Any Gamers Out There?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Any Gamers Out There?

Post by amrose on Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:00 am

I've been tabletop gaming since highschool (D&D, Star Wars, WoD, and other systems) and there's hardly been a time since I haven't been a part of at least one on going game since my teens. Well, that's changed since my friends and I have gotten older, married, looking at having kids or having them already and it's been a few years since any of us have sat down and played together.

I've decided to run a World of Darkness game to get us back in the habit, but I've never run a game before, so I'm nervous. I write stories all the time, but I'm not sure how I'd handle something that interactive or how to make an enjoyable experience for players.

Are there any other paper, pencil and dice players out there among the Totemites? If so, have you ever run a game before? What did you most like/dislike about it and what could you have done better as a GM? If you're a player, what have your best experiences been? Was there anything the GM ever did with story/mechanics you completely despised?

amrose

http://www.amrose25.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Any Gamers Out There?

Post by Mercedes on Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:01 pm

You should track down Xmolder, although I don't think he's active on the forum anymore. That pretty boy can talk games.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xmolder on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:05 pm

amrose wrote:I've been tabletop gaming since highschool (D&D, Star Wars, WoD, and other systems) and there's hardly been a time since I haven't been a part of at least one on going game since my teens. Well, that's changed since my friends and I have gotten older, married, looking at having kids or having them already and it's been a few years since any of us have sat down and played together.

I've decided to run a World of Darkness game to get us back in the habit, but I've never run a game before, so I'm nervous. I write stories all the time, but I'm not sure how I'd handle something that interactive or how to make an enjoyable experience for players.

Are there any other paper, pencil and dice players out there among the Totemites? If so, have you ever run a game before? What did you most like/dislike about it and what could you have done better as a GM? If you're a player, what have your best experiences been? Was there anything the GM ever did with story/mechanics you completely despised?

Good morning (afternoon/evening, as applicable). I'm that Xmolder fellow Mercedes was talking about. I'd be happy to give you any advice I can about running games, but my experience is mostly limited to D&D 3.X. It should be easy to transfer most of the stuff to WoD, but for some people it's easier to handle orcs and kobolds than wizards and werewolves.

The absolute biggest piece of advice I can give is enjoy yourself. If you're not having fun, your players by default (regardless of how good the game itself is) won't be having fun. Expect to stumble a bit on your first game, but remember that at the end of the session, you're all there to collaborate on a story, and it's about having fun.

Speaking as a GM, I have a bad habit of building these huge story arcs that involve fairly specific situations, and they rely on characters performing acts in certain ways. Not quite railroading* them, but I just don't know what to do if they can't get past the locked gate the way they intend, so they cast Stone to Mud on the arch around it. If you let them succeed with that, great! They're innovative! On the other hand, what about that trap involving fire, acid, arrows, an alligator, a pot of honey and a hive a bees, with a collapsing Force Cage around it if they slip past? Players are crafty (and I'm sure you have your own moments where you snuck past the GM in such a fashion) and they'll try to break your game. Expect it, and be ready to counter. Learn the spells that exist in your world (I'm not terribly familiar with the WoD system, I don't know if they're specific spells or just general abilities you can use as you see fit, so make of that what you will) and be ready to use them to keep situations dangerous as necessary.

On that note: Don't try to kill your party unless you're running Tomb of Horrors. A TPK** is fun occasionally, but I'm assuming the group consists of players who really get attached to their characters. Time for a short story.

I was visiting my friends in Washington a while back when they invited me to a game that was already in progress. It had been some time since I had played, so I jumped at the opportunity. Rules were anything core, with some things from other accepted supplements, so I wrote up a sorcerer. I just can't get enough of those finger-wigglers. While I was coming up with him, I decided to work on a backstory to explain how they could have found him in the middle of a dungeon, why he's wearing the finery he is, things of that nature. A fair amount of work went into him for the time I had. So the party finds him, gets him fixed up for the inevitable fights, and we move on. We get to the next room, and there's a man sleeping on a cot. The warrior pulls his sword and starts to charge, so I jump in between and say "Wait! If you found ME here, and I'm an ally, who's to say HE isn't on our side as well?" It made sense to me.

Until the man's claymore went through my neck.

That's right. First round of the first encounter of the first game I played in God knows how long, and I was one-shot.

Don't do that to your players. Not intentionally, at least. Crits happen, but a little mercy can go a long way.

I think I actually addressed everything you asked in your original post, but it all sort of got muddled in there. I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have, and offer some advice, but maybe we should keep it to PMs? I think if I keep going on here, I'll be modded for spamming. Wink Hit me up if you need anything, and I'll do my best to get back to you ASAP.

* Railroading, for those non-gamers, is the same as the term used in writing: Forcing a plot in a specific direction, with no room for variation, similar to a railroad.
** Total Party Kill. Typically intentional, in my experience, when the players manage to break their way off a railroad and a GM gets too upset. Oh, the stories I could tell...

xmolder

Back to top Go down

Post by amrose on Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:59 pm

Thanks so much! I would like to pick your brain a little more. I'll PM soon.

amrose

http://www.amrose25.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:14 pm

Thanks, X. You never let me down. Wink

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:29 pm