Shock Totem Recipe Room

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Shock Totem Recipe Room

Post by Shiney on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:15 pm

We need to plan a "ST BEAST FEAST" someday....

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowflame1974 on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Another straight from the garden (please wash first)

White potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Green beans
Onions
Carrots
Garlic
Snow peas
Corn (Cob or kernel)

Spray crock pot with non stick spray

Layer vegetables in crock. Cook on HI for 2-3 hours or until potatoes are tender

(also add leftover meats such as sausage, chicken, or bacon)

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:29 pm

we need a little drooling smilie.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by EffieCollins on Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:58 pm

Shiney wrote:We need to plan a "ST BEAST FEAST" someday....

Oh yes, we definitely do. Definitely.

Good dinner tonight. Beef and tomato soup with sweet corn and potatoes. Beef chunks in natural broth, whole tomatoes, potatoes, fresh sweet corn, onions and spice to taste. Cooked in a crock pot... it's amazing.

EffieCollins

http://efcollins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:04 am

Here's a different way to do potatoes a friend made me once and hooked me on. Slice them up and fry until they're ready to flip, then add in zucchini slices that are cut just a bit thicker. Yellow squash too if you want. Stir around a couple times till done. Salt to taste. It sounds strange but is excellent. I love finding ways to use all those zucchinis everyone ends up getting rid of.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by JaymGates on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:27 am

The *only* reason I love summer: recipes like that!

Another way to use zucchini:

CHEATERS QUICHE! (Mercedes knows this one.)

8 eggs
2 cups while milk
1 cup shredded cheese
Salt and pepper

Mix all of those together, and then add anything you want! A favorite is zucchini with rosemary, sage, thyme and oregano. Cheese: mozzarella and asiago.

JaymGates

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:34 am

And a crust? For sure, otherwise it's an omlet. LOL Yum! I love quiche. Thanks Jay. Think I'll try this one tomorrow.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by EffieCollins on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:39 am

You know, that reminds me of something Dad used to make for me, Kerr. My Dad was no great cook or anything, but there were a few dishes of his that I LOVED him to cook for me while he was alive. And sadly, I can never make them taste like his did. One such dish was:

Slice potatoes, onions and green peppers up and fry until nearly cooked. Add cubes of ham and fry until everything is nice and done (potatoes browned, ham cooked through etc.) Turn the heat down a bit lower. Whisk together eggs and milk, with a little salt and pepper, like for scrambled eggs. Pour over fried potato mixed stuff, cover and cook on medium-low heat, turning occasionally, until the eggs are done.

This. Stuff. Fucking. Rocks. Best breakfast I've ever had. I have no idea where he got the idea from, but I love it. Man... now I want some too.

EffieCollins

Back to top Go down

Post by JaymGates on Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:31 am

I suppose I should add cooking directions, eh? Pour ingredients into a crust, bake at 350 until firm.

JaymGates

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:44 am

Ef...my dad made a similar thing, it's a diner staple in my hometown area just called "Hash"....it can contain any meat as long as the potatoes, pepers, onions and eggs are there.

I've made it with sausage...leftover thanksgiving turkey....beef...

And i usually add a couple of bloots of Hot Sauce.

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:25 pm

We do that same thing here too with the potatoes and eggs. I like to toss in a little fresh garlic also as the potatoes fry. And I like it with bacon. We have a kind of Jack Sprat thing going on here, LOL. First I try to fatten him up, then I try to quit thinking about eating and he just starves while he waits for me to get back at it again. I really hate men who can live on potato chips, Ding Dongs and cookies by the box load--and still lose weight! But at least he's game for anything I make up. Oh, and I don't scramble the eggs Effie, I just drop them in, add a bit of water and put on a lid.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by davisac1 on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:06 pm

But where is the cheesecake?? I was promised cheesecake!

davisac1

http://amandacdavis.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JaymGates on Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:39 pm

Kerr and Effie, my family has a similar dish. It seems to be one of those natural recipes! And so, so good for using up leftover veggies.

I absolutely SCORED at the farmer's market today: homegrown garlic and onions. I'm apparently more Italian than vampire!

I caramelized them in goats-milk butter, threw in some sliced patty-pan squash, a few sprigs of homegrown rosemary, and threw it over fettucini alfredo, topped the whole thing with chopped heirloom tomatoes. I could ALMOST love summer for this one reason.

Wait. ~thinks about being outside for 3 hours this morning~ I take that back. I hate summer.

