Your First....

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Your First....

Post by O'Dandelo on Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:12 pm

My horror origins (horrigins?) are pretty prosaic. I read Carrie when I was 8 and never looked back. I had a giant poster of Freddy Kreuger over my bed when I was growing up, and my mom used to blame it all on the fact she saw The Exorcist when she was pregnant with me.

O'Dandelo

Back to top Go down

Post by J_Kyle on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:23 pm

I think I picked up the Goosebumps books at age six, and there went my allowance every week until I was seven or eight. From there I moved on to the Scary Stories to Tell In the Dark books, which absolutely blew my young mind. I also remember a book with a mummy on the cover, where some kids are trapped in a museum and a mummy is draining everyone's blood.

Scariest story I remember from childhood is one about two farmers. They make a scarecrow that they name after a farmer they don't like. The scarecrow comes to life and the very last scene in the story has the scarecrow hanging one farmer's skin like he's about to tan leather.

Fantasy books have dominated most of my reading time since, but I'm slowly finding my way back into the fold, and wondering why I ever quit in the first place.

J_Kyle

Back to top Go down

Post by KitPower on Thu May 30, 2013 11:38 am

Well, it can't have been my first, can it? Statistically unlikely, and I mean how could you start there? But the first one I remember was IT. I was ten, and it pretty well blew the bloody doors off for me.

I'm pretty sure it's King who, in On Writing, says 'Fiction is write what you know. Horror is write what scares you'. That's pretty much been an operating principle for my writing so far, and even when what comes out is not 'straight' horror, it is (if I've done my job) likely to keep you up at night... And I'm pretty sure I have IT, in large part, to thank for that. I still think itís his masterpiece.

KitPower

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Fri May 31, 2013 1:43 pm

I'm not necessarily all horror, I just love it. My first scare came watching Twilight Zone's 'The Dummy'. The nightmare that followed is what I based my first horror story on years later. The story was written for a class and the teacher chose it to read aloud to follow up with the reasons why it didn't work, except that it did. I saw it in everyone's eyes as she read. Unfortunately, that story was lost in a fire and I was unable to capture it quite that way again.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by markgunnells on Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:16 pm

Actually what first got me into horror was a TV show...the original Twilight Zone. †Loved it then, love it now, feel it remains a big influence on my writing.

As far as literary horror, King...discovered him in high school and never turned back.

markgunnells

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:44 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum