Has Twitter and Facebook Ruined Forums?

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Has Twitter and Facebook Ruined Forums?

Post by Kenwood on Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:54 am

This forum is rather dead these days, yet I see most everyone that used to post here on Facebook and Twitter all day long, talking to each other. I imagine there's a good possibility that our inability to stay on-topic has turned some people off of coming here, and maybe we smell, but that can't be the sole reason—or reasons. I've seen similar things happening on other forums.

So what is it?

Is the constant barrage and flow of Twitter and Facebook a better format for discussion? For me, a forum is a place for meaningful discussions, something the endures over time. We can bump a discussion from two years ago around here. You can't do that with Twitter and Facebook. Those places are like loud clubs, where everyone is shouting and everyone is listening, but very few people are having meaningful discussions and few remember it after it happens.

Am I crazy to prefer this format? I sure as hell couldn't have asked this on Twitter.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Has Twitter and Facebook Ruined Forums?

Post by fleamailman on Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:57 am

the goblin showed, saying "...I'm alway here, any post to my thread gets a reply, promise, but I'll miss new threads like this, most people will, where I guess I was lucky to have found this new thread even..." and then the goblin paused, knowing that what he had to say next was neither nice nor easy, but still needed airing, saying "...no, this is a nice forum, but unless you, as the admin then, make an effort to feed your minions, your minions will sleep on you, where you can't blame others for your not setting the post pace yourself, simply your forum is dying because you don't feed you minions, you're too passive in your approach in my view, where all these blogs-elsewhere menbers are sponging off you, why isn't their content actually here, why does this forum go without while allowing them to short change you like this, just using your forum as a "oh do come and see my blog please" place, where at least the livewriters here actually offer you their works directly, I mean of course I too could offer you my thread as a link from some other forum now, where's the difference then, at some point you have to turn round to these freeloaders and say "either you contribute directly or I don't want to see your blog link"...", and with that the goblin let admin shoot the messenger if he so wished but the writing was on still on the wall now

fleamailman

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:51 am

I think there's room for both, though I do wonder whether Facebook, and particularly Twitter, are really for people with attention disorders! Laughing

I think when forums don't get a turn around of new faces, the old faces, particularly if there're not too many of them in the first place, can run out of stuff to say. And then they lurk and say nothing.

Perhaps a forum recruitment drive is in order?

steven pirie

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:55 am

"...what Flea said, so entertainingly then..." Jats concurs, though growing tired of trying to pump life into this cadaver here, only hanging round still, as to date this is the only writers site that hasn't banned us for our heresy, and adds "...other than some fantastic poetry that made me seek out more of her works, I have seen nothing here since joining that has made me want to click on anyone's blog link, as I doubt too any contribution to this thread will too neither, as this is no different to Facebook, or Twitter, if you think about it. Whereas if you were to give me snippets of how you all write with every post, I might, if I saw it here, or elsewhere in forum-land, that would in turn bring me here to see more..." Jats shakes his head, stops writing and brings his hands to his face letting out a deep sigh knowing he is wasting his breath and thinking on the correspondence with Flea only yesterday where Jats is imploring him to give up on writers sites again "...at least Admin is starting to notice then, that's a start, though will anything be done other than discussing it with whoever's left..." as the chameleon looks in his store for a picture hinting at a metaphor "...though ask yourself this, did you find us, or did we find you..." as Jats supplies a link with obfuscated step by step instructions to get themselves out of this fine mess then, that will be ignored too

http://shocktotem.nice-board.com/t4099p15-500000-publishing-contract-no-thanks

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by fleamailman on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:08 am

("...well I concur with those who concur with me now...", replied the goblin, knowing that those who had nothing to say had better remember that this journey to self is only once, and that it would be a pity to have lived life without really knowing what was going on inside simply because one didn't write about it when one could have, adding "...if ever you know the depth of writing, you'll understand this post for it's truth now...")

fleamailman

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowflame1974 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:08 am

It is happening with a lot of forums, sad to say.

