There are horror writers other than Stephen King

View previous topic View next topic Go down

There are horror writers other than Stephen King

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:19 am

I notice that there are currently eight threads concerning Stephen King and his family, and thought it might be nice to discuss an exciting nonKing writer I've recently discovered -- because I think there's a particular delight in encountering a fresh new voice. This guy's name is Richard Gavin; he's a Canadian writer whose collection OMENS (from Mythos Books) has garnered a lot of rave reviews. Having just finished it, I can understand why. Please check out a review I did of Gavin's OMENS, at my blog, here:
http://punktalk.punktowner.com/?p=392
Thanks for listening!
- Jeffrey Thomas

Back to top Go down

Re: There are horror writers other than Stephen King

Post by Mercedes on Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:58 am

C-c-c-crazy for Swayze!

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:40 am

I smell canned meatish product....

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:31 am

Jeff! Thanks for stopping in. You have to do something about that avatar, however... it brings out strange responses in people.

I just read that review and will definitely check out Gavin. On his website, At Fear's Altar, he's got a free piece of fiction called "Prowling Through Throated Chambers" available for download (from his Dark Regions collection The Darkly Splendid Realm).

I also thought it kind of ironic that when I visited Gavin's site, his latest post is called In the Court of the Crimson King, about Gavin's attendance at an Evening with Stephen King in Toronto recently. Aaaiiieee!!! You can't get away from the King! He's omnipresent...he's producing offspring to carry on his omnipresence...he's...he's...he's not human!!!

Personally, I stopped reading King back around The Tommyknockers. I
had read everything and anything King up till that point, and I think I just saturated and had to move on. But I do understand the attraction -- that nice, comfy feeling of "You're in good hands with Stevie". For any King fan, a new story, a new novel is like a warm piece of Mom's apple pie...wriggling with maggots.

But you are correct -- there are so many great reads out there from relative unknowns (compared to King, that is). We can start a recommended reading list right here, right now, if you'd like. You started it. Richard Gavin. Okay, here's my contribution: JEFFREY THOMAS. Author of the following:

Novels
Health Agent (2008)
Blue War (2008)
Deadstock (2007)
Boneland (2004)
Everybody Scream! (2004)
Letters From Hades (2003)
Monstrocity (2003)
Punktown (2000)

Collections
Doomsdays (2007)
Thirteen Specimens (2006)
Unholy Dimensions (2005)
Honey Is Sweeter Than Blood (2004)
Aaaiiieee!!! (2002)
Terror Incognita (2000)

And miscellaneous other collectives. He's even written an original Nightmare on Elmstreet novel folks called A Nightmare On Elm Street: The Dream Dealers. So check Mr. Thomas out. I'd start with Punktown for novels and Aaaiiieee!!! for collections just to begin at the beginning. If you can't find those, pick any one on that list and enjoy.

Change that avatar!

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:53 pm

I smell canned meatish product....

It would have been spam if I'd been promoting myself instead of another author with whom I am not affiliated but whose work I greatly admire (I wouldn't think the posts praising King and kin are spam, eh wot?). It's a legitimate suggestion that readers should always broaden their scope. But I have enjoyed King many a time, myself, of course. And Kurt, thanks for the welcome and the mention of my own work. You saved me from having to spam myself. For now, anyway!

Last edited by Punktowner on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:24 pm

I like Swayze as much as the next guy, but I did change that icon, Kurt.

P.S. - You rule for the plug, Kurt, but just to mention PUNKTOWN is a collection, not a novel.

Last edited by Punktowner on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : footnote)

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Sun Nov 22, 2009 7:28 pm

Great cover, Jeff! And I was scratching my head over the "canned meatish product" comment. It was borderline at best. Maybe Shiney will explain himself.

But now that you're here, we actually have a thread for pointing us in the direction of your own good fortune (when that arises). See Bits of You for Sale--Sold. We're not shy about jumping up and down and patting ourselves on the back.

