are just full of post after post of saying nothing, except little negatives, unlike the eloquent critics, at least they are eloquent, albeit 'do nothings' too...you know what I mean, 'duh', 'yawn', 'really', 'shit' & 'smilies'. I think it's the curse of the short attention sp...oh look a cute kitty..."

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:55 am

Huh? Where? unsure I don't see no kitty.

Seriously though, it's good to see that when you get a little aggravated, you take less time to include all the 'said the chameleon' tags that set you apart from the very thing you wish to say. Usually, wanting to be different is a good thing, but in the midst of conversation, however meaningless, your method of disowning your words becomes little more than an aggravation to be ignored. Why go to a party if you desire only to talk to yourself?

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by fleamailman on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:37 am

Seriously though, it's good to see that when you get a little aggravated, you take less time to include all the 'said the chameleon' tags that set you apart from the very thing you wish to say. Usually, wanting to be different is a good thing, but in the midst of conversation, however meaningless, your method of disowning your words becomes little more than an aggravation to be ignored. Why go to a party if you desire only to talk to yourself?

"...that's because you already know who the persona is that you are saying that..." replied the goblin now, adding "...but then again, you could be someone new to this thread, where also, this post might be reposted to somewhere else, so identifying the persona becomes the norm for me, while the writing style becomes neutral as in "oh no, not that goblin again" considering that many posters on younger forums are rather touchy about anyone who writes like moses returning from the mountains with a bunch writing commandments...", meanwhile, the slot just ventured "...true, but what if there's a second character in the text one is writing goblin, how would one differentiate between them without naming the personas here...", "...well slot, I suppose there's that reason too, but also many of my posts are pinched without malice by other posters, finding their way across facebook I am told, somewhere I never go though, not that I mind their doing that as I am anonymous and my posts are freely given, so my writing style becomes the hallmark of me, something rather like when one goes into the national gallery in london, where after room after room of correct religious works one comes across some dutch painter or a room of impressionist's work like van gogh, the contrast is both upsetting and refreshing..." in fact, by now, being a few years that is, the goblin simply knew that after a while the reader just got used to it, much like when reading period texts in old english

Last edited by fleamailman on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:32 am; edited 1 time in total

fleamailman

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:31 am

Sorry, Kerr, but that's me dragging the conversation on.

But I'm genuinely interested in these guys. They measure success on the number of 'reads', despite the fact that judging by comments here and elsewhere many of those 'reads' are yawn comments or the more direct "bugger off!" Yet, like red rags and bulls, they seem to delude themselves that this is their audience baying for more. Indeed, they live for such responses because it perpetuates their posting.

And it's not something new to them - they have a long history of such livewriting - so it fascinates me that this is not a "let's see who we can upset and leave" thing, but rather some sort of calling.

And within it all they seek to convert us dour, deadwriting Johns to their persona world, with threats that our works can never sell otherwise, or derision that we choose to dare to talk of the weather or tat (what if we did so in persona?).

And despite my continued asking, no one but no one has so far explained to me how my lumbering into a forum, kicking the forum cat and trampling the daffodils is supposed to see the grateful forumees rush out and buy Bullying Ryan. Of course, my reasoned question could just as well be another yawn comment to them in that respect, and I'm truly duped into believing there really is something going on with this livewriting lark.

Last edited by steven pirie on Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:35 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

steven pirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bosey on Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:14 am

Being dumb.

Last edited by Bosey on Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hadn't readthe whole thread)

Bosey
I'm With The Banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:21 am

read some more then, in fact, lets go back to the beginning...

http://shocktotem.nice-board.com/t3847-random-stuff

"...well now then, let the show begin, trifles of your reality, a mere glimpse, a reflection, and a few small steps on the journey..." begins the chameleon, waking still "...roll up, roll up and step into the mirror which reflects far better than any photograph can, time to play a different game that others will dare not to play even, not wanting to look too deeply, the deal with the devil being struck long ago, and for the rest make of it what you will, please take generously, for who can put a price on dreams..." and so it begins now as the chameleon waits to see who wins here by it

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:23 am

No, if you're going to moralise you should read it all, Bosey; no one's under attack, there's no squabble, and no one's hurt. It's just a good natured discussion as far as I can see...

steven pirie

Back to top Go down

Post by fleamailman on Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:34 am

"....well now, perhaps people actually see you by your posts here, so imaginative posts would pull them towards you then..." suggested the goblin as a possible excuse for continuing this correspondence, adding "...whereas just sticking a link in the signature, a book cover in the avatar, etc., might have them thinking something else entirely, where again perhaps too you're asking "how to set up shop" to someone hell bent on trying to throw those merchants out of the temple, for who knows, perhaps you might even rediscover why you write now, well that is if and where you had no financial motive to do so now...", but the goblin wasn't telling anyone how to doing anything, saying "...people love panto, and yes ok I steal the show on their forums perhaps, ah but they still get a show for it, where within a space of a week it can become the mosts viewed thread on their forum, something like as steven pirie, alias dolly the dinosaur of course, doing a guest appearance on stocktotem's very own muppet show now, um rather like this thread then, so take it away steven, I admire deeply your writing style, I know I'm dealing with a quick mind and thank you for it..."

