Cup final here I come

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Cup final here I come

Post by steven pirie on Thu May 28, 2009 4:33 pm

That's soccer, for our American cousins.

My team (Everton) is at Wembley this weekend playing Chelsea in the FA Cup final (it's Superbowl but without all the cuddling Very Happy ). As season ticket holders, me and my boy qualified for tickets and have a hotel booked and now just need the right result! Come on you Blues!

What sports (if any) do you guys support?

steven pirie

http://www.stevenpirie.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Cup final here I come

Post by Mercedes on Thu May 28, 2009 7:34 pm

Uh...I played tennis in high school? I also have an uncanny knack of picking out winning pride fighters, but that's just a gift. Razz

Sports are boring to watch. Hate it.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Thu May 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Red Sox (baseball), Patriots (football -- American football that is), and Celtics (basketball). Living in Connecticut the local teams are either Boston based or New York based. I've always lived east of the Connecticut River (which cuts Connecticut virtually in half). Back in the old days when most sports were always on the radio, I grew up listening to whoever was closest. In my case, it was always the Boston teams. Never got into hockey so I can't tell a Bruin from the Penguin from a Flyer. Also used to like tennis a lot, nowadays not so much. Used to watch boxing, but now it's UFC all the way -- UFC makes boxing look like lawn darts. Will watch golf if Tiger's playing. Oh, yeah, and Playboy centerfold oil wrestling (that's a sport, ain't it?).

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Fri May 29, 2009 11:06 am

I know enough about most sports, but don't follow them any longer.

I would go to a live game (especially baseball) but watching sports on television does not interest me.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Fri May 29, 2009 2:03 pm

Red Sox and Patriots for local teams. I can't really get into those sports like I used. If the player isn't really famous or on one of those teams, I probably don't know a thing about them.

Aside from that, I absolutely love combat sports. Boxing was always my favorite. My father was a boxer and good friends with Marvin Hagler when I was a wee lad, so I was around it as a kid. In the past 10 years or so, boxing has started to sort of suck. Too much corruption and BS, you know. Good thing I got into MMA in the mid-90s because that is frickin' awesome now!

I also watch bass tournaments on TV. That's a sport! =)

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri May 29, 2009 11:52 pm

Football - Eagles
Baseball - Phillies
hockey - Flyers
NBA - hate them all Smile
College Basketball - Duke Blue Devils

I love to play basketball, hockey, and am currently in the middle of softball season

Smile

Alex

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sat May 30, 2009 1:38 am

Marvelous Marvin! Now that's awesome...

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sat May 30, 2009 3:03 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:Marvelous Marvin! Now that's awesome...
My father has a picture of him and Marvin sitting on a stoop on Newbury Street back in 1975. Marvin is holding a little white baby that just happens to be me. Dude was a boxing hero to me. I was devastated when he was robbed against Sugar Ray. Never fought again after that. He was also devastated. Too bad.

And who can forget the best three rounds ever?

Fucking EPIC! They don't make 'em like that anymore. Now you've got assholes like Floyd Mayweather that talk about being the greatest ever. Pleeeeease!

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sat May 30, 2009 3:12 am

This fight was pretty awesome, too.

Unreal.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Sun May 31, 2009 11:44 am

Well, we were beaten, but we had a good weekend just the same. Had a night in London Saturday night so that was fun...

steven pirie

Back to top Go down

Post by steven pirie on Sun May 31, 2009 11:48 am

I must admit I like American football, and having been to Philly a few times the Eagles are my team too. Sadly, it was always out of season when I was there.

We did once see the baseball in Houston at the Astrodome (was it the Oilers? It was a few years ago). Not that I understood all the nuances of the game, and it did go on a little for my attention span. Afterwards they wheeled out the Beach Boys for a concert (they were ancient even then!) which was pretty good too...

steven pirie

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Sun May 31, 2009 1:30 pm

The Oilers were the football team from Huston. They moved to Tennessee and changed their name to the Titans. The baseball team is known as the Astros.

And I agree that baseball games can tend to be way too long. That's why I can't watch them on TV.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun May 31, 2009 2:17 pm

I love baseball. In fact, if it weren't for my shitty parents I'd probably be a pro baseball player right now. It's the one thing I've always maintained that I was awesome at. I mean, I was really really good. But then the whole drinking thing with my father happened, the family fell apart, I had to join the Air Force, blah blah blah...and there went that dream. =(

I tried to play softball once, back in like 2000, and I sucked! Haha. I played shortstop; figured I'd still be awesome. Nooooooo! I was jumping out of the way of the ball. lmao So I retired for good then.

Anyway, even I can't watch much baseball these days. Who has three or four hours to spend watching baseball...200 days a frickin' year!? Haha.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by kurtnewton on Sun May 31, 2009 9:00 pm

Hey, there's nothing like mowing the lawn, taking a swim, drinking three glasses of iced tea and lying down on a hot summer day in the basement to watch a baseball game. I'm usually asleep by the fifth inning.

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:25 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top