And while I think while FB and Twittter have something to do with it, I think that the economy and how people are doing in their personal lives have more weight than social media.
On another forum a group of us girls (and a very few guys) had a private room where we could discuss just about anything. It was not unusual to have 20-40 pages of discussion a month. Now, we are lucky to get a page and only a few people contribute to the discussion. There's a lot of factors involved but mostly people have drifted away because of things in their lives. Some are now divorced or separated, kids are more active, changes in jobs and businesses, and just plain busy. You can't fault that. But over the years the tone had changed. Instead of a very supportive group where we felt we could bring our problems, it turned out that everyone had problems and didn't want to contribute to the weight of others. I really miss those coffee cup discussions, where everyone (meaning at least 10 people) checked in everyday and said at least hi.

I really think it is the stress in life that doesn't give people time to contribute or they don't feel comfortable enough sharing problems. We all have them. It is just often easier to throw it in the closet and try to forget some things.

I stalk check a select group of forums everyday, sometimes quite a few times a day. It is the same with all of them. Less posting, less discussion, unless there is a strong core group that keeps things going.

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:16 pm

There's more activity in the contest section than anywhere else. It's still pretty robust there, though only around contest months. And let's face it: as admins, we're pretty busy, too. When it comes to ST, our main concern is the magazine. We have over 200 stories to slush through. If I'm on the forum, that means I'm neglecting my slushing duties.

You do have a great point, though, goblin. It's very true. Unfortunately, I think we're just stretched super thin at the moment.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowflame1974 on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:21 pm

I think that the bi-weekly challenge will bring people in and encourage them to post more. I hope.

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:50 pm

"...right then..." announces Jats exasperated reading the arguments/excuses "...I issue a challenge to all you 'proper' writers then. Create a persona, and a thread and get 5,000 views. Either on one forum, or as many as you like, there are millions out there, and many are as busy as ever, but using the same persona, and the same thread title. First one to do so gets £5 of my very hard earned money, yes a whole £5 pounds sent to your Paypal account..." as Jats puts his money where his mouth is then "...by all means add a link to your blogs, this forum, or wherever your writings are hidden away, and then watch the new members arrive, see more people reading your writing by it, and for those saying they have no time, well you had time to write your excuse post and be on Facebook, or Twitter yourself, and lets not forget these 'idiots' on there with the short attention spans, that's your readership that is, so keep it short and sweet, to start with. Every post has to be written predominately in third person, 'Random Stuff' and "The last person to post here wins' are not allowed, we will only hijack them anyway, and Kobold you are disqualified as you have already done it. Off you go then 'writers', go write..." and then Jats adds chuckling "...and I will bet the winner that £5 again, that once they have started, they won't stop..." yet the chameleon laughs harder saying they won't even start, not one he bets, eyeing the prize himself now, for what's that saying then 'doing the same thing over and over etcetera, etcetera'

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:01 pm

You're kidding me... if we had forums filled with 'third person personas' it would drive me nuts!

steven pirie

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:07 pm

steven pirie wrote:You're kidding me... if we had forums filled with 'third person personas' it would drive me nuts!
lol

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:10 pm

And not to mention that "views" aren't everybody's cup of tea. Views aren't necessarily indicative of quality reading. I'll often click in and click out just to take the red "New Content" warning off of the button. That way I can follow the threads that I'm particularly interested in.

Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather spend time on my personal writing and keeping with my online friends via other media. There isn't anything wrong with that. We all choose how we most enjoy communicating. Smile

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:22 pm

steven pirie wrote:You're kidding me... if we had forums filled with 'third person personas' it would drive me nuts!

"On the other hand" Tyrion mused, "a Steven Pirie who has gone daft might just be what we need here at Shock Totem. I think I shall pursue this course of action in the future." The Lannister dwarf pulled at the sides of his straggly beard as he thought of all of the implications, then hopped off the dais and waddled towards the wine jar. "Empty!" he exclaimed. "This will not do."

