Help a brother out...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help a brother out...

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sat May 22, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm in need of a new desktop, but I need to go cheap, cheap, cheap. I've been looking at some Lenovo systems for around $300, but I can't find any reviews or other information about them, other that Wikipedia, which I don't trust.

Any experience with these machines, or any other advice you can give me?

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Re: Help a brother out...

Post by Kmzone on Sat May 22, 2010 1:37 pm

Sorry TT, No expeirence with laptops, but have you tried Overstock.com? My husband said the IT guys at his work bought a couple laptops for around the same amount you're looking at now....

Kmzone

http://randomthoughtsofawriterygirl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by fleamailman on Sun May 23, 2010 8:44 am

"...OK, those Lenovo laptops are great, they were originally IBM's baby, their "think pads" series, and are the best laptops going in my view..." mentioned the goblin adding "...however, if you are going to buy a new computer with windows 7 on it, you are simply wasting you money here, in that you will have to pay for the windows license, the officeworks license and yearly protection, the price of those together means that you should be looking at installing linux for various reason now, not least of which is its free price, anonymity, ease and cleaness...", in fact, the goblin would walk TT through the steps or answer question is interested now, adding "...if you google my username, you'll soon see why I am a goblin then, a computer repairman I was then..."

fleamailman

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro on Sun May 23, 2010 12:24 pm

I use a thinkpad. Well, actually I've used two. First on I bought from my school new. It was great, and I dearly loved it. Then it got stolen. I bought my current as a refurbished. It's not holding up as well at all and I'm thinking about replacing it, even though I've only had it since the fall of '08.

Kuro

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun May 23, 2010 1:20 pm

Not a laptop, a desktop. I'm currently stuck on my wife's laptop, but my large hands cannot adapt to a tiny keyboard...

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Sun May 23, 2010 1:50 pm

I use a Fujitsu Siemens desktop that I've found very reliable over the last three or four years, but whether they're cost effective in your bit of the world I wouldn't know.

steven pirie

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Post by fleamailman on Sun May 23, 2010 2:07 pm

"...the price of any second hand keyboard is about ten dollars here, add a mouse, and you have something on par with a desktop..." ventured the goblin, adding "...whereas if you buy a desktop you will have to buy the screen too...", so the real question was usage, where "secondhand" means that, unless one knows about computer bits, one risks buying something that has been tampered with since the parts are interchangeable, whereas a new desktop at that price is possible, and yet any screen would just double that price, concluding "...a large second hand laptop with an external keyboard and mouse would be a cheap tamper proof alternative here, are there any second hard computer shops in your area then..."

fleamailman

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Sun May 23, 2010 2:10 pm

Nothing on ebay?

steven pirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Kmzone on Sun May 23, 2010 4:31 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:Not a laptop, a desktop. I'm currently stuck on my wife's laptop, but my large hands cannot adapt to a tiny keyboard...

Oops! Sorry TT! Misread while drinking *makes note to not answer posts when drunk*

Not sure if OverStock has Desktops... but I'm sure it's worth a try.

I guess I can not help you out brother! Sorry Very Happy

Kmzone

http://randomthoughtsofawriterygirl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Sun May 23, 2010 4:40 pm

Can't you just buy a full sized USB keyboard and plug it in to the laptop?

In fact, you can usually get a full 'docking' station for a laptop and put a decent monitor on it too...

steven pirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun May 23, 2010 9:36 pm

Actually, I detest laptop in all forms... something about them I don't trust. I still get a little riled up when I think of MS changing over from DOS to this stupid Windows OS. I miss my Windows 3.11...

Anyways, thanks for the advice, but I just got off the phone with my wife and we're just buying something at Wal Mart. Lame, but easy.

Now I just need to build me a little gaming computer to play all of my old games on. I miss DOOM2 and Noctropolis.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:25 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top