Your First....

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Your First....

Post by Shiney on Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:47 pm

What first got you into the dark side that is horror...be it book, film, zombie attacking and eating your dog when you were four...What!!!!!

For me I was like 6 and the grade school library had this book, which demanded my attention:

This thing was full of tasty "true" tales of monsters and weirdness....folk tale critters and bigfoots and all kindsa cuh-razy shit...

I actually bought a copy a few years ago and still dig it out once in awhile....

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Re: Your First....

Post by JNewman on Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:44 pm

Mine were those SCARY STORIES TO TELL IN THE DARK books. In fact, I still love 'em . . . .

God, the artwork *alone* in that series was the stuff of nightmares, all stringy and "decayed"-looking. Fantastic.

J.N.

JNewman

http://www.james-newman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:19 am

Xander (my son) loves those too....

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewkempster on Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:59 am

The first novel I ever read was The Dark Half. After that I was hooked on Stephen King's books. But I was into horror films way before that as a kid, Dawn Of The Dead being a huge film for me, but also The Thing and Christine. I still love them all. GOOD horror films these days tend to be very few and far between.

andrewkempster

http://fairweatherwriter.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:27 am

I'm much more a reader of the "new school." I never read for pleasure as a kid (no time for that, what with a drunken father always being an irritating twat). It wasn't until high school that I truly found personal reading rewarding. I read the "classics" as required in school and I generally disliked them all. Except Of Mice and Men. I absolutely loved that book. I read it in a day. It's short, but it was a school assignment that I had two weeks to do. Definitely loved that book, though. Still do. It opened my eyes.

Then one day after school, I was at my locker and someone had left Dean Koontz's "Lightning" on top of their locker. Naturally, I stole it. And the rest is history. That book blew me away. And it wasn't because I was new to the whole reading thing; it's still an amazing book in my eyes. I strictly read horror/suspense for about a decade. Dean Koontz, Stepehn King, John Saul, Peter Straub, Mary Higgins Clark, Boris Starling (read "Messiah"), etc.

About ten years ago now, I read Clive Barker's "Everville." Fascinating book, if not confusing as all hell. Of course, it wasn't until I finished the book and loved it that I realized it was a sequel to The Great and Secret Show. No wonder it was confusing. I then read Secret Show; loved it. Then I checked out Imagica and Weaveworld. Both killer. And that led me to fantasy. I used to love playing RPG video games, but for some odd reason never made the leap to books until my mid-20s. I began with Terry Brooks; read everything he'd written. Huge fan now. I then tried David Eddings, R. A. Salvatore, George R. R. Martin, and a bunch of others. Now I love fantasy as well.

But like everything, I generally find the so-called classics to be missing the cl and ics. Poe? Pffft! Tolkien? Pffft! Lovecraft? Pffft! Faulkner? Pffft! It's the language I can't get on board with. I won't truly say the stories are bad, but I just can't appreciate them if I feel like I'm trudging through neck-deep mud while reading it. So I'm much more a fan of the new school writers.

Aside from me recommending Boris Starling's "Messiah," I think everyone should read Ken Follett's "Pillars of the Earth." What a brilliant book!

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:53 am

Kenwood wrote:But like everything, I generally find the so-called classics to be missing the cl and ics. Poe? Pffft! Tolkien? Pffft! Lovecraft? Pffft! Faulkner? Pffft! It's the language I can't get on board with. I won't truly say the stories are bad, but I just can't appreciate them if I feel like I'm trudging through neck-deep mud while reading it. So I'm much more a fan of the new school writers.

I really do need to head back east some day to introduce you to my baseball bat. batter

My first??

Difficult to say... I've been reading ever since I can remember. My first Stephen King book was The Dead Zone, so that might be my first horror book.... or maybe not....

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:45 pm

The first "real" horror book I ever read...was probably "Salem's Lot" when I was 10 or 11....

The first film I remember that scared me was "BLACK SABBATH" on a late night chiller theatre type show...

Ken, you really do need to make an effort o appreciate the classics...it's lineage, fucker!!

I know Lovecraft is dryer thn a popcorn fart, but it's required....

I have a classic for you to track down and read...it's sci-fi-Ish but it will blow your mind:

THE SHEEP LOOK UP by John Brunner....

One of the best future eco-thrillers ever, next to 'THE BRIDGE"

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:52 pm

Poop on the appreciate the classics noise!