fleamailman

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:16 am

"...meanwhile then..." Jats stirs his morning tea, rubs his tired eyes and continues "...perception is truth hey, and my lethargy is tempting me to merely re-post some more, but, your well written response deserves a new one, even though I am merely repeating myself again. Some clarijatsfication then. Unlike what's going on here now, I do get annoyed at the pitiful sales of books these days, especially from new unknown authors, as for whether yours is any good, like I said to you in a pm, send me a free copy then, and I will let you know, my perception anyhow..." as Jats turns his head to the window here, knowing he must chase that sunshine before it is gone tomorrow then "...and as for the marketing benefits of this approach, yes for sure three hundred responses may be negative, though one will not, and you are only searching for the one, by merely writing just one post in-between talking about the weather, or whatever, and then posting it elsewhere, on and on..." as Jats now stacks up a hundred more leaflets which he will drop off on the way, knowing all he needs is one positive response back then, or for one of them to pass one on, yet knowing too that many will dismiss them, especially the ones that land on the doorsteps of the competition then

Spoiler:

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:19 am

The likeness is uncanny... Laughing

steven pirie

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:25 am

I think we should stop now. We're keeping Kerr awake... Laughing

Good luck with your livewriting, and though your persona might conquer the world, I'll always know you as...

steven pirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:28 am

steven pirie wrote:The likeness is uncanny... Laughing

"...my thoughts exactly..." adds Jats laughing too "...but still different, and I was just about to add that while he typed away in Geneva in some Bistro, I was writing mine here in the UK, in my little cottage by the canal, where he just beat me to the post button then, yet both of us responding to the same post for some reason hey..." Jats smiles on his way to make another brew "...yes Dolly, there could be a livewriter in you, just depends what you want to gain by it..." then adds "...or not then. Yes good luck to you and your book then too..."

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:08 am

Why go to a party if you desire only to talk to yourself?

cus one usually finds no one is listening other than to their greedy self, so, it's fun to go and say I told you so. A repost from a year ago...

"...it's a recession because they have told you that it is one, but look at it more closely, every recession to date has been investors withdrawing their investment in late autumn, causing the market to slump, whereupon an injection of capital from either banks or governments props things up until, that too, proves futile and one has the recession for sure, but a recession, like its namesake, is supposed to eventually return things to what they once were are they not... so now, with a trillion dollar debt and one dollar in ten going to service that debt too, and with far too much money in circulation anyway, and that ever unchanged "upside down demographic pyramid", still think it's a recession...it's a “default” financial musical chairs if you like where the music has stopped, america will survive, but it has filed for chapter 13 in all but name...”

"...and what of the poor little UK, now that Uncle Tom is on his knees, how fairs our special relationship now I wonder, as usual I'm not quite sure what's going on, but I can 'feel it', my hackles have been rising for many a year, predicting the housing collapse here in the UK, oh I was the dinner party bore then, while they twittered on about the beginning of their downfalls, then the rising inflation from my shopping bill, and before that the sell out of the company I had helped build, and I cherish my habit of seeing the signs, getting out by making other plans, if only I had used this gift to play the markets then, but shudder at the thought of what I would have become, and are these just the ramblings of a mad man supported by another, for sure it's not in the media, not in the US anyhow, so utter nonsense then, it can't be true, surely, yet over here, for all I abhor it, there is a glimmer here and there on the BBC, as an old much decried economics theory is now discussed once in a while, as they try to work out if its just 'dismal' then, or 'really dismal' this state we are in, and as for climbing out of it, as they would like to have us think...further to fall yet from this brink..."

Last edited by Jats on Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by fleamailman on Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:34 am

I think we should stop now. We're keeping Kerr awake...

"...agreed then, catch me or JATS on our respective threads, as we are not exhibiting there so much as wishing to converse with anyone mad enough to join us, as reading makes no difference, but feeding makes all the difference, um, yes you would be most welcome there, promise, our teapartys then, and madness could continue in earnest and kerr could ever be the dormouse..." replied the goblin thanking one and all for their input now, saying "...so who says this forum is dead, not I for one..."

Last edited by fleamailman on Wed Apr 13, 2011 6:16 am; edited 1 time in total

fleamailman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:43 pm

Hmm...yes indeed to all, but now it really is way past naptime. Carry on then.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:18 am

My own personal opinion?

Based on the examples of livewriting that I've been exposed to here, once I determine that is what is going on, my eyes glaze over and I quickly skip to the next post without reading it at all. I find livewriting to be incredibly dull. Sorry, guys, it's just my opinion. Smile

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by fleamailman on Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:55 am

My own personal opinion? Based on the examples of livewriting that I've been exposed to here, once I determine that is what is going on, my eyes glaze over and I quickly skip to the next post without reading it at all. I find livewriting to be incredibly dull. Sorry, guys, it's just my opinion.

"...probably true, but all posts become livewriting if we agree that the author is on tap with them, it's merely feeding to me, um, correspondence to you, and then, the moment you do a post that isn't dull to yourself, you think "gosh, all my posts were dull until this one post then, yes, but I'm glad I kept at it because I've finally succeeded to doing a post I like..." replied the goblin, who, being somewhat devious in nature, simply asked the dwarf in return to do a post that wasn't dull now because the moment one joins the fray so to speak one becomes part of it stepping onto its pages then, so the goblin simply said "...ah now, you can't blame others here, it's not like "you lot are the readers while I alone am the author here" as it would be with books or blogs, ah no, the critic becomes the author on the same page and the criticism cuts both ways becoming self criticism too...", whereupon the goblin just wondered which other thread on this forum, that the dwarf and the goblin equally members of here, was so read worthy as to make this one dull now

Last edited by fleamailman on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total

fleamailman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top