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:53 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:

"On the other hand" Tyrion mused, "a Steven Pirie who has gone daft might just be what we need here at Shock Totem. I think I shall pursue this course of action in the future." The Lannister dwarf pulled at the sides of his straggly beard as he thought of all of the implications, then hopped off the dais and waddled towards the wine jar. "Empty!" he exclaimed. "This will not do."
lmao

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:24 pm

"...so how's that book selling then huh, what's it called now, Bullying Ryan, or something like that, flying off the shelves is it huh, a plethora of positive reviews huh, more orders coming in from Amazon huh, signed up for a follow up already huh...you know, you could do with doing some self promotion don't ya think...no? I'm sure it will be fine, you keep doing what you are doing then, I'm sure it's good, don't worry, views aren't everything..." as Jats wonders if it might be written in third person and then turns his attention to the rest now then "...so how did this start off again, let's remind ourselves 'This forum is rather dead these days', ah yes that was it, maybe, just maybe, if you took up my challenge then you would learn a thing, or six about forum-land, or we could just have a heated debate about it here in isolation, until the inevitable end of just another forum..." as Jats laughs again seeing the emoticons coming now from these talented descriptive writers, though one shows himself briefly, albeit it in an attempt to match Jats sarcasm

Last edited by Jats on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Balor on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:37 pm

Jats wrote:

"...so how's that book selling then huh, what's it called now, Bullying Ryan, or something like that, flying off the shelves is it huh, a plethora of positive reviews huh, more orders coming in from Amazon huh, signed up for a follow up already huh...you know, you could do with doing some self promotion don't ya think...no? I'm sure it will be fine, you keep doing what you are doing then, I'm sure it's good, don't worry, views aren't everything..." as Jats wonders if it might be written in third person and then turns his attention to the rest now then "...so how did this start off again, let's remind ourselves 'This forum is rather dead these days', ah yes that was it, maybe, just maybe, if you took up my challenge then you would learn a thing, or six about forum-land, or we could just have a heated debate about it here in isolation, until the inevitable end of just another forum..." as Jats sees the emoticons coming now from these talented descriptive writers then

You know, you're pretty much a douche, and a copycat douche at that. Double trouble.

Balor

http://robertduperre.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:47 pm

Balor wrote:
Jats wrote:

"...so how's that book selling then huh, what's it called now, Bullying Ryan, or something like that, flying off the shelves is it huh, a plethora of positive reviews huh, more orders coming in from Amazon huh, signed up for a follow up already huh...you know, you could do with doing some self promotion don't ya think...no? I'm sure it will be fine, you keep doing what you are doing then, I'm sure it's good, don't worry, views aren't everything..." as Jats wonders if it might be written in third person and then turns his attention to the rest now then "...so how did this start off again, let's remind ourselves 'This forum is rather dead these days', ah yes that was it, maybe, just maybe, if you took up my challenge then you would learn a thing, or six about forum-land, or we could just have a heated debate about it here in isolation, until the inevitable end of just another forum..." as Jats sees the emoticons coming now from these talented descriptive writers then

You know, you're pretty much a douche, and a copycat douche at that. Double trouble.
funny

Our very first true forum insult. It's a momentous day! But let's not take this one into the gutter. You're all free to sling insults like adults, but remember this isn't Shocklines.

That said, I think our resident goblin speaks wisely. I often tend to not post things here because I feel like people want literary subjects, and that's not really the stuff I enjoy discussing. I can, of course, but I typically like to discuss random, off-the-wall shit.

So I guess I'll just start doing that. Moooooore posts! In first-person. lol

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Balor on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:01 pm

Kenwood wrote:

Our very first true forum insult. It's a momentous day! But let's not take this one into the gutter. You're all free to sling insults like adults, but remember this isn't Shocklines.

That said, I think our resident goblin speaks wisely. I often tend to not post things here because I feel like people want literary subjects, and that's not really the stuff I enjoy discussing. I can, of course, but I typically like to discuss random, off-the-wall shit.

So I guess I'll just start doing that. Moooooore posts! In first-person. lol

*bows*

It's an honor. Truly.

How about one more?

Here's a video of Jats and friends taking part in their favorite competition:

Edited to say: Okay, I'm done now.

Balor

http://robertduperre.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 pm

This was awesome! "Now the hipsters will rally around a civilian and judge them. Hard."

