Re the link from the site to the forum.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re the link from the site to the forum.

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:39 am

Just a personal opinion, guys, don't get your knickers in a twist. When you're linked from the site to the forum you've put wonderfully spooky picture that maintains the mood of the content (tis really a great image btw) then you're redirected to the forum which looks, apart from the header, like a doctors waiting room. Clean and slightly antiseptic. Wouldn't a darker themed forum be in keeping with the atmosphere?

Back to top Go down

Re: Re the link from the site to the forum.

Post by Shiney on Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:46 am

You Bastard!!!!Always nitpicking!!
Laughing

You have a point...

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:35 pm

A darker theme would be great, but all the litte buttons and such here were created on a white background, so if you make the forum darker, everything looks stupid.

I intend to keep messing with it, but at the moment it's definitely not that important.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:52 pm

Forums are for discussion, I believe, and discussion is best held with dark text on light backgrounds!

These moody forums with black backgrounds and (God forbid) red text and the like just burn my eyes. And then my visits are often brief.

Just my thoughts...

steven pirie

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Yeah, me too.

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:22 am

steven pirie wrote:Forums are for discussion, I believe, and discussion is best held with dark text on light backgrounds!

These moody forums with black backgrounds and (God forbid) red text and the like just burn my eyes. And then my visits are often brief.

Just my thoughts...

Not just forums, but so many sites are very dark, with text that almost blends in, I wonder what these people'r thinking?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:08 pm

Pardon the long-windedness of this post, but I want to try and make sure I don't just give my opinion, but also explain it in the small hopes that it might inspire people to make changes to things already in existence, or perhaps give food for thought on future projects.

In short, I agree with Steven on the subject. That said, I'll try to explain the reasoning in-depth.

I've been designing, running, maintaining, building and breaking websites for years now, and of all the lessons I have learned, the one concerning style and design is probably the simplest but most important one. A website - or any visual medium, for that matter - is like your house.

Your bedroom. Perhaps it's dark and moody, dark paint and curtains. Dark bed-covers. A great place to engage in any number of activities where mood is essential. Or you could sleep, and darkness helps for that, too.

Your Living Room (Lounge, etc). Something a bit lighter, probably. Maybe even neutral colours. A nice big sofa, TV in the corner. Minimal clutter, lots of space.

Your bathroom. Spacious, most commonly very light colours. White tub, sink and toilet. White tiles, very clean looking, even when it's dirty.

Now, consider the goals and central reasoning for your website. (Again, this applies to many types of vistual medium)

If your site is somewhere that you doss (Hang out and be lazy) around on, have a laugh with mates and just generaly procrastinate, then that's your bedroom. Dark works, moody and just fun.

If your site is somewhere where you like to hang out and have chats, maybe read a good book or watch a good flick, then you're in the living room. Spacious, minimal clutter, light but not blinding-white.

If your site is somewhere you want to go to relax and just enjoy the odd chat and be at one with the zen, then you're talking bathroom.

So.. Consider the goals of your site. In my opinion, DT.com is the Living room. I can come here to chill and read, or have a natter, or do some work. That's what a living room is for. Clean but relaxed, spacious and as little clutter as possible. Consider the practical side before you consider the aesthetic side. Can the user sit on this site for ages and not get a headache or become frustrated with it. Will the user enjoy being here, even if he (or she) is just reading through old posts. Does my site say 'Yo bish, w'up?' or 'Evening, how are you?'

If you read this and thought; "wtf, this dude is dumb", fair enough. If you thought, "Huh, the man has a point.", fair enough. If you skipped to the end to just find out the point of the post.. You killed a box full of kittens.

- S.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Oct 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Sarnie wrote:If you read this and thought; "wtf, this dude is dumb", fair enough. If you thought, "Huh, the man has a point.", fair enough. If you skipped to the end to just find out the point of the post.. You killed a box full of kittens.

- S.
You're not a woman?

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:05 pm

Uhh... Nope. Sorry to dissapoint.

..If you ask nicely, though... Wink

- S.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:42 pm

Is it wrong to say Sarnie sounds like a girl's name? Haha.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:00 am

Naw, not at all! Is it wrong to say kenwood sounds like a stereo-manufacturer? .. Oh, wait.. Bugger. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:52 am

Hey! Who do think is financing this shindig? I'm rich!

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:52 pm

I never assumed Sarnie was a woman....I pegged it as some sort of nickname....

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top