Re: First band gig scheduled

Post by Tall Tyrion on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:43 pm

But where is he located, mon capitan? Smile

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:51 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:But where is he located, mon capitan? Smile
Arizona, last I knew. He got out of the Air Force at some point after Korea, but still works at one of the Air Force bases out there. He's not one to use the computer much so I talk with him very infrequently. I imagine someday that'll end, too.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:55 pm

Arizona is a big state, though. It's more likely that he's closer to me than Scott. Most of the AZ population is in Tucson and Phoenix.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:33 pm

Or he's closer to me. And I might start a band just so I can ask this guy to be my drummer. That way TT CAN NEVER HAVE HIM!!!

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:52 am

Drummer thief!

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:53 am

We have another gig scheduled for the 24th... No lead singer, so I'm it for the whole set.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowflame1974 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:20 am

You will do awesomely!

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kmzone on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:50 am

Good Luck TT! We have faith in you! (You can sing right? Razz)

Kmzone

http://randomthoughtsofawriterygirl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:33 am

They keep telling me I can. If we can get another drummer to fill in on a couple of songs, that would be nice. Some of them I cannot sing and drum at the same time.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by LeeThompson on Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Can you keep a simple drum pattern going and sing? You can do it, man! Practice like crazy! Like Hinny said, We have faith in you! 

LeeThompson

http://leethompsonfiction.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Yeah, if it's just 4/4 with some simple fills I can manage it. There are some songs that I've simplified in order to sing them, but we have some that would be impossible for me to do. We had another drummer show up briefly, so I'll e-mail him some tracks to work on.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Paula Ray on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:44 pm

It's so hard to sing and play drums beyond the simple patterns. I can't do it. The drumming has to be a natural thing...where you don't think about it. It requires a ton of practice to get to that point. Good luck. I agree though...getting someone else to play drums on the faster songs is probably best, plus the audience enjoys seeing the singer up front and not just behind drums the whole gig. I always like hearing different band members sing, too and I'm impressed when the drummer can sing and play, but it's a hard sell for ONE vocalist to hold my attention for a several hour gig. Variety, variety, variety...is hard to beat. So I feel your pain at having to be the lead singer the whole gig, not by choice. That would drive me nuts too.

Paula Ray

http://musicalpencil.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:01 pm

Awesome, TT! You'll rock it, no matter what you do.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:07 am

Paula Ray wrote:The drumming has to be a natural thing...where you don't think about it. It requires a ton of practice to get to that point.

You nailed it. The songs we've been doing for awhile I can sing with no problem, but the newer stuff is tough. Regardless, both the drumming and the singing suffer when I'm doing both. I just can't give it my all on either one.

plus the audience enjoys seeing the singer up front and not just behind drums the whole gig.

Again, bingo... I'm not a great singer, but I do have a lot of energy, so getting out front would help a bunch. One of the doods that hangs out regularly for our practices was saying yesterday that one of the new songs that we just wrote is "the best one ever". It's really not, but he thinks so because our singer was drumming it and I was able to just concentrate on the vocals.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Paula Ray on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Good luck with your gig, Nick. I'm sure you'll do a fantastic job. It's great that you are landing gigs.

I haven't gigged in months...staying at home taking care of my dad these days...lately writing is my creative outlet, since I can do it from my home. Practicing alone when you don't have a gig on the calendar lends itself to procrastination and dust on the instrument.

True story...in reference to things becoming natural and tons of practice. I had a college professor who insisted I didn't know a song or scale well unless I could do math while playing from memory. He'd let me start the song then uncover a paper with ten addition or subtraction math problems displayed...I'm talking something like 254 + 132....not really hard, but it requires a bit of calculation. At the end of the scale or song I had to be able to correctly answer three equations instantly in order to get a decent grade that week and if I answered all ten...I was considered--concert ready. Usually, the concert arrived and I was never deemed concert ready, but had to perform anyway. I hate math! If he had asked me to read a poem then summarize the poem at the end of the song...I could have probably done it...but MATH?! WTF...I stink at that even when I have a calculator in my hand.

I wish there was a shortcut to practice, but I've never found one...repitition seems to be the key.

Paula Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:35 am

What do you play, Paula?

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Paula Ray on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:39 pm

I majored on clarinet...started on piano...now I gig mostly on sax, but I taught band for eight years and play all the instruments I had to teach to a high school level, but not professionally. I love jazz band and had to teach myself to play drumset so I could show my students how to do it. I'm mostly a woodwind person, though. Years ago I was sure I was going to be a pro songwriter and went to Nashville TN...got an overdose of twang and came home...went back to teaching music in the schools. I still write songs...I just don't pitch them...they collect dust in a big trunk I keep locked like they are ghosts going to escape or something.

