Thomas Ligotti

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Thomas Ligotti

Post by Shiney on Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:55 pm

I must say I am now totally ashamed at the fact I have never ead this man before. I picked up a copy of "The Nightmare Factory" at the market today and read the first few stories...Awesome!!!!

Anyone know anything about this fellow? I tried a google and got that he is pretty reclusive.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Re: Thomas Ligotti

Post by JNewman on Mon May 02, 2011 1:35 pm

I need to give his work another chance. I tried it several years ago, and while reading it I just felt . . . dumb. heh

J.N.

JNewman

http://www.james-newman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by davisac1 on Mon May 02, 2011 2:24 pm

My only Ligotti exposure is this comics adaptation: http://www.amazon.com/Nightmare-Factory-Joe-Harris/dp/0061243531/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

I wasn't a fan. If you loved it, though, I may have to hunt down the originals.

davisac1

http://amandacdavis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Mon May 02, 2011 5:30 pm

The prose is a bit.....heavy. Like trying to read classic works by Lovecraft or Derelith or something, but much more scholarish, sorta.

Smile

But it's strange stuff...I dug it.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Red Dog 344 on Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:33 pm

Ligotti's collection Teatro Grottesco has some stories that will try your patience (one is a story about performance art that is itself sort of a work of performance art), but others that are incredibly funny--in a dark and twisted way. "The Town Manager," for example.

Ligotti is very mesmerizing. He can repeat a simple word or name for something ("Gas Station Carnivals") until you no longer trust your own grip on the English language.

His first collection of stories, Songs of a Dead Dreamer is interesting--you get to see Ligotti before he was Ligotti, trying out different styles.

This may seem like an odd comparison, but Ligotti reminds me of Kelly Link's short fiction--it's so clever, but the cleverness is so visible that it almost gets in the way of the fiction. Hard to get lost in the story when the author's pulling rabbits out of hats right in front of you. But you can't help but admire the skill.

Red Dog 344

Back to top Go down

Post by Bordo on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Shiney wrote:The prose is a bit.....heavy. Like trying to read classic works by Lovecraft or Derelith or something, but much more scholarish, sorta.

Smile

But it's strange stuff...I dug it.

Totally agree.

Bordo

Back to top Go down

Post by mrkilpatrick on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:22 pm

someone once said of Ligotti: "It's a skilled writer indeed who can suggest a horror so shocking that one is grateful it was kept offstage."

I've read very little Ligotti, but I like what I've seen so far.

mrkilpatrick

Back to top Go down

Post by marzioli on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:10 pm

I just got into Ligotti off of a recommendation by a fellow Laird Barron fan. I started with his collection Teatro Grottesco (because, unlike the rest of his releases--which are out of print or part of some limited edition-- this one was under $10). I wasn't a big fan at first, but by the time I hit the Clown Puppet I was hooked. The only thing I don't like about him is that he's not the type of writer I'd want to emulate, like Barron or Ramsey Campbell, so I only read it for entertainment.

I wouldn't say anything I've read so far has been horrifying, or even slightly scary, but it's fun. To be fair to Ligotti, I haven't been touched emotionally (fear or otherwise) since Peter Straub's Ghost Story or Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House, back when I was in my early teens.

marzioli

http://marzioli.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:33 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top