My top 13 flicks of 2009

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My top 13 flicks of 2009

Post by Brian Sammons on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:30 pm

One of the places I do reviews for is The Black Glove and they asked me to do a Top 13 of the best horror/sci-fi/weird movies of 2009. So if you’d like to check it out you can do so HERE

For those that just wanted the cliff notes version of the list, here it is in no particular order:

PARANORMAL ACTIVITY
DISTRICT 9
ZOMBIELAND
WATCHMEN
DRAG ME TO HELL
GRACE
THE BURROWERS
DEADGIRL
SPLINTER
LET THE RIGHT ONE IN
MARTYRS
DEAD SNOW

For more info on any of these, check out my list. I loved these movies, but how about you? Did I miss some of your favorites this year? Or did you hate some of the ones that I listed? What would be your top 13 (or whatever) of 2009?

Brian Sammons

http://www.freewebs.com/brian_sammons/

Back to top Go down

Re: My top 13 flicks of 2009

Post by Shiney on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:39 pm

I just picked up a copy of "Grace" for $8....It looked good....

Ill need to dig in to a few of those....

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Sampson on Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:35 pm

A few I haven't seen, but Martyrs was an interesting one. Best first 40 mins of a movie I've seen in a long time. The twist in the middle is very heavy handed though.

Watchmen - Absolutely hated this ridiculous slow-mo obsessed micky take of a proper movie.

Inside (L'Interior) - Check this out. It's a nasty, nasty french flick (a la Martyrs) but easily the best of the bunch.

Cheers
Rich

Rich Sampson

http://www.rich-sampson.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:37 pm

INSIDE was great.....Great, I say.

Ranked along side CALVAIRE for movies that left me feeling unsettled for awhile...

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sammons on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:22 pm

Well we’ll have to agree to disagree about Watchmen…then agree that I’m right. HA! Very Happy

I do agree with Inside, love that horrifying and bloody flick. If you are looking for a feel good horror film then this is NOT the one to watch.

Say what you want to about the French but they are killing in the scary movie biz. Not everything they make is golden, didn’t really care for Frontier(s) and a few others, but the ones I like I really like.

Another Euro surprise are the horror flicks from the cold people, I mean the Scandinavians. Sweden had Let the Right On In, and Norway rocked out with two that I dug; Dead Snow and Cold Prey. All very good, ranging from excellent to just out and out fun. Hmmm, all three feature snow prominently, I wonder why… Smile

Brian Sammons

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Sampson on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:17 am

Snow and zombies (Dead Snow) is such an obvious concept, I'm amazed it's not been done a hundred times. Bloods, brains and partially digested limbs all look better on a blanket of the white crispy stuff.

No seriously, I'm right. Watchmen was cack, 300 was cack, that Snyder fella seems to have discovered his film making style through his xbox 360. Everything he does, just seems wet, thin and flimsy.

I am willing to have fist fights over Watchmen (and I have watched a couple of UFC's, so I'm down with the punchy punchy, right!)

Rich Sampson

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 am

Brian Sammons wrote:Say what you want to about the French

Ohhh... and I do....

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:31 am

It's a few years old, but I loved "Frontier(s)".

I strongly recommend the mexican film "Santa Sangre" for those who like their horro a bit surreal and strange....it's from 1989, I believe and has never been released over here. I got a Korean all region copy and it's fine...but damn, what a smack in the face this film is. Basically a retelling of Psycho, set in a circus and full of bizarro symbolism. Great great stuff!!

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sammons on Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:31 pm

Rich Sampson wrote:No seriously, I'm right. Watchmen was cack, 300 was cack, that Snyder fella seems to have discovered his film making style through his xbox 360. Everything he does, just seems wet, thin and flimsy.
I agree, Snyder’s flicks ARE crack, but maybe we have different used for that word. Imagine this: you’re pigging out on a bag of cookies, a buddy watches you and walks up and says, “Man, you hungry?” and you respond, “Dude I can’t help it, these cookies are like crack.” In this example, crack is a reference to the drug. It makes you feel good and you can’t stop using (read as: watching, eating, listening, etc) even though you know it’s not good for you. Those are Snyder’s flicks to a T. Yeah they’re not great films, kind of like junk food for the brain, but I can sit down and watch them at any given moment and enjoy the hell out of them. That is something I can’t say about a lot of “serious” films. The number 1 sin any film can make (IMHO) is to not hold my interest, to bore me, and that is something I have never felt while watching one of Zack’s movies. So I stand by it; I loved Watchmen, and not just because it had lots of big blue penis in it…although that helped. Wink

But hey, if you want to throw down over this, I’m game. I’ll have to channel my inner Brock Lesnar. “Brock’s tummy all better, now Brock smash!”

