Shock Totem Forum Members Doing It Bloggy Style

Page 4 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 36  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Shock Totem Forum Members Doing It Bloggy Style

Post by Kenwood on Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:45 pm

Mercedes wrote:Kurt Newton was gallant enough to guest post on my blog today. Check it out HERE.
I have a blog started that is similar, though it's ridiculously long, which is why I never finished it. Haha.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Dec 21, 2009 7:23 pm

I read it already...and commented....Awesome, He is.

As are you for allowing him to use your platform.

Ha, we had a challenge and I won, so he agreed to do a guest post. Still, it's great cross-promotion either way. That's another reason that I'm doing the Mask series.

Good guy, our K.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balor on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:18 pm

Sadie, I have to say, that blog post made me tear up something fierce. That Kurt...(Rob thwacks chest with fist)...he's on our side, ain't he?

Balor

http://robertduperre.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:50 pm

You crack me up, Robby D. Smile

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:58 am

Defender of truth, justice and the written word!

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:32 am

You should frame that over your writing desk, K.

Oh! Did I tell you that I have a writing desk now? If I was productive before (and I was, once upon a time) then I'll be super special awesome now!

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:08 am

I hope to have an office someday....with an entire wall as a rack for my cds which now rot in boxes downstairs....and where I can hang all my cool posters and shit....and write and stuff.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Hey, I have three CD racks you can have. Four, actually...I think. They each hold about 500 discs. Want them?

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:11 pm

I have a fantasy of one day having my own office. It will be light and sunny and everything in there will be mine, and nobody can touch it.

This desk is just pushed against the wall in our bedroom. It's right next to the laundry basket and we trip over the chair in order to get to our clothes. But I'm super excited!

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:25 pm

Mercedes wrote:I have a fantasy of one day having my own office. It will be light and sunny and everything in there will be mine, and nobody can touch it.

This desk is just pushed against the wall in our bedroom. It's right next to the laundry basket and we trip over the chair in order to get to our clothes. But I'm super excited!
You know, when we first encountered you online, I thought you had loads of money. lol

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:46 pm

Oh yeah? Why is that? No wonder you guys asked me to join! Fooled you! Twisted Evil

My husband has a great job, actually. We just have more expenses than the average bear. My son's medical bills are pretty substantial, and that's without the different therapies and all of that. And buying a house in Vegas was nearly impossible two years ago! I love this house. LOVE it, but it's tiny. 1050 square feet. A house this size went for anywhere between $200,000-$450,000 dollars then. Vegas is kind of a $$ suck.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:54 pm

Mercedes wrote:Oh yeah? Why is that? No wonder you guys asked me to join! Fooled you! Twisted Evil
Nah, I think at that point we knew better. Plus I told you there was no monetary obligation. And I have no idea why I thought that. Maybe you just have that look. Do you ever wear sweats with bleach stains?

My husband has a great job, actually. We just have more expenses than the average bear. My son's medical bills are pretty substantial, and that's without the different therapies and all of that. And buying a house in Vegas was nearly impossible two years ago! I love this house. LOVE it, but it's tiny. 1050 square feet. A house this size went for anywhere between $200,000-$450,000 dollars then. Vegas is kind of a $$ suck.
If I win the lottery, I'll hook you guys up. =)

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Tue Dec 22, 2009 5:04 pm

Do you ever wear sweats with bleach stains?

Today it's gray pajama pants with white bunnies on them and my husband's t-shirt. Close enough, right? But DUDE, I LOVE shopping! I'm good at it. I can find steals like no other. I live for the thrill of the hunt.

It's the name. Mercedes Yardley is an expensive sounding name. It leads good men astray.

Ha, keep your imaginary lotto money. As my son gets older, we get more and more things figured out, and eventually the bills will taper off. We're golden. No, wait, you can totally buy me a new pair of heels, though. To show your appreciation for adding some glitter to this joint. Wink

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Fri Dec 25, 2009 4:23 pm

Okay, remember that guest blog post I wrote for Mercedes? Well, it got "trackbacked" or "pingbacked" or whatever it's called when someone writes their own blog response and connects their post to yours. The person who responded was Paul Tremblay.

