Healthy stuff

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Healthy stuff

Post by Mercedes on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:40 pm

I work out like a demon (because I like kicking and punching things) but I eat like a demon, too. Love the sweets. We're making over our kitchen and nixing most of the treaty treats. Anybody here eat healthfully? Any suggestions?

And no, loves, the Coke Zero isn't going anywhere. I'm still going to be me. Smile

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Healthy stuff

Post by Kenwood on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:46 pm

Not me. And it's catching up to me. I've put on 30lbs in the past year or two. I don't really eat bad, I just eat like one giant meal a day, which is bad. I don't do fast food or sweets or chips or anything like that, but I'm addicted to Pepsi. I can't stand diet soda, either.

I'm actually in the process of "dieting" (i.e. cutting back on soda) and trying to hit the gym more. I've lost 12lbs so far this year. I guess that's good. I wanted to get back into boxing, but the doctor says at my age it's not a good idea, especially since I haven't done it in so long. I find that absolutely absurd! Haha. I'm frickin' 34! I'm gonna drop dead from a heart attack now? Jeez.

So anyway, I know nothing of eating healthy, sadly. I did buy Nutrition for Dummies, though. Haha.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:49 pm

I used to weigh around 200+...a few years ago...and I drank tons of Pepsi....I decided to switch to Diet...which after a few weeks, you get used to the taste and now I can no longer drink regular.

I weigh around 180lbs...I cut out junk and snacks I can go down to like 175....but never go mroe than 185....

Im not in bad shape by any means...I have a bit of a paunchy stomach..the rest of me is grade A beef!!!!

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:00 pm

the rest of me is grade A beef!!!!

You sound like your putting yourself up on the auction block, babe. I'd be a-bidding.

Ken, when you switch to Diet, you'll be surprised at how much you'll lose. But 12 pounds since January is pretty fantastic! A girl would kill for that.

I'm mostly going to spread my meals throughout the day, I think. And knock out some of the candy. Seems that there's always a candy holiday right around the corner! And I love me some Cadbury creme eggs.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:02 pm

I used to be in shape... *sigh*

I need to hit the gym again. I got out of the habit while I was working on a building side project, and now I'm in horrible shape.

But actually, losing weight is not hard to do, it just requires discipline. Just eat healthy, eat less and exercise and it will happen. I once got really go serious about it and dropped down to a lean 180... pretty buff was I. Then I fasted for a week and got down to 170... that was too thin.

Really anywhere around the 200 range would be fine for me, but I'm above that now.

Best thing you can do is eliminate the sweets, and NO soda. I don't care how healthy they say it is... it's really not. It sucks calcium out of you.

Just eat sensibly... lots of fruits and vegetables (raw is best) and a good amount of lean protein. Chicken breasts on the grill is about the most perfect food. Limit the bread and pasta, and drink a whole lot of water. That's all you really need.

I do OK on the eating part, my weakness is alcohol, and it shows...

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:05 pm

Just eat sensibly... lots of fruits and vegetables (raw is best) and a good amount of lean protein. Chicken breasts on the grill is about the most perfect food. Limit the bread and pasta, and drink a whole lot of water. That's all you really need.

This, without soda, would make me want to put a fork in my eye. Seriously, I'd kill myself.

The kidlets already exercise, which is great. I'm really proud of that. But I need to be a good example when it comes to eating, too. Dagnabbit.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:07 pm

I'm back on the Pepsi wagon, though. I'd been drinking Propel water, which isn't all that great but better to ween myself off of Pepsi with, but I wanted to buy a 12-pack this weekend. A 12-pack was $3.99. A 24-pack was $3.49! WTF?

So you know what I bought. Haha. But once it's done, I'm back to the Propel and regular water. I really need to learn to eat healthy, though. Because my idea of eating healthy is to eat a giant steak without sides. Haha.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:09 pm

You know what isn't bad? Chrystal Light. Only I get the cheap generic knock-off. It's two bucks for a 6 tubs, and each tub makes a pitcher of the stuff. When I keep it in the fridge, I drink half of the soda, no joke.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:12 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:I used to be in shape... *sigh*

I need to hit the gym again. I got out of the habit while I was working on a building side project, and now I'm in horrible shape.

But actually, losing weight is not hard to do, it just requires discipline. Just eat healthy, eat less and exercise and it will happen. I once got really go serious about it and dropped down to a lean 180... pretty buff was I. Then I fasted for a week and got down to 170... that was too thin.

Really anywhere around the 200 range would be fine for me, but I'm above that now.

Best thing you can do is eliminate the sweets, and NO soda. I don't care how healthy they say it is... it's really not. It sucks calcium out of you.

I do OK on the eating part, my weakness is alcohol, and it shows...
I've struggled since 2001. I weighed 205lbs, and I was ripped. In great shape. I wasn't a meathead, my metabolism just rocked. I hit the gym like three times a week, did largely cardio with boxing and whatnot. Then this happened:

I could barely move for six months. I couldn't even lay down for three. I gained over 60lbs during that time, and ever since then I've had a hard time with things. It's like my metabolism died that day. Sucks. But I definitely don't exercise like I used to, so that's a huge part of it. But I have some issues from that accident, with my wrist and back, and I've yet to try to overcome them. =(

I need to, though. I'm putting pounds on fast again. Not cool.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:15 pm

Stop boxing with cars, Ken. They always win.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:23 pm

Kenwood wrote:I'm back on the Pepsi wagon, though. I'd been drinking Propel water, which isn't all that great but better to ween myself off of Pepsi with, but I wanted to buy a 12-pack this weekend. A 12-pack was $3.99. A 24-pack was $3.49! WTF?

So you know what I bought. Haha. But once it's done, I'm back to the Propel and regular water. I really need to learn to eat healthy, though. Because my idea of eating healthy is to eat a giant steak without sides. Haha.

Meh... Don't buy anything flavored is my advise. Just plain water is the the best and if that seems impossible, make sun tea, but drink it with no sugar (lemon is OK).

And a giant (lean) steak with no sides is not bad... not as good as chicken breast or fish, but it's not bad. If you're exercising, that beef will do you good.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:24 pm

Mercedes wrote:You know what isn't bad? Chrystal Light. Only I get the cheap generic knock-off. It's two bucks for a 6 tubs, and each tub makes a pitcher of the stuff. When I keep it in the fridge, I drink half of the soda, no joke.

It's probably better, but look at the sugar and sodium content, just to be sure. "Light" does not automatically mean healthy.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Ouch... I've seen that pic before. Not fun.

And cardio is OK, but if you really want to lose weight, you should do weight training. Building up muscle mass will kick your metabolism into overdrive.

You don't have to go super heavy if you don't want huge muscles, but you should be lifting. A low weight with high reps will get you in good lean shape in no time.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 pm

Woo, look out, world! Here comes Super Trainer TT! Very Happy

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:32 pm

Heh... hardly, but I know a few things. If only I could put it into practice.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by dgrintalis on Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:50 pm

I eat healthy, but I'm a vegan so my dietary advice probably wouldn't fit with your diet. Smile

Because of my day job, I have to be careful with my weight. I can always tell with my costumes if I've gained a pound or two and just cut back for a few days/weeks until the extra weight is gone.

The one thing I do which I recommend is small meals - 5 or 6 of them - instead of 3 big meals. It makes a difference and curbs the in-between meal need for snacks.

A few foodie things:
I drink lots of green tea.
Baby carrots and hummus makes a great snack.
Pink beans and spinach is to die for!

dgrintalis

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EffieCollins on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:05 am

I agree with D. Portion control is important and nothing beats a consistent exercise routine. For the sweets, if you love your sugar like I do, you may even crave it. To help with this (this is what I did when I cut back on sugary treats): Instead of having a candy bar on Monday when you want it, wait until Wednesday and share it with your SO. That way you aren't suffering with those gnawing cravings... you get a littlebit and you're okay again. If you drink sugar in your coffee, try cutting the amount of sugar in half (I was amazed that, not even six months ago, I was literally drinking six pounds of sugar a month in my coffee). Little things like that can go a long way to just being healthier. Moderation is important everywhere.

