John Saul

View previous topic View next topic Go down

John Saul

Post by Kenwood on Sun Aug 01, 2010 12:28 am

So we were dissed by John Saul today.

Sorry for this late response. I really donít do short fiction. And all my writing is focused on my own projects at the moment. But, thanks for asking. Itís appreciated. And thanks for hanging with me all these years.

John Saul
Kidding! Haha. I had sent him an e-mail a while back inquiring about a John Saul short story. But as expected, he doesn't do shorts. I'd never read one from him before, so I figured I would never hear back or he'd send something like this. Very cool of him to personally respond, though.

I know a lot of people in the horror community trash him, but I love this guy. Yeah, his themes are often very similar, but he does them so well. They're fun fun reads, always. Anyone else like him?

Honestly, if you don't like his supernatural tales involving a displaced family and some kids, check out Manhattan Hunt Club. It's a nice departure for him and a fantastic book.

You are invited you to descend to chilling new depths of darkness-and discover a secret, savage world that exists beneath our very feet. The promising future of New York City college student Jeff Converse has suddenly been shattered by a nightmarish turn of events. Falsely convicted of a brutal crime, Jeff sees his life vanishing before his eyes. But someone has other plans for Jeff, in a far deadlier place than any penitentiary. He finds himself beneath the teeming streets of Manhattan, in a hidden landscape of twisting tunnels and forgotten subterranean chambers. Here, an invisible population of the homeless, the desperate, and the mad has carved out its own shadow society. But they are not alone. The pitch-dark tunnels and abandoned subway stations are haunted by the unmistakable sounds of predators in search of game. Someone has made this forsaken civilization beneath the city a private killing groundÖand the hunt is on. Trapped in a treacherous underground maze, cut off at every turn by ragged gangs of sinister "gamekeepers," and stalked relentlessly by unseen hunters, Jeff faces overwhelming odds in the race to reach salvation and elude capture. With no weapon but his wits, and an unimaginable threat lurking around every dark corner, Jeff must somehow move heaven and earth to escape from a living hell.
Excellent book. So am I his only fan?

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: John Saul

Post by Mercedes on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:03 am

Have I read any Saul? I can't remember if I have.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:34 am

Meh... he sucks anyways...

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by dgrintalis on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:05 am

I read a few of his early books but I've never been a fan. I'm not sure if it was his writing or his storytelling, but his stories just didn't grab me the way I like to be captured by a story.

dgrintalis

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:47 am

He's OK at the nuts and bolts, but he was just writing the same plot over and over, so I got bored.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:51 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top