Youth literacy programs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Youth literacy programs

Post by Tall Tyrion on Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:30 pm

We need more of them....
Our song is the
slaming screan down sneeking out late tapping on ur window when were on
the phone and u talk really solw cuz it's late and ur mama dnt

^^ an actual Facebook post by a 16 year old girl I know.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Re: Youth literacy programs

Post by EffieCollins on Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:49 pm

I'm sorry, but that's sad. My ten year old doesn't even spell that bad. But... he has a genius IQ too...

My other two kids are smart as hell, though, and at 9 & 8, neither of them would dare to spell like that. They all know better.

Texting is killing our society.

EffieCollins

http://efcollins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:38 pm

More than sad, it's humiliating to the whole country. And forgive me but I want to do a little ranting here. My granddaughter is three-and-a-half and just can't suck up every single thing around her fast enough. She's wanted to go to school since she was two, so I bought one of those rolling book bags for a gift filled with books. But, the fact is, she can't. Her single mom makes too much money and the only children getting into early-learning programs are those of non-working parents on welfare. There are no other programs at the schools anymore, at least around this neck of the woods. WTF?

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:18 am

I'll be willing to bet your granddaughter will be just fine, Kerr, program or no. The desire to learn will always overcome a paucity of teaching....

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowflame1974 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Yea, but how many kid have a desire to learn? The kids now have a "I deserve" attitude. They deserve because they are here, not because they have earned it. Kids think they need cell phones, brand new cars when they turn 16, and all the newest gadgets.

My oldest has fought with ADD since very small. Now that he is a teen, he is now reaching the maturity to handle it. After fighting with him for 10 years on spelling (literally fighting with him as nothing we did ever worked) he is getting it. He is reading, he wants to spell words right, he is taking pride in his work. It is a relief that he isn't going to struggle as hard.

And as to gadgets, I try to keep my own limited. The kids know that when I say no I mean it.

Literacy programs in the schools have been cut. Programs from the libraries have been slashed because donations are down. If we want the kids to know that correct spelling and grammar is correct, then we as writers need to make the effort to help our schools and libraries.

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:53 pm

Very true, SF, and it's not just kids. I know plenty of people my age and older who have that same sort of entitlement mentality. It's a part of what has lead to the collapse of our economy. Too many people had to have all the latest and greatest toys and they had to have them NOW, so they ran up consumer debt until they were buried by it and then walked away.

Those who do have a measure of patience are still better off then their "gimme" contemporaries, but we are all suffering from the effects of having a greedy population.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:21 pm

Well, I don't happen to believe it's a child's fault for being lazy. It's instinct to want to exercise muscles, that includes the brain. It's why all creatures learn in the most of what they need for survival in the early stage. To my mind, though, the whole family system changed in this country with Woman's Lib, to the point it's reached now. It's doubtful we'll ever go back, families so spread out and everyone either working and not there to parent properly, or on benefits and teaching their children that. But as for a child enjoying learning, that's simple enough. Someone needs to make it fun. So this kid was one of the lucky one's. She had a mom who waited a loooong time, and a grandma, too. We are all sharing the adventure together.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowflame1974 on Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:39 pm

Good Kerr. glad you are all enjoying her. Smile

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:04 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down