JaymGates

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:00 pm

That sounds great, Jay. Exactly the kind of thing I've been craving for. What are patty-pan squash? It sounds like a little fresh spinach would do nice too tossed in, and some grated parm when you serve. OTOH, I'll play around until I lose the taste I liked and have to go back to where it was wonderful.

Here's one I tossed together like that once that turned out to be a favorite you guys might enjoy also.
~~

Turkey Chile (LOL)

3 one lb tubes ground turkey. (cut the metal off and pop them in the mic for a minute or two to partially thaw, then brown them and leave the juice.)

3 cubes beef bouillon (1 for each tube of turkey.)

1 lg clove (at least) fresh garlic minced and browned with the turkey.

3 cans stewed tomatoes (1 for each lb turkey, also.)

1 can corn

2 cans beans (I use kidney beans light and dark to vary the color, but any kind works.)

1 med. onion chopped

1 large green pepper chopped

Simmer long enough that the flavors blend, like regular chile.

Top with your favorite salsa and eat with tortillas warned on the burners.

!!! Oops! I forgot Cumin, to taste, at least a good sized TBS.
Same with Chile powder

Last edited by Kerr on Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by EffieCollins on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:18 pm

davisac1 wrote:But where is the cheesecake?? I was promised cheesecake!

Hey... I thought I sent you that recipe too? I'm so sorry... I sent out quite a few PM-s with the cheesecake recipe in it. I didn't mean to forget you. Here's my "recipe".

Lemon Cheesecake with Vanilla Cream Topping

You need:

2 graham cracker crusts

Filling:

2 - 8oz. packages of cream cheese (set out a while before at room temperature until the cheese has softened)
1 - tub o' whipped topping (the short ones... can never remember what the actual size is)
2 - teaspoons lemon juice (fresh is best, but Real Lemon works too... and if you wanna jazz it up, try it with lime juice. Makes a good variation.)
1 - drop/splash vanilla
1/2 - cup of sugar (approx)
a small splash of milk (only if thick)

With a mixer, cream together cream cheese and sugar until well blended. Add vanilla and lemon juice, mix well. Blend in half the whipped topping until mixture is light and fluffy. Add three tablespoons of sour cream from the vanilla topping ingredients list and mix well. If too thick, add a splash of milk to desired consistency (should be thick, but not too thick. Think of the consistency of sour cream, but lighter). Set aside for five minutes then spread evenly into crusts.

Vanilla Cream Topping: (Optional but oh so good)

1/4 to 1/2 - cup of sugar to taste
1 - 1lb. tub of sour cream
a splash of vanilla (liberal or sparing to taste)

Combine half the tub of sour cream and sugar to taste, blending well until sugar fully dissolves. Add vanilla to taste. This topping will be a bit thinner than the filling. You can leave it this way and make less, using it like a drizzle. I cover the entirety of both pies (the topping firms nicely but is never quite solid), but tweak to suit your preferences. That's what I love about cooking. These cheesecakes also do well topped with cherries as well as the vanilla topping. And of course, you still have half a tub of whipped cream left over too. Refrigerate at least three hours, but overnight sets up best. Cornstarch can be used sparingly to thicken the filling or topping if it turns out a bit thin (It only happened once to me because I was a little liberal with the milk). Make sure it dissolves completely and the mixture doesn't become grainy.

Yes, I copies and pasted from the PM-s I sent out. I love this cheesecake recipe. No bake, and it tastes farking fabulous. You guys lemme know if it turns out all right for ya. I think TT said his turned out fine, but everyone is different.

EffieCollins

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:31 pm

It turned out great for me. I may have done it differently, but nothing was runny at all. You could have sliced it up and eaten it 15 minutes after I made it.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosencrantz on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:17 pm

I don't suppose anyone here is a fan of peach pies or potentially-deadly chocolate truffle cheesecake?

Rosencrantz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:24 pm

Peach pies! *swoon*

Gotta good recipe?

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EffieCollins on Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Rosencrantz wrote:I don't suppose anyone here is a fan of peach pies or potentially-deadly chocolate truffle cheesecake?

I'm allergic to peaches, but I sooo want the potentially deadly choc. truffle cheesecake. I love chocolate cheesecake.

EffieCollins

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosencrantz on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Well, I think it's good. ^^; My measurements may be a little off, though. I tend to eye things more than measure.

Peach Pie

For crust:

2 1/2 c. flour

1 c. cold butter

4 - 8 tbsp. cold water

some sugar, if you prefer sweet crust

Pour flour and desired sugar into large bowl, then cut in the butter. You may have to mix by hand so that it becomes crumbly. Add water by the tablespoon full and knead lightly until the mixture is doughy.

Roll the dough into two separate balls, put them on a plate, dust with flour, and stick into the freezer.

Ignore the dough balls for at least half an hour.

While waiting, preheat the oven to 425 F and begin making the filling.

For Filling:

Desired amount of fresh peaches, skinned and sliced.(I usually end up with 32 - 40 oz when everything is mixed up.)

1/4 c. baking tapioca (or less, depending on how thick you want the filling, this is the amount that I tend to use for a thicker pie. I've heard that cornstarch also works well, I'm just a fan of the texture of tapioca.)

lemon juice

water

1/4 c. brown or white sugar

cinnamon to preference

Mix sliced peaches, lemon juice, water, sugar, cinnamon, and tapioca in large bowl. Add only enough water and juice so that everything is covered. Set aside.

Grease a 9 in. pie pan. Ignore this for a few minutes.

On a fairly large area, lay down some wax paper and spread a layer of flour over it. Remove the dough balls from the freezer and place one on the paper. Dust a rolling pin with flour and roll out the dough ball until it is roughly 1/8 in. thick and the size of a fairly large dinner plate. Dust the top of the crust with flour and fold in half, then fold in half again. This is odd, but it's a very efficient way of moving the crust into the pan without tearing (assuming the rest of the world is as lacking in coordination as I am). Align the center of the folded dough with the middle of the greased pie pan and unfold. Press the dough into the pan and cut around the edges, leaving a little room to seal the top and bottom crust together later.

Pour the peach filling into the crust, smooth it down a little with a spoon.

Repeat the rolling process with the second ball of dough for the top crust. Cut desired shapes into the top crust--they don't have to be designs, but cut at least a slit for proper venting. Use water or residual juice from the peaches to seal the top and bottom crust. You may use your thumb and index finger to crimp the crusts together.

In a small bowl, mix one egg white and a tablespoon of sugar. Brush this on top of the crust, avoiding the edges for now.

Place foil carefully over the edges of the pie pan to prevent over-browning or burning.

Bake pie at 425 for 40-50 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is at a slow bubble (if you can see the filling).

10 minutes or so before removing the pie from the oven take the foil off from around the edges of the pie and brush some of the egg white mixture onto them.

Let cool and then serve by itself or with vanilla ice-cream.

Rosencrantz

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosencrantz on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:05 pm

Chocolate truffle cheesecake

1 1/2 c. chocolate crumbs (I suggest the mass murder of chocolate teddy grahams )

2 tbsp sugar

1/4 c. butter softened

Filling

1/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips

1/4 c. heavy whipping cream

1/4 c. sour cream

3 packages (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened

1 c. sugar

1/3 c. baking cocoa

3 eggs

1 tbsp. vanilla extract

topping

1 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

1/4 c. heavy whipping cream

1 tbsp vanilla extract

In small bowl, combine chocolate crumbs, butter, and sugar. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9 in. springform pan. (you can use more crumbs and push it up the sides of the pan as well, if you really like crust.) Bake crust for 10 minutes at 325.

In larger bowl, mix cream cheese, sour cream, sugar, baking cocoa, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on high until smooth and creamy. Add eggs, beat until thoroughly mixed.

In a small sauce pan heat semisweet chocolate chips and heavy cream on medium, stirring until smooth. Add this to the cream cheese mixture, beat lightly until just blended. Pour over crust.

Bake for 45 - 50 minutes

Once you remove the cheesecake from the oven, make the topping. Heat chocolate chips, vanilla, and heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until melted and smooth, stirring frequently. I tend to heat the chocolate chips first, then slowly add the heavy cream while whisking it.

Pour over cheesecake.

Refrigerate overnight.

When I made this for my Irish lady, I put halved strawberries on top while the chocolate was still warm. I heard it was very good.

Rosencrantz

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:07 pm

Thanks, Rosencrantz!

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowflame1974 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:16 pm

Mmmmm sounds great!

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosencrantz on Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:38 pm

^^; You're welcome. Thank you. Enjoy!

Rosencrantz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro on Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:09 am

This was my YUMMY dinner.

1 Med Onion, chopped
3 tbl margarine
1/2 lb ground beef
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
6 cups coarsely shredded cabbage
1 10 1/2 oz can condensed tomato soup

Saute onion in butter, add meat, salt and pepper. Heat thoroughly, do not brown. Spread 3 cups of cabbage in a 2 qt baking dish. Cover with meat mixture. Top with remaining cabbage. Pour soup over top. Bake at 350* for 1 hour (covered for 40 minutes, uncovered for last 10-20 minutes).

Kuro

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:52 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top