Let me first say that Paul and I are (were?) friends (we even drove to Chicago together for a World Horror Con), I've been a huge advocate of his writing (my name is on the acknowledgements page of his first novel for craps-sake!), so his reaction is somewhat mystifying... to me (and the fact that he didn't contact me first before quoting my words has me a bit pissed). I feel like I've been thrown under the bus. A Big Boring Literary Horror Bus. But I'd be curious to hear anyone's thoughts on the matter. Was I wrong? Should I have made myself clearer?

It's kind of ironic that I wrote what I wrote to try and get people to stop wasting their time arguing over shit like this and just write, and here we are...

Anyway, in case you didn't read it, here's my original guest post, and here's Paul Tremblay's Response.

What I don't want is for anyone to go over to Paul's blog and rip him a new asshole. That would just feed into his argument. So just be cool, stay above the fray, and let me know what you think.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by kurtnewton on Fri Dec 25, 2009 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:01 pm

Can't write much now, but I think he's blogging angry. Seems his thoughts are a bit jumbled and it's a knee-jerk response. Let it go for now and enjoy the holidays, bro. Pick up the discussion in a few days or next week.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Fri Dec 25, 2009 9:42 pm

I didn't really get what Tremblay's point was. I was a bit surprised when I read it, seeing as Kurt's post was, "What's up with all of this division?" and the response was, "I'm highbrow, so sue me." Maybe not the response that I would have expected, but K's post definitely struck something in him, and this could turn into a really interesting conversation.

I also wonder how he found that post, because I doubt he's reading the Illustrious Blog of Mercedes Yardley. Either he's following K or somebody else read it and sent it to him. Which makes me wonder if it's a subject that has been on his mind for some reason.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Mercedes wrote:I didn't really get what Tremblay's point was. I was a bit surprised when I read it, seeing as Kurt's post was, "What's up with all of this division?" and the response was, "I'm highbrow, so sue me." Maybe not the response that I would have expected, but K's post definitely struck something in him, and this could turn into a really interesting conversation.

Yeah, I would have thought a nice calm rational discussion would result, but Paul's dug in his heels and apparently feels betrayed. Off-screen he's actually quite angry with my presumed "attack".

Mercedes wrote:I also wonder how he found that post, because I doubt he's reading the Illustrious Blog of Mercedes Yardley. Either he's following K or somebody else read it and sent it to him. Which makes me wonder if it's a subject that has been on his mind for some reason.

I didn't alert him of the post and I didn't mention on my own live journal that I'd be guest posting. Somebody must have driven by and written down the license plate number and sent it to Paul. Nabbed. Darn.

I'm not exactly sure but I think there is something else contributing to Paul's anger and my post was just the match that set it off. It's unfortunate because I was trying to take a hot button topic and diffuse it a bit, get people to not so much agree with each other but to have a mutual respect for how each goes about their business. I feel like the guy who tries to break up a bar fight and ends up getting stabbed in the process. It doesn't really make me want to voice an opinion publicly again...

Which leads me to today's post on my live journal. Enjoy.

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Dec 27, 2009 4:38 pm

There are plenty of messengers out there. A few people have blogged about things I said and they never personally read what I wrote, at least initially; someone ran to them and blabbed knowing full well what their reaction would be. How's that for subtle manipulation?

I think, in this instance, what has got some riled up are the words highbrow (an intellectual snob) and lowbrow (an uneducated idiot). Now, clearly what you wrote was tongue-in-cheek, like Paul pointed out. Unfortunately he wasn't charitable enough to not embrace knee-jerk literalism and take offense.

I understand, given the choice, that most will pick intellect over idiot when referring to themselves, but considering the overall tone of your post—which was, essentially, lighten up, let it go, just write—I'm not sure why Paul felt the need to lump himself in with the so-called highbrows. Why must there even be that distinction?

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks Ken and Mercedes, I was doing the "Is it me? No, it's him, right?" thing and it was driving me nuts.