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:57 pm

"... marvellous..." chuckles Jats rolling his sleeves up now "...here we go then, the true depth of some of these 'writers' comes out now I see, and its clear to see too that you have not been keeping up Balor, for its all there in my posts if you care to look, for all those views cant just be Merc popping in and out, where you will read that unlike many 'writers' I freely admit I am a theif, but, more importantly, I am anonymous you see, and far better than you have tried to insult me, yet like those before you, I can see all of you too in your vain glory..." as the chameleon goes to work in the background now licking his lips with glee "...and you may be done with me, but I am sure not done with you now, to disclose more of your self as I have just done so, so easily..." as Jats gets ready to retire for the night now, not before adding "...and you are right Admin, Flea speaks wise words indeed, with which I concur, and both of us mean well with our advice which we give altruistically, however, some may need to learn the hard way that we face posts like that one, each and every day..." as Jats thinks they may as well ban me now as it will end in tears for sure and Jats has never seen a chameleon cry "...and further more Admin, if I can liven your forum up so easily like this for you then, perhaps I may be right in other things too, for Facebook and Twitter offer more of what most really crave... controversy..."

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:55 pm

Jats, you're more than welcome to stay here if you're going to be decent. This is a cool, no drama place to hang out and we like it that way. It's by choice. If you're going to be ugly, then we'll choose not to have you, understand? Play nice, boys. The sandbox is big enough for all of us.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 pm

I don't think anyone considered banishment.

I'm not sure I follow where and why this thread went to hell...a question was proposed...some ideas were spoken...and the next thing I know there is a personal attack on an author...and then things started getting ugly.

As Merc said, we don't need that. Civil opinions are cool. Even if that opinion is unpopular. We are big boys and girls here.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:34 pm

Honestly, the reply to Steven seemed a bit...mocking, I guess. Which is precisely why balor reacted the way he did. No one is getting banned, and you're all more than welcome to talk it out. Just don't start a flamewar. =)

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:37 pm

"...you are missing my whole point, perhaps intentionally, and personal attack, where was that then, quote me, where I come from its called satire. The only personal attack I see attempted is from Balor, which was met with applause and laughter from admin, and now you choose to condemn me, as I continue to say things you don't want to hear that's all, all very nicely of course, but quite intentionally, to prove a point...ask yourself this, when was a thread so busy last..." as Jats reminds them again of the first line from the Op "...read my posts again, and think on it...I'll explain to you big kids tomorrow further if it helps..." as Jats laughs at Merc flexing her muscles as admins do, recognising that tone he uses himself with the boys, and seeing that she has not been reading Jats then when nipping in his thread, otherwise she would know he would just smile back caring not "...one of you go take up my challenge, and we will see how you do, for if you want to understand forum-land it is the only way to do it..." as Jats laughs again at how every forum thinks they are so unique and different when they are all just the same, underneath, yet, while writing Jats sees that post above "...perhaps there is hope for you then, though I will say this to the likes of Balor the big difference between Flea and Jats is I am not as benign as he, if you insist that is..." as Jats awaits the apology that will not be coming, despite the fact it was funny being so wide of the mark then, as that's the beauty of being anonymous here "...ask yourselves this though, what have you got to lose by it, though from this glimpse I worry some of you haven't the stomach for it, who knows though, the ones that do might even get a book out of it..." unless of course thinks Jats that absent Kobold is beating you all to it

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:45 am

First off, I was making light of the situation, not applauding him. You see, satire, humor, can go both ways.

As for your satire against Steven, it reads like an attack on his success. Rather, it seems to mock and imply that his book is not successful at all. Furthermore, traditionally books are written in third-person, forums are not. Hence his wee jest at your suggestion.

Beyond that, don't pretend to be enlightened on the inner workings of forums and insist others are ignorant. This thread is about whether or not Twitter and Facebook are more appealing to people than forums these days, not whether or not anonymous, third-person reptilian posting would be a success.

As for your experiment, no thanks. You ask when was a thread so busy last. Of course, that's a misleading question because this is simply a few people replying. Doesn't quite hold the same weight that "busy" implies. But tell me, when was the last time someone responded to your posts as much as we have in this thread? Never. And you insist a forum of your kind of posts would make a difference? Experiment Fail 101.

You're a niche poster. We dig it, but there's a such thing as overkill, and you already toe that line.

Anyway, no one is condemning you. You mocked, balor insulted. Some would say you attacked, balor defended. Right or wrong, it doesn't matter. Balor is an adult, you're an adult—right? I think we can all continue a civil discussion without resorting to childish nonsense and silly threats of "I'm not benign," blah blah blah.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:05 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top