Brian Sammons

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:10 pm

Last edited by kurtnewton on Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sammons on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:05 pm

kurtnewton wrote:I can't think of any other horror movies I saw this year that I could list except EDEN LAKE which came out in late 2008 but I caught last year. EDEN LAKE is another brutal one that kept me on the edge of my seat and actually makes a couple social comments in the process. Definitely worth a rental.

That's it.
Hmm, I never saw that one, which is amazing because I’m completely OCD about watching horror flicks. I’ll have to hunt it down.

Another one that I thought of after I did the list is another flick from Europe called [REC]. It’s from Spain, came out there in 2008 (I think) but didn’t hit North America on DVD till 2009 when it’s rather lack luster American remake (Quarantine) came out. I very much liked this movie. Much better than the remake. A bit of tiny spoilage ahead:

Spoiler:
While the American movie is pure science, the original has a bit of a supernatural twist at the end (or at least the possibility of one) that was completely unexpected and I really liked it.

So if you guys and gals haven’t seen [REC] and can stand the first person camera POV (i.e. Blair Witch & Cloverfield) then I highly recommend it.

Brian Sammons

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:31 pm

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Sampson on Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:19 am

EDEN LAKE was an interesting movie. The ending was a liitle lame, but definitely had some excellent moments. It's pretty balsy when it comes to kid deaths, something generally shied away from in movies.

REC is a cracking little movie. The final 10 minutes are fantastic; bloody freaky anorexic thing that pops out is so well done. I was trying to work out if they got an actual malnourished chick to play the part!

STORM WARNING - I saw this aussie flick recently and its a solid, nasty back-woods movie. I blogged a quick review: Rich Sampson

FRONTIERES - I watched this little steamer of a dog turd last night. Confusing, jumbled, uneven and 'try-far-too-hard' bollocks. Not recommended.

Cheers,
Rich

Rich Sampson

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:44 pm

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Sampson on Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:11 pm

kurtnewton wrote:Okay, INSIDE and STORM WARNING added to the list. Thanks Rich!

Let me know what you think. Your in for a real treat with Inside...

Cheers,

Rich Sampson

Back to top Go down

Post by EffieCollins on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Where the heck is teh lurve for Zombieland?? Yeah, it got some hype, but it's one of the few films that actually deserved it. I got to say, when I heard "For Whom the Bell Tolls" start playing for the opening credits, I was like... "Hells yeah!". Anything that starts with Metallica has to kick total ass. And it didn't disappoint.

I was pleasantly surprised by District 9. I thought it was going to be as dumb as every other alien movie in the world, but I enjoyed it. The ending scenes were oddly touching and that made me happy. Sci-fi doesn't have to mean galactic explosions and violence without meaning. This one had depth to it. I dig it.

Watchmen was okay. I didn't care enough for it to re-watch it, but I didn't hate it either.

EffieCollins

http://efcollins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:29 pm

I loed ZOMBIELAND...I hated DISTRICT 9...I abhor heavy politically slanted opinion passed of as entertainment. I'm a dick like that.

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sammons on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:31 pm

EffieCollins wrote:Where the heck is teh lurve for Zombieland??
It's #3 on my list. I loved it lots.

Brian Sammons

Back to top Go down

Post by Rich Sampson on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:41 am

EffieCollins wrote:Where the heck is teh lurve for Zombieland?? Yeah, it got some hype, but it's one of the few films that actually deserved it. I got to say, when I heard "For Whom the Bell Tolls" start playing for the opening credits, I was like... "Hells yeah!". Anything that starts with Metallica has to kick total ass. And it didn't disappoint.

I was pleasantly surprised by District 9. I thought it was going to be as dumb as every other alien movie in the world, but I enjoyed it. The ending scenes were oddly touching and that made me happy. Sci-fi doesn't have to mean galactic explosions and violence without meaning. This one had depth to it. I dig it.

Watchmen was okay. I didn't care enough for it to re-watch it, but I didn't hate it either.

It's not on DVD over here yet, so I haven't seen it. Frickin' cinema's are way too expensive in the UK.

And don't get me started on 3D...

Rich

Rich Sampson

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:43 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top