As my live journal post states, from now on I'll let my stories do the talking.

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:28 pm

kurtnewton wrote:As my live journal post states, from now on I'll let my stories do the talking.
This is a wise decision. You don't see the truly professional writers taking digs at specific people online (and that's not a dig of my own or referring to Paul). Stephen King had issues with a famous author—who has remained nameless—and he wrote "Dedication" to explore "the idea of why such famous and talented people can sometimes be horrible in real life." The professional—or writerly—approach.

Sadly, in the tough-guy Internet age, people just get on their electronic soapbox and call people out by name. And, apparently, this is now respected—and demanded, if one is to be taken seriously and not be called a liar. Baffling.

Anyway, I hope you don't completely shut down. We could all learn a thing or two from you.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:50 pm

I have to admit that I'm upset. It's my blog, it's my stomping ground, and my friends can say what they like there. Especially since it was done in good spirits and because of a friendly challenge. I don't appreciate people taking offense at things that really didn't have anything to do with them. They invited themselves to the party and ruined all of our fun. The intention was definitely not to offend, and it frustrates me when people choose to take offense at innocent things.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:10 pm

Kenwood wrote:Anyway, I hope you don't completely shut down. We could all learn a thing or two from you.

Thanks Ken. My wisdom will still be available to Shock Totemites for a nominal fee.

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:22 pm

Mercedes wrote:I have to admit that I'm upset. It's my blog, it's my stomping ground, and my friends can say what they like there. Especially since it was done in good spirits and because of a friendly challenge. I don't appreciate people taking offense at things that really didn't have anything to do with them. They invited themselves to the party and ruined all of our fun. The intention was definitely not to offend, and it frustrates me when people choose to take offense at innocent things.

What sucks is now I get the impression "somebody" is watching, making sure we all behave.

We'll just have to have another party and lock the doors!

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:32 pm

Mercedes wrote:I have to admit that I'm upset. It's my blog, it's my stomping ground, and my friends can say what they like there. Especially since it was done in good spirits and because of a friendly challenge. I don't appreciate people taking offense at things that really didn't have anything to do with them. They invited themselves to the party and ruined all of our fun. The intention was definitely not to offend, and it frustrates me when people choose to take offense at innocent things.
I'm reading Salvatore's The Orc King right now, and I found something particularly relevant to this discussion and the changes in publishing in general. Salvatore's most famous character—one of the most famous in fantasy, for that matter—is Drizzt Do'Urden, and some time ago Salvatore started including journal-like entries from Drizzt before each major section of his Drizzt novels. In general, they're rather cheesy and pointless, but as I read this earlier today, this part stood out:

In any honest analysis, change is the basis of fear, the idea of something new, of some paradigm that is unfamiliar, that is beyond our experiences so completely that we cannot even truly predict where it will lead us. Change. Uncertainty.

It is the very root of our most primal fear—the fear of death—that one change, that one unknown against which we construct elaborate scenarios and "truisms" that may or may not be true at all. These constructions, I think, are an extension of the routines of our lives. We dig ruts with the sameness of our daily paths, and drone and rail against those routines while we, in fact, take comfort in them. We awake and construct our days of habit, and follow the norms we have built fast, solid, and bending only a bit in our daily existence. Change is the unrolled die, the unused sava piece [this is a game within the books, similar to chess]. It is exciting and frightening only when we hold some power over it, only when there is a potential reversal of course, difficult thought it may be, within our control.

Absent that safety line of real choice, absent that sense of some control, change is merely frightening. Terrifying, even.
Yes, I quoted philosophy from a Dungeons & Dragons book. So what! Laughing It's completely true, though.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Dec 28, 2009 1:42 am

Yes, I quoted philosophy from a Dungeons & Dragons book.

lol

What sucks is now I get the impression "somebody" is watching, making sure we all behave.

It's good, in a way. There's nothing wrong with being on our best behavior. As long as there really IS a locked-doors party in the back room!

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 36 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20 ... 36  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top