EffieCollins

http://efcollins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by JaymGates on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:41 am

I'm kind of a vegetarian, so again, won't be too much help here. I've been told that, as a vegetarian, I won't get enough protein, enough this, enough that, etc. etc.

Admission/preening: I'm 5'3 (BARELY), and last weighed in at 160. BMI puts me at grotesquely obese. But it's literally all muscle. (except the squishy girly parts that won't go away.) I put on 30 pounds of muscle in just over a year. I can out-work most of the guys, I'm getting pushed to try out for the police department, I train horses. I can't lift weights, do push-ups or box right now because of an accident many years ago, but I'm working back into that.

You CAN get protein as a vegetarian, easily. It's also easy to gain weight as a vegetarian. I eat pretty much whatever I want, but I had to choose what I wanted. I don't drink more than a bottle of wine a week, I don't smoke, I don't drink soda, and I barely eat candy. Chocolate, of course, is not included in candy, since it is dark, and therefore, necessary for my weak little heart to keep beating.

Things like beans and rice combine into a complete protein. A lot of people cut out nuts, cheese and oil, completely, because it's so fatty. Fat is essential for good hair and skin, it just has to be in moderation.

Sugar, salt and starch are the hidden culprits. White flour, huge amounts of sodium and sugar, etc. Total bear-traps. Try substituting honey for some sugar, cutting back on salt in favor of herbs and spices (which are quite healthy for you), and try to get whole-grain pastas and breads. Whole grains aren't so icky anymore! Most of them are actually quite good.

And, in case you think I'm some green healthnut swinging from the coconut tree of bonkers? My breakfast: Bourbon pecan pie and a latte. Lunch? Taco Bell. Granted, I was at a Con, but the point is, you can have lots of good food, and still lose weight/stay trim.

JaymGates

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:24 am

I LOVE whole grain bread and whole wheat pasta. Whenever I make bread, it's wheat. I'm not bad with fruits and vegetables, but I need to sneak more of them in, I think.

My number one weakness right now is honey cheerio treats. Like Rice Krispie treats, but with honey nut cheerios because they're sweeter. Oh my gosh, they're so good! I make them at least twice a week. Then I'll eat them all day to the exclusion of anything else. Which is, uh, not healthy.

Jayme, I'm half a foot taller than you!

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:31 am

Mercedes wrote:I LOVE whole grain bread and whole wheat pasta. Whenever I make bread, it's wheat. I'm not bad with fruits and vegetables, but I need to sneak more of them in, I think.

You're not listening to your trainer...

Carbs are converted into sugar by the body. Just eat a Snickers bar and get it over with...

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:51 am

Mmm, that sounds good, too.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by shadowflame1974 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:19 am

One thing I do when I want to lose weight is to up the fiber content of my diet.

I usually make a trail mix of whole grain cereals, nuts and dried fruits to munch on through out the day. And if you have to go ahead and throw in some semi sweet chocolate pieces in there for variety.

In the past, combined with lots of water and exercise, has allowed me to drop quite a few pounds.

shadowflame1974

http://shadowflame1974.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:24 pm

I hate proper exercise - I do just enough to fight off the ever-increasing beer and kebab belly. I try to go to the gym 3 times a week although I haven't been in over the last week due to panicking over essay deadlines. Will probably start going back again on Wednesday.

One thing I miss about being in Wales was the ability to go for amazing walks in the forests. Whilst walking around London can be fun, as it's all basically flat, you don't feel that satisfied exercise-wise after.

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:43 pm

I miss roaming around the area where I grew up, too. Desert on one side, mountains on the other. You go wandering around Vegas and you either get shot at or solicited. It's frustrating not being able to wander as I'd like.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Sampson on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:57 pm

I like the Sly Stallone diet (he looks pretty good for his age!). He works out and eats super healthy Monday to Friday. Then, at the weekend, he goes ballistic...burgers, pespi, pizza, coke, heroin, dead models in the bathroom (oh wait, is that slander?).

Anyway, then he's back on the goods come Monday.

Sounds like a lot of fun to me!

Cheers
Rich

Rich Sampson

http://www.rich-sampson.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:22 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top