Other writers I can suggest:

Lucius Shepard (any one of his collections -- begin with The Jaguar Hunter)
Gary Braunbeck (any one of his collections, In Silent Graves, Mr. Hands, Coffin County, Far Dark Fields)
Michael Marshall Smith (The Servants, and everything else the guy has written)

All are prolific and of the highest quality. Anybody else have any recommended reading?

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Punktowner wrote:just to mention PUNKTOWN is a collection, not a novel.

Sorry about that. But to clarify: all the stories in the collection PUNKTOWN take place in the dark distopic world of Punktown. And Punktown is the place where most of Jeff's novels have taken place: Monstrocity, Everybody Scream!, Deadstock and Blue War.

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:25 pm

Punktowner wrote:I smell canned meatish product....

It would have been spam if I'd been promoting myself instead of another author with whom I am not affiliated but whose work I greatly admire (I wouldn't think the posts praising King and kin are spam, eh wot?). It's a legitimate suggestion that readers should always broaden their scope. But I have enjoyed King many a time, myself, of course. And Kurt, thanks for the welcome and the mention of my own work. You saved me from having to spam myself. For now, anyway!

I was just messin' with ya....we are not oppposed to spam here...so long as your arent shucking purses and leather shoes....

Welcome...And I will add some of these books to my growing "need to check" into list...

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:00 pm

Punktowner wrote:I smell canned meatish product....

I'm actually surprised that this part of the forum hasn't been busier, to be honest. Not that I've helped. King isn't even a favorite of mine and I started a couple King threads. Haha.

Either way, welcome.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:13 pm

When someone's first post at a forum is snide and critical, it's difficult to know the intention or character of the poster. It raises a troll flag, at the very least.

I trust that that was not your intent, and that you'll stick around and let us get to know you better, Jeff. Smile

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:06 am

Thanks for clarifying about PUNKTOWN, Kurt. I'd recommend people read more Kurt Newton, too -- he's another exciting, inventive, unpredictable voice in horror who deserves a much larger readership.

Yikes...Lord forbid I ever become a "troll." Didn't mean to be snide. Critical, maybe...a little...but not snide. I meant to be challenging at worst, stimulating at best. Anyway, thanks for the welcomes! I'll definitely be sticking around!

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:42 am

Yes, this forum is heavily policed to keep trolls away. Wishniks, however, get a free pass.

Punktowner wrote:I'd recommend people read more Kurt Newton, too -- he's another exciting, inventive, unpredictable voice in horror who deserves a much larger readership.

Thanks, man, I'm working on it!

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:55 am

Kurt Newton? Who is that? He doesn't steal cookies when nobody is around, does he?

Welcome, Jeffrey. Thanks for the Gavin info. I'll be sure to check him out. Smile

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:57 am

Mercedes -- you'll be happy to know that in a conversation I had just the other day with someone who stopped by our table at Killercon remembered you not as Mercedes -- the one dressed to kill with the penetrating eyes, or Mercedes -- the one who was nicer than nice and as patient as Mother Teresa in stilettos...no, you were remembered as the "one who made the cookies." What the hell did you put in those things?

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:49 pm

What the hell did you put in those things?

Little bits of my soul. When the time is right, I'll merely call, and everybody who sampled a cookie will rise and become my unstoppable army.

So I'm good at giving cookies away, but I'm lousy at selling magazines. Next time I'll have to leap over the desk and threaten...or something. Still, it was awesome! I'll probably go again next year. With more cookies, of course. They are my secret weapon.

That, and my knives.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:08 pm

kurtnewton wrote:Mercedes -- you'll be happy to know that in a conversation I had just the other day with someone who stopped by our table at Killercon remembered you not as Mercedes -- the one dressed to kill with the penetrating eyes, or Mercedes -- the one who was nicer than nice and as patient as Mother Teresa in stilettos...no, you were remembered as the "one who made the cookies." What the hell did you put in those things?
lol

The cookie thing was awesome!

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:25 pm

Ken...We should make some FUDGE PUPPIES to give away at NECON....

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:35 pm

Shiney wrote:Ken...We should make some FUDGE PUPPIES to give away at NECON....
So we're rooming together, then?

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:17 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top