$500,000 publishing contract? No thanks.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

$500,000 publishing contract? No thanks.

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:30 pm

It sounds nuts on the face of it. Read his reasoning right here.

Interesting to say the least.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Re: $500,000 publishing contract? No thanks.

Post by Mercedes on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:54 pm

Very interesting! It's something that comes up more and more. Personally, I'd rather stick to the traditional route, but part of that is because I enjoy having an agent and somebody who knows the ropes better than I do. With the craziness that goes on in daily life, I feel better writing and then handing my stuff over to somebody else vs. forging out and conquering the world on my own. But that's personal preference only. Some people rock at this, and have the right temperament for it. Adventurers, ho!

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:58 pm

I don't know that you'd have to give up having a literary agent to self-publish. Seems to me a savvy agent could still handle that for you and you'd both have the possibility of making more money by bypassing a traditional publisher.

If I were you, I might think about showing your agent this link and getting some feedback on it. It's couldn't hurt.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Mar 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Very true, TT. I'll definitely think about it!

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:24 pm

It's a long read, but definitely worth it. Basically, it would be a win-win for you and your agent. You would get 70% of the profit rather than 17% and because your profit margin is higher, your agent makes more on his 15% than he would by going traditional. I suppose it's still not for everyone, but the business model makes good sense.

I can't believe I'm now stumping for e-books. I used to be the biggest Luddite here. Razz

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by LeeThompson on Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:29 pm

I read this early this morning before work. I like the idea of running both routes. Publishing my horror work through Delirium Books where I can get signed/limited edition to collectors, paperbacks, and digital, and then self-publish my YA, Westerns, etc.

LeeThompson

http://leethompsonfiction.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:41 pm

Sometimes I wonder if these guys are simply doing a brilliant marketing campaign.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:I can't believe I'm now stumping for e-books. I used to be the biggest Luddite here. Razz
You'll all convert.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:53 pm

Some people are fantastic at marketing. I used to have plans for marketing my first novel (guerrilla marketing, in fact) but right now with the current situation, I'm just too tired to carry my earlier plans out. Although you definitely have to market with a traditional publisher, the idea of pretty much market all on your own just wears me out! But maybe I'll have different, prettier ideas when my two sweet parasites aren't sucking all of the energy out of my body.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:25 pm

Mercedes wrote:Some people are fantastic at marketing. I used to have plans for marketing my first novel (guerrilla marketing, in fact) but right now with the current situation, I'm just too tired to carry my earlier plans out. Although you definitely have to market with a traditional publisher, the idea of pretty much market all on your own just wears me out!

But the point is... your agent is your marketer. You just write. That's what they are saying.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:24 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:
Mercedes wrote:Some people are fantastic at marketing. I used to have plans for marketing my first novel (guerrilla marketing, in fact) but right now with the current situation, I'm just too tired to carry my earlier plans out. Although you definitely have to market with a traditional publisher, the idea of pretty much market all on your own just wears me out!

But the point is... your agent is your marketer. You just write. That's what they are saying.
Or are they as well? These guys' success is mentioned everywhere; that's marketing right there. Whether or not that's what they're doing, I don't know. I imagine they're making a good amount of cash now, but when they first began openly telling everyone how much they were making, were they?

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:49 am

As a writer, you have to market the heck out of yourself now, agent or no. I had to market myself just to GET my agent, and then he wanted to know how best to market me to publishers. Nobody gets to just write anymore, but having an agent takes the pressure off a bit, I think.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:33 am

Exactly. No more (or less) marketing is required as a self-publisher, but the profit margins are significantly higher.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:46 am

I disagree. I think as a self-publisher the amount of marketing required is tenfold.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:51 am

Not for the same (or better) rate of return. An agent can set up the same book tour a publisher can.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Balor on Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:33 pm

Pie.

Last edited by Balor on Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Balor

http://robertduperre.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:33 am

Great counter: http://www.deliriumbooks.com/essays/doom-gloom

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:44 am

It is in a way, but only for the hacks rushing to self-publish, which has always been the scourge of vanity presses. It still remains a viable model for a professional writer.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:49 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:It is in a way, but only for the hacks rushing to self-publish, which has always been the scourge of vanity presses. It still remains a viable model for a professional writer.
But he's totally correct in that in the years to come, the market is going to be flooded with shit. And you can see now that many many authors are questioning how much they should charge for an e-book. Most are wondering if $0.99 is the target price, and they're doing so because of articles—or e-infomercials—like you posted.

But I still maintain that people are going to have to simply do something new. Your link has people putting all bets on e-books, while my link has someone looking to keep the old ways alive. Bottom line is, neither is going to happen; successful authors will use a mix of both and other things we haven't thought of yet to achieve that success.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:28 pm

Kenwood wrote:But he's totally correct in that in the years to come, the market is going to be flooded with shit.

It already is. In part that is the big problem to be overcome with POD, and one reason why we need more quality writers getting onboard with the technology. No offense to Delirium, he does great work, and a lot of his points are well taken, but I think there is a place for an author and agent going the direct route and bypassing the publishing industry altogether. That's what we are doing, isn't it?

And you can see now that many many authors are questioning how much they should charge for an e-book. Most are wondering if $0.99 is the target price, and they're doing so because of articles—or e-infomercials—like you posted.

If they end up making more profit, why not do it?

But I still maintain that people are going to have to simply do something new. Your link has people putting all bets on e-books, while my link has someone looking to keep the old ways alive. Bottom line is, neither is going to happen; successful authors will use a mix of both and other things we haven't thought of yet to achieve that success.

It's the mix that I'm stumping for, in a way. Maybe we're just talking past one another. scratch

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:41 pm

But I still maintain that people are going to have to simply do something new. Your link has people putting all bets on e-books, while my link has someone looking to keep the old ways alive. Bottom line is, neither is going to happen; successful authors will use a mix of both and other things we haven't thought of yet to achieve that succes

"...couldn't agree more..." responds Jats who has read this thread with interest "...and I look forward to the day more do, rather than just waste time arguing about it then, in-between chatting about the weather and how they have boosted the economy with their latest purchase, and the like, for imagine if really good writers like you lot cottoned on then, who would supersede in next to no time for sure my thousand plus regular readers, and hundreds of thousands of views gathered in twelve months while merely idly dabbling at it, being proper writers n all..." Jats chuckles awhile before continuing his blasphemous run on sentence "...and when those thousand readers becomes ten, or a hundred thousand across forum-land you will be famous, or infamous perhaps, for it. Either way they will want more of you, for once the usual stuff has been read they will be looking for something to read on all these e-readers then..." and then Jats adds "...not that I want the same as you by it, for me it is the journey alone, though I will be one of the first, and so will always be legend then..." where the chameleon ponders now whether most don't have thick enough skins for it, for what other reason is there not to try it other than they didn't think of it

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:03 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top