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:54 pm

I'm gonna sic the Goat With A Thousand Young on you. :twisted:

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:My first Stephen King book was The Dead Zone,

Hey, the Dead Zone was also MY first! She told me I was the only one -- the whore!

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:00 pm

She told me we were going to the prom together...... I waited and waited in my pink taffeta dress and nothing..... not even a phone call..... Sad

Of course, Carrie showed up at that prom, so I felt better about it the next day. :twisted:

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:02 pm

lmao

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by JNewman on Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:19 pm

As for the first *adult* horror novel I ever read, that would be Anne Rivers-Siddons' THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR. It remains one of my favorites to this day, and is one of only 4 or 5 novels that I "revisit" once every 3 or 4 years . . . .

J.N.

JNewman

http://www.james-newman.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:30 am

JNewman wrote:Anne Rivers-Siddons' THE HOUSE NEXT DOOR.

bow

Great book!

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by cvrysen on Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:47 pm

Nice Shub-Niggurath reference TT!

My first foray into the darker side of literature was a copy of good old Grimm's, one of the less censored versions. I was a little young; was looking for something to read after getting through my first couple of golden books and little big books on my own.

After a few years of tromping through the darker side of faerie and various mythologies, my gateway to actual horror was either the Necronomicon or S.K.'s The Eyes Of The Dragon.
Given my never-ending hunger for stories (even as a kid I would chow down and devour at least a book a day, given the option), after breaking the seal with those two books, horror and dark fantasy tales fell like wheat to the scythe of my ravenous eyes.

cvrysen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:50 am

I think "The Wolfen" by Whitley Strieber was my first horror novel, though "The Dark" by Herbert was the one that really made me wet me knickers.

Also, thinking about it as i type, the ending to 'Tess of the d'Urbervilles' gave me nightmares centered around hanging, for years. Don't read Thomas Hardy as a preteen!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Natalie L. Sin on Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:25 pm

When I was a kid I couldn't get enough of true shark attack books. Smile

Natalie L. Sin

http://www.myspace.com/sinauthor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:33 pm

Dating myself terribly, but what first got me into horror was actually Arch Obler's Drop Dead stories on album, when I was like 9, and The Ghoul outta Detroit, he was popular when I lived around there and you hadda love Sir Graves Smile. Most people've never heard of any of that though.

Carrie was fun and the Dead movies, starting from One, "They're coming to getchyou, Barbara..." Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Bizzy on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:05 pm

Flabby wrote:I think "The Wolfen" by Whitley Strieber was my first horror novel

Eat yer heart out :oP

Bizzy

http://www.writersbbs.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?forum=horror_h

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:49 pm

Sweet! Shock Totem is on laptops!

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:04 am

LOL, nice one , Bizzy!!!

We'll be having one of those "post your comp" threads before you know it!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by kmorg on Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:36 pm

Since I was 6 years old I've been an avid heavy metal fanatic. It started with KISS, and their larger than life personas. And since horror and metal have always sort of been two sides of the same story, horror movies was soon another fascination. Books, however, came much later. I can't remember exactly what the firt novel I read was, but I think Stephen King's "Misery" was one of them. I also read book-versions of "The Exorcist" and "Night of the Living Dead".

kmorg

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sammons on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:32 pm

I was a wimp growing up. I can remember, as a young child, laying awake in my bed with my mom & dad watched The Omen out in the living room and just hearing the creepy, chanting music scared the hell out of me. Smile Flash forward to one night over my uncle’s house and he rents from the video store a couple of flicks for my cousins, brother, and I. they were Sleepaway Camp (one of the most twisted endings ever!) and Friday the 13th part 4. From that moment on I was hooked on horror.

1st book I ever read for me (as opposed to for school): Stephen King’s The Shining. I keep going back to it every so often as I love it.

1st musical artist I really got into: Alice Cooper. Why? Because he was so damn spooky! lol

Brian Sammons

http://www.freewebs.com/brian_sammons/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:50 pm

One of the first books that I ever learned to read by myself was called Unicorn Magic. There was this creepy old guy who changed straw into people and people into straw. Scared me to death. As did the eerie villain on Unico. As did It. We're talking 5, 6, 7 years old here. I decided that being mildly scared was exciting.

That's probably why I like whimsical, enchanting horror and not straight up blood and guts. That, and I'm just a frickin' pansy.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Haggis on Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:10 pm

For straight horror it had to be a collection of Poe shorts. I also seem to remember reading an anthology of SF and horror stories edited by Rob Serling, IIRC. We're talking stone ages, folks.

Haggis

http://stewiechihuey.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:59 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum