Quiet lately, no?

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Kenwood on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:40 pm

WHAM! Story.

I'm such a pessimist. You call it Submission Land, I call it the Rejectiverse. lol

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns




Kenwood
Admin

Posts : 17553
Join date : 2008-08-20
Age : 40
Location : Brockton, MA

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by dgrintalis on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:43 pm

Oh, I'm a total pessimist when it comes to my own words. I'm pretty sure Rejectiverse is where the Submission Train is headed.

Very Happy

dgrintalis

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Maryland

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Shiney on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:47 pm

I still totally wanna read the haunted photo album thing. rockon

_________________
"He's angry that I make his loins sweat"

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Posts : 9560
Join date : 2008-08-20
Age : 45
Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by dgrintalis on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:54 pm

Shiney wrote:I still totally wanna read the haunted photo album thing.

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out post-edits. The first draft was mule puke. Very Happy

dgrintalis

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Maryland

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Shiney on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:55 pm

lol

_________________
"He's angry that I make his loins sweat"

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Posts : 9560
Join date : 2008-08-20
Age : 45
Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Mercedes on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:35 pm

I'm totally drawn in by your title and chapter headings! I'd buy it based on those alone, for real.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Posts : 10655
Join date : 2008-11-06
Location : Las Vegas

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Haggis on Wed Dec 01, 2010 11:39 pm

Mercedes wrote:I'm totally drawn in by your title and chapter headings! I'd buy it based on those alone, for real.

What she said. Smile

Haggis

Posts : 161
Join date : 2009-08-21

http://stewiechihuey.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by steven pirie on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:41 am

Just a thought, but how do your skinless people keep their insides in?

Despite being utterly flu-ed up, I managed to rattle off a 5k word story about a book that didn't exist but would do anything to be written. Add a female protagonist whose relationship is failing, and the recipe was there for some dastardly deeding. It's done, thouroughly edited and subbed. (Ding) Next.

I truly love writing in the female POV. You girls are far more interesting than us grunting blokes. Smell nicer, too... Laughing


Last edited by steven pirie on Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : why not?)

steven pirie

Posts : 647
Join date : 2008-10-04

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Mercedes on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:11 pm

Smell nicer, too... Laughing


We put more work into it, that's all. Like showers, and stuff. Wink

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Posts : 10655
Join date : 2008-11-06
Location : Las Vegas

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by dgrintalis on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:37 pm

steven pirie wrote:Just a thought, but how do your skinless people keep their insides in?

Well, they have dayskins and nightskins and that's all I'm all I'm going to reveal right now. Very Happy

steven pirie wrote:Despite being utterly flu-ed up, I managed to rattle off a 5k word story about a book that didn't exist but would do anything to be written. Add a female protagonist whose relationship is failing, and the recipe was there for some dastardly deeding. It's done, thouroughly edited and subbed. (Ding) Next.

Oooh, your story about the nonexistent book sounds very cool. Smile

steven pirie wrote:I truly love writing in the female POV. You girls are far more interesting than us grunting blokes. Smell nicer, too... Laughing

Very Happy

dgrintalis

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Maryland

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by dgrintalis on Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:54 pm

I subbed Like Origami in Water to a zine 3 days ago. I just got an email in my inbox and figured it was a rejection. 3 days, right? That's definitely running on rejection time. Um, nope, not yet anyway. LOIW has moved up a notch to the editorial board. Please keep your fingers crossed for my wee little story.

Because I'm a pessimist, I'm sort of figuring it will ultimately get rejected, but hey, that's what I thought about my story sub to NT too and sho' nuf, that one made it in. A redhead can hope, right? Very Happy

dgrintalis

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Maryland

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by steven pirie on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:44 pm

dgrintalis wrote:
Well, they have dayskins and nightskins and that's all I'm all I'm going to reveal right now. Very Happy


Ah, sounds intriguing.

And good luck with Origami...

steven pirie

Posts : 647
Join date : 2008-10-04

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by amrose on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:52 pm

Mercedes wrote:I'm totally drawn in by your title and chapter headings! I'd buy it based on those alone, for real.

The headings remind me of...was it Hero? Where each telling of the story was art directed in a different color until you finally got the true version of the intrigue in white?

Love strong color symbolism.

amrose

Posts : 177
Join date : 2010-01-27
Age : 32
Location : Metairie, LA

http://www.amrose25.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Kerr on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:44 am

steven pirie wrote:Just a thought, but how do your skinless people keep their insides in?

I'd say the muscles do that. The skin's more like the finish coat on furniture keeping out dirt/germs. You'd be exposed to everything. And that apparently doesn't solve the problem of pain as burn victims have the worst. But then again I suppose the fried nerve-endings are healing along with the skin as they scrub them away daily. Anyhow, they're not necessarily anything like humans.

Kerr

Posts : 544
Join date : 2010-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Shiney on Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:10 am

I find it difficult to write from a female perspective....I can start a good story but inevitably become distracted by my breasts and slink off somewhere to be alone.... Very Happy

_________________
"He's angry that I make his loins sweat"

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Posts : 9560
Join date : 2008-08-20
Age : 45
Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by dgrintalis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:31 pm


dgrintalis

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Maryland

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by JaymGates on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Breasts *are* rather distracting...Wait, did I say that out loud? Sorry.

This was the first month of me editing Crossed Genres with Natania Barron, so we had a lot of extra work, setting ourselves up for that. 4 days of spreadsheets, emails, chats, bitching and whining. I kid you not, that was my holiday. That, and the day job bending me over and thoroughly, well, you know what.

And getting the query ready for the agent, and getting next month's subs done, and getting ready for the first print issue of CG, and keeping the PR stuff going. On top of that, I'm doing quite a bit for the local TV show I'm helping found.

AND, speaking of rewriting submissions for here: I pulled out Calico Cat Threads of Music and ran it by my critique group. Since we're primarily writers with strong New Weird influence, it was quite informative. I'm hoping to send that out on Monday, probably to Mythic Delirium, first.

JaymGates

Posts : 134
Join date : 2010-01-23
Age : 28
Location : North Carolina

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Kenwood on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:52 pm

JaymGates wrote:Breasts *are* rather distracting...Wait, did I say that out loud? Sorry.

This was the first month of me editing Crossed Genres with Natania Barron, so we had a lot of extra work, setting ourselves up for that. 4 days of spreadsheets, emails, chats, bitching and whining. I kid you not, that was my holiday. That, and the day job bending me over and thoroughly, well, you know what.
lmao

I know you didn't intend this, but that first line just made the next paragraph seem absurd. "Natania and I didn't get shit done! Our massive boobs are just way too distracting." Laughing

Speaking of Natania (not her boobs), has anyone else read "Dr. Adderson's Lens?" It was recently reprinted in Bull Spec #1, and it's easily one of the best stories I've read in years. Just a brilliant piece of steampunk.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns




Kenwood
Admin

Posts : 17553
Join date : 2008-08-20
Age : 40
Location : Brockton, MA

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Shiney on Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:54 pm

You had me read that at STSF. I think...It was cool.

_________________
"He's angry that I make his loins sweat"

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Posts : 9560
Join date : 2008-08-20
Age : 45
Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by dgrintalis on Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 pm

I have the first 1,300 words of my weird story edited and pretty (at least enough so for now). I think I might put it in the secret room of hidden words, if anyone is interested in taking a peek.

ETA: Sorry, guys. I tried to post the first part of the story, but I had way too many formatting issues with the line spacing as well as the spacing between words. (They kept getting smooshed together - the first time I've ever had that happen here.)

dgrintalis

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Maryland

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by steven pirie on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:46 pm

Shiney wrote:I find it difficult to write from a female perspective....I can start a good story but inevitably become distracted by my breasts and slink off somewhere to be alone.... Very Happy


Haha, now that's the ultimate immersion in one's character...

steven pirie

Posts : 647
Join date : 2008-10-04

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by steven pirie on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:48 pm

dgrintalis wrote:I have the first 1,300 words of my weird story edited and pretty (at least enough so for now). I think I might put it in the secret room of hidden words, if anyone is interested in taking a peek.

ETA: Sorry, guys. I tried to post the first part of the story, but I had way too many formatting issues with the line spacing as well as the spacing between words. (They kept getting smooshed together - the first time I've ever had that happen here.)

I'm sure Ken explains how to overcome that... somewhere, which is, erm, useful from me... unsure

steven pirie

Posts : 647
Join date : 2008-10-04

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by dgrintalis on Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:52 pm

I figured it out. I had cut and pasted it into another Word doc, saving that doc as text, but when I copied the text over, it was a hot mess. I just pasted the text into Notepad and then copied that text over to the forum and it worked. It must be an issue with Word formatting, even when a Word doc is saved as plain text.

Smile

dgrintalis

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Maryland

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Kenwood on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:45 pm

dgrintalis wrote:I figured it out. I had cut and pasted it into another Word doc, saving that doc as text, but when I copied the text over, it was a hot mess. I just pasted the text into Notepad and then copied that text over to the forum and it worked. It must be an issue with Word formatting, even when a Word doc is saved as plain text.

Smile
Did you read the top thread there? Not sure if that would have helped, but it may explain why things went wonky.

_________________
"Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns




Kenwood
Admin

Posts : 17553
Join date : 2008-08-20
Age : 40
Location : Brockton, MA

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by dgrintalis on Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:55 pm

*blushes*

No, Ken, I didn't. This was the first time I had problems, though. Granted, I don't think I've posted a lot, but I don't recall having the issue before. All is well that ends well, though, and now I know what to do for future reference.

dgrintalis

Posts : 1032
Join date : 2009-10-20
Location : Maryland

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Quiet lately, no?

Post by Sponsored content Today at 8:47 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum