City of Ember

View previous topic View next topic Go down

City of Ember

Post by Kenwood on Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:41 pm

I know this isn't a horror movie, but I saw it, so I'll discuss it.

A few years back I joined the Science Fiction Book Club. While picking those six or seven introductory books, I came across one called the City of Ember. The description sounded great. I missed the part that said it was a children's book, though. Haha. The post-apocalyptic story "revolves around the underground city of Ember, the one known surviving settlement and "the only light in the dark world" that's slowly dying as supplies run low and the electrical system starts to fail. The main characters are Lina Mayfleet and Doon Harrow, two 12-year-olds who watch as the light of Ember flickers and race to discover a way out."

Despite the book being written for a young audience, I thought it was fantastic. The sequel, The People of Sparks, was also good, though not as good. The prequel, The Prophet of Yonwood, was rather pointless as only the last chapter really tied it to Ember and Sparks. There's now a third and final book in the series, The Diamond of Darkhold, which I haven't read yet. But despite the pointless prequel, I'm still a fan, so I was sort of looking forward to the movie version of Ember. The trailers looked good.

First off, the movie looked amazing. Unfortunately, the movie itself was just decent. I guess if you were a kid it might be a great movie, but not for me. It's been a good while since I first read the book, so I'm not sure what sort of things the writers embellished, but I think the movie stayed fairly true to the book. There were a few things that I don't remember being in the book, especially...

Spoiler:
the giant mole.

But maybe I'm wrong.

Solid acting by all, great design and feel, but too little suspense and meat. The movie was just okay. I give it a C. I hope they make the sequel, but I'm not sure that'll happen. We saw it Friday night and the theater had about 20 people in it. Of course, we saw it in a rather ghetto fabulous area, so it probably didn't appeal to the locals much.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Re: City of Ember

Post by Mercedes on Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:33 pm

I just saw this last night, and I haven't read the book, yet. I'd like to, though, since the whole "society has massively changed and people are learning to cope" thing appeals to me. Btw, your spoiler above made me laugh riotously until I saw the movie and it suddenly...made sense. Otherwise
Spoiler:
I just thought that you were discussing a severe case of melanoma.

The characters were intriguing. And it was nice to know that the future is going to be full of emo boys in Fame! shirts. It took a little too long to get to where it was going, but it kicked me toward the series.

That said, the show that really floats my boat this week is Film Crew's "The Giant of Marathon". I'll be repeating, "Screw you, horse, I have thumbs!" for weeks.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:51 pm

Definitely read the book, Mercedes. Like I said, it's a kids book for sure, but it's really good. It sort of brings you back that time when everything was an adventure as a kid, you know.

The movie just failed to capture the right spirit of the book and made it a bit too goofy and childlike.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sat Mar 14, 2009 7:17 pm

My kids watched the movie. I started out with it, but quickly started surfing the web. Just didn't hold my interest.

My daughter is currently reading the book. If I didn't have such an insanely huge "to be read" pile myself, I might pick it up myself.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:29 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top