Paula Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Argentus on Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:22 pm

Paula Ray wrote:I had a college professor who insisted I didn't know a song or scale well unless I could do math while playing from memory.

I don't know how true this is, but I have read that the section of the brain that calculates mathematics also has something to do with how music is perceived and expressed. If this is an actuality then perhaps the professor was going for maximum stimulation of that part of the brain so your musical expression would be at its best.

Of course, I am no expert in this field. This is just something I have read about. If you ever run across this professor again maybe you can ask.

Argentus

Back to top Go down

Post by Paula Ray on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:08 pm

Interesting theory, Argentus. I'm going to go all geeky right now...but this stuff fascinates me. Actually....(sitting up straight in chair)....music stimulates the brain stem that connects both sides of the brain and engages both the left and right side simultaneously. The act of playing an instrument, especially, has been recorded as one of the few things, possibly only thing, that does this. In fact, they have done studies (don't you love that phrase....they...who are they? have done studies) and found that after two hours of concentrated musical practice on an instrument, the mind is quicker to grasp and retain both mathematical and verbal concepts as well as perform at the optimum level for testing these subjects. It's like practicing an instrument, which is a physical movement, makes learning easier somehow. They have also done studies and found that Mozart's music stimulates the brain more than some other composer's works and, for some reason, it does ready the mind for math. Many teachers play Mozart's music on a CD before they begin their math lessons, but nothing engages and warms both sides of the brain up quite like practicing an instrument, which is much more hands on than singing.

The ability to keep the body doing something while mentally focused on something else IS a sign of having a song memorized fully. I can't tell you how many of my students, and even myself, have been performing....blanked out...stage fright or whatever and watched our hands keep playing as if we were having an out of body experience. It's like the body has its own memory cells.

Also, those memory cells form stronger bonds during sleep. That is why one practice session...you have it down pat...the next day...not so much. If you practice thirty minutes each day for four days...you will come closer to retaining what you did than if you practice one day for two hours. Technically, you've spent the same amount of time on the piece, but there is something that happens in the brain during sleep that causes our muscles to remember what they did that day and repeated practice over several days really does the trick. You seldom retain things you crash study for, especially anything physical like basketball skills or dance steps.

Doing math is an isolated type of focus. Reading ignites the imagination and can easily trigger more areas of the brain to be engaged. My professor was right to speficially choose math as a way of testing my memory of a song, but unfortunately, my math skills were not as strong as most people's and since I hate math--I psyched myself out about it.

Now, I look like the biggest music teacher geek on the planet, but what can I say...it interests me. Also, all of these other studies leads me to something else...because music can stimulate the brain stem...many have found progress in Autism through music therapy. I've seen one on one music lessons, where the child played the piano for instance, reach kids people never thought would connect to the world around them. I also worked with a whole class, individually, at one school and we did see improvement in other areas of the student's schoolwork after the music therapy began.

I believe music is a conduit for many brain processes and can be a healer and is often overlooked as a tool like that. Doctors are more likely to reach for the latest drug and treat things chemically rather than analyze how music can be an aid in some physical and mental illnesses.

I'm going to stop talking about this....I've probably bored you to tears and come across like I'm writing a thesis, because this post is getting so long.

Paula Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:27 pm

Cool... many years ago, I played sax, but it wasn't until I got older that I tried my hand at drumming.

Paula Ray wrote:I still write songs...I just don't pitch them...they collect dust in a big trunk I keep locked like they are ghosts going to escape or something.

I know people who do their own home recordings and put out albums. Maybe it's something to think about. Wink

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Paula Ray on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:10 pm

Cool that you played sax as well. We have some music things in common.

I have been thinking about that home recording stuff a lot lately. The prices have been dropping on digital recording equipment and I have my eye on a system. My husband said if I help him clean out the garage and have a big yardsale...he'd build me a little mini studio out there with heating and air...he's a heating and air guy and his business is starting to take off. I think I'll take him up on the offer and maybe play with recording during my summer break. I'm kind of excited and about the idea.

Do you have any recorded songs I can listen to?

Paula Ray

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:58 pm

Paula Ray wrote:Do you have any recorded songs I can listen to?

Not really... I have a big backlog of recordings over the past year or so, but most of those are out of date now. The latest ones have massive clipping, although they are good enough to listen to to practice learning the lyrics. I hope to make a live recording of the show this weekend, so depending on how those turn out I might post something.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kmzone on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:47 pm

Good Luck on Saturday TT!

Kmzone

http://randomthoughtsofawriterygirl.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by EffieCollins on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:55 pm

(is secretly glad she isn't the only one who played a sax [but she was never any good at it])

Good luck on Sat. Rock it out and bring us something to listen to. I want to hear too.

EffieCollins

http://efcollins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:46 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top