The State of my local Library

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The State of my local Library

Post by EffieCollins on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm

A couple Saturdays ago, my husband and two younger children went to the local library (which is actually a few towns over from where I live) while my older son and I went to the animal shelter; he to serve community service and me because his age required he be accompanied by a parent.

With no school for snow, and no electricity... we went to the library again a few days later, this time we all got to go!

The library has just gained a new facility - this has been a years long project. The rebuilding of a historical building (1920's or '30's) took tons of funding that trickled in at a snail's pace. But the place is done, beautiful and open for business. Every dollar collected went into the restoration and now, the books they had at the older (much smaller) facility are mostly what they have on the shelves. They do have some new books, but their horror section is sadly lacking.

Being me, I went up to the librarian and asked where the horror and suspense were (among a couple other genres). She smiled a little sadly and told me that they didn't have much other than Koontz and King, except for the classics. And it made me sad, you know? So I started talking to her as she showed me the few selections they did have other than the big names. There were somewhere between 14 and 18 selections. Granted, some may have been checked out, but she claimed it was only a small few. I asked her if she thought the library would be open to book donations of the horror and suspense variety. And I swear, that woman's face lit up. She said they'd love to get some new horror/suspense authors on their shelves, but the funding just isn't there yet.

So guess what I'm here for? If you're a writer with a print novel, anthology, collection, whatever in the horror, dark fiction, thriller or suspense genres (mystery is a little lacking too, but you know) and you have a copy you'd like to donate, I'm asking you to do that. Why? Because we, as writers, should? Yes, I'd like to think so. Libraries are important places. And you know, if you want to go a step further, check out some of the local libraries around you, or even a few hours away. Do they have a section that could use expanding that you could help with? And it even has some benefit for you... would any of these people know who you are if they hadn't encountered something of yours at that library? Representing yourself a little doesn't hurt a thing.

Anyhow, here is my local library's website. Anyone who wishes can contact them directly from there - phone number and address are:

Princeton Public Library
920 Mercer Street
Princeton, WV 24740

(304)487-5045

http://princetonlibrarywv.com/site/

Thanks in advance to you all.

~Effie

EffieCollins

http://efcollins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The State of my local Library

Post by Shiney on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:22 pm

One of our rarely seen totemites (Madderviolet) works for the Library system here where we live, and she got copies of SHOCK TOTEM into all the local libraries as well as actively seeks out and tries to support small press publications by having the library powers purchase titles for the branches.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by LeeThompson on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Very cool, Effie and Shiney.

LeeThompson

http://leethompsonfiction.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EffieCollins on Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:58 pm

Shiney wrote:One of our rarely seen totemites (Madderviolet) works for the Library system here where we live, and she got copies of SHOCK TOTEM into all the local libraries as well as actively seeks out and tries to support small press publications by having the library powers purchase titles for the branches.

That's awesome. Good for her! Things like that make me happy.

EffieCollins

http://efcollins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:08 pm

I donated copies of ST to my local public and university library. I'd be willing to do the same for yours, but I'm still waiting on multiple copies of issue #3. I have one, and need to get the funds together for more. When I do, I'll send copies along.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 9:10 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top