The Last Wave

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Last Wave

Post by Shiney on Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:35 am

Anyone else seen this hauntingly visual masterpiece? I saw it years ago and had forgotten about it...until catching it on IFC this morning.

Peter Weir (director of the also fantastic PICNIC AT HANGING ROCK) conducts this film, which concerns a Sydney lawyer who defends a group of Aboriginal men accused of the ritual killing of one of their own...at least that is the starting point of this surrealish precursor to a story more akin to modern works like DONNIE DARKO and BUTTERFLY EFFECT. But it is truly a superb film, brillian and beautiful.

Add it to your queues already!!!! (those who have the IFC channel...it runs again later today....)

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Re: The Last Wave

Post by kurtnewton on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:31 pm

Yes, a much overlooked masterpiece. PICNIC is cool too. If I recall, both have that slow-build impending doom feel to them. Great to watch on a rainy afternoon.

Weir has directed some really great movies: The Year of Living Dangerously, Witness, The Mosquito Coast, Dead Poet's Society, and one of my favorites: Fearless, with Jeff Bridges and Isabella Rossellini.

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:34 pm

I watched FEARLESS the other day....great flick!!

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash Boy on Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:28 pm

Oh yeah i love The Last Wave, stunning original masterpiece. One of the best 5 or so films from Australia imo. Stars David Gulpilil, an immense talent who's been in many fine films including Walkabout, Rabbit Proof Fence, The Tracker, The Proposition, Ten Canoes etc.

Picnic At Hanging Rock is brilliant as well. I've been to Hanging Rock and i can tell you it is one eerie place, i was walking there with the family and all of a sudden this fog just rolled in and i was like get me out of here!

Flash Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:36 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top