PayPal

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PayPal

Post by Argentus on Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:06 pm

I do not have a PayPal account, but I imagine others here do. It seems that most paying on-line publications require a submitter to have a PayPal account for payment to be made if their work is accepted. I have gone to the PayPal website and looked around, but I would like to ask the opinions of those here who utilize it to receive payments for accepted submitted work. Exactly what PayPal account would I need to receive payments if my work is accepted? Is it Merchant, or something else? Do I need a particular kind of bank account, such as a statement account, to attach to a PayPal account? Their stated fees for this type of account, if I was reading it right, was 2.9% + $0.30 for any payment received up to $3000. Is this accurate, or is there more to it? And do they take this fee right out of your account, or do they bill you for it? I know these are a lot of questions, but I would appreciate any information and insights you can give me. Thanks!

Argentus

Back to top Go down

Re: PayPal

Post by Kenwood on Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:50 pm

I've been using Paypal since 1999, pretty much right after it started, and I've never had any issues. You don't need a merchant account, just a regular personal account. You can tie it into a credit card, a savings account, or a checking account. If you're outside the US, not sure what kind of accounts you have.

The fees are understandable, but can be a bit absurd when you use Paypal for an eBay transaction and you get charged fees by BOTH places. Absurd because eBay owns Paypal. You'd think one fee would be enough in those instances.

Either way, I've never had issues with Paypal. Be warned, though, if you dispute something, or someone makes a claim against you, a hold is placed on the money for that transaction until the dispute has been resolved. That can be an annoyance, though it's only happened to me twice. Paypal's claim process is just drawn out. And if you're found at fault, they simply take the money.

Just make sure that if you sell something, you get tracking info, else you'll lose. So if you sell something on eBay and don't pay for tracking, the buyer can put a claim in through Paypal, and you will lose every time. Paypal and eBay caters to their buyers, not sellers.

Other than that, just be smart about what you do.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dgrintalis on Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:42 pm

I've used Paypal for years, too. I use it a lot to buy and sell belly dance costumes, but the fees for $500 and up items get ridiculous after a while. My Paypal account is linked to my checking account and I've never had a problem.

But, truth be told, if given the option between Paypal and a check, I always go for the check option.

dgrintalis

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Argentus on Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Well, I established a Paypal account. We'll see how it goes. Thank you for your thoughts and your experiences with this, Ken and Damien.

Argentus

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:57 pm

"...nope no problems with Paypal either..." adds Jats for further reassurance then "...other than the double eBay fees outlined above, the only problem I have ever had was when £50 appeared in it mysteriously, and I soon spent that..."

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Argentus on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:25 pm

I had sent a story to Everyday Weirdness last month. When I logged on to check on its status, I was informed that I hadn't provided EW with an e-mail address for my PayPal account. I thought PayPal worked by receiving an e-mail address from the ones who are paying, that I submit to my PayPal account, which then takes over collecting the money. I know my PayPal account number, but I have no idea about an e-mail address. Is this right? Advice is appreciated.

Argentus

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:32 pm

A sender of funds, needs only to know your email address....they then go to their account and send money to your address, which should put the money in your account. That is Paypals way of indentifying accounts.

Like if I were to want to send money to Ken....I'd send $8 to Ken @Iamabigolgoober.com and in the note I'd put "for the poor quality loving behind the bus station"

And he would then get a notice that said "You received payment from (my info) in the amount of (how much) for (shameful thing)...

if that cleared anything for you...

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:44 pm

Shiney wrote:A sender of funds, needs only to know your email address....they then go to their account and send money to your address, which should put the money in your account. That is Paypals way of indentifying accounts.

Like if I were to want to send money to Ken....I'd send $8 to Ken @Iamabigolgoober.com and in the note I'd put "for the poor quality loving behind the bus station"

And he would then get a notice that said "You received payment from (my info) in the amount of (how much) for (shameful thing)...

if that cleared anything for you...
lol

I'd also note that whatever e-mail address you use to log in to Paypal is the e-mail address you give to those wishing to send you money for shameful things.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jats on Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 pm

"...simply the email address you use to login to PayPal is what is required..." then sees others have beaten him to it with a dose of wit t'boot

Jats

Back to top Go down

Post by Argentus on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:08 pm

Thank you for helping clear that up for me!

Argentus

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks for clearing a lot of things up, Ken and Shiney. Like why you two are always late for meetings, and why Shiney never has any pizza money.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:13 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top