Bizarro

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bizarro

Post by steven pirie on Sat May 22, 2010 5:37 am

Reading Paula's Cactus Father in 'Works in Progress' made me think about Bizarro fiction.

What is it? I've tended to stay away from writing it as the stuff I've read always seemed to be full of odd tangents, that threw me off unexpectedly in other directions, and that were never really explained. I often felt there was no beginning, middle and end, and so no point to the story (or no story!).

Does the team think it's possible to write bizarro fiction whilst still sticking to a conventional writing paradigm? Is the whole point of Bizarro that it's pretty much stream of consciousness stuff?

steven pirie

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Bizarro

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sat May 22, 2010 12:48 pm

Paging Shiney!

I think you can do Bizzaro without straying from conventional story structure. Dali and Ernst et al painted using very conventional techniques, they just put weird imagery into their works. It's much the same with fiction, IMO. A conventional story structure with surreal imagery inserted into it.

In fact, you could make a case for all dark fiction being bizzaro to some extent. Once the vampire or zombie appears, you know you're not dealing with a strict reality.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum