SHINEY'S SONG OF THE MOMENT!

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: SHINEY'S SONG OF THE MOMENT!

Post by Flash Boy on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:58 am

You know Motorcycle Boy is one of my all time favourite bands. They totally nailed that whole Iggy "New Values" sound, shame Ratboy was f*cked over and not credited on the record. He's the common denominator in some of coolest bands of the last 20 years like Pillbox NYC and Sour Jazz (Cool Beasts Of Bourbon derived name). Michael Monroe made a mistake not hiring him for Demolition 23, though they turned out pretty great.

Here's a Pillbox video for good measure, love it how Chris Barry goes all Jeffrey Lee Pierce around the 1.55 mark...........

Flash Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:35 pm

The late JEFF BUCKLEY...swooning angelic vocals...heartbreaking delivery and just plain....Goddamn, they don't make performers like this anymore...RUFUS WAINWRIGHT is close, but not even.

BUCKLEY was the son of aanother doomed soul, TIM BUCKLEY...late 70's balladeer who met an early demise....20 years later his son would meet one too. JEFF was suspected to have been hit by a boat while swimming in the Mississsippi River and drowned, he was preparing to enter the studio and record the follow up to the breathtaking "Grace" EVERYONE should own this album...

The clip I posted is his raw and unsettlingly gorgeous interpretation of the LEONARD COHEN psalm....

Listen hard!!!

{RATTPOISON, you post in my thread again, I will go to work on your nutsack with a pair of pliers, you got that!!!

Last edited by Shiney on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:07 pm; edited 2 times in total

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:56 pm

So. Gorgeous.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Balor on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:08 pm

Hey Shiney, first off, I love Jeff Buckley. Lilac Wine is one is such a haunting song. One of the best ever.

And I see you posted a Swans song, which rocks, because one of my favorite (I guess you could call it free-form) songs is by them.

Balor

http://robertduperre.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:10 pm

yeah...I totally rock with my wide range of musical tastes! headbang Laughing

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:56 am

Whilst I do like that Jeff Buckley version of 'Hallelujah' (and the Wainwright one for that matter), I've had enough of that song for a life time. One of those Simon Cowell endorsed reality show winners did the most overblown and hard to stomach cover of the song that became Christmas No. 1 over here in 2008. Double that with the music-lovers retaliating by downloading the Buckley version on iTunes and getting it to No. 2 in the charts, there was a lot of 'Hallelujah' based overexposure.

Having said that, Grace is an amazing album. It has a strange ethereal quality and just makes great night-time listening.

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Anyone who knows me...knows there is a small stable of "go to" artists for me...Artists who can do no wrong...whose less than stellar efforts still illicit the goo goo eyes of adorations from me...ELVIS COSTELLO is one of them.

Since his awkward nerdish gait onto the scene in 1977, he was a odd fit for the burgeoning punk scene...too edgy and strange for the pop scene...and too fucking poppy for the hard rockers. He was an artists with a fanbase that crossed all sorts of lines...He was one of the first artists banned from SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE...for performing the controversial "Radio Radio" live after assuring Lorne Michaels they would do another tune (deja vu for you STONES fans out there)

He has steadily put out great and varied albums ever since, while only garnering a handful of "hits"...The bittersweet, "Alison"....the heartbreaking "Veronica", an ode to his aging Mother's battle with senility..."Everyday I write the Book"....and so on.

This is my choice, as it was the first EC song I ever heard, and that bass line is still one of the best....try and keep your ass from wiggling, even a little bit.

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash Boy on Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:14 am

He's never grabbed me the way i thought, songs here and there in particular the brilliant "Radio Radio". I gravitate more to his Stiff Records label mate and contemporary Nick Lowe and his crazily perfect "Jesus Of Cool" record.

I do love that record he penned for Wendy James (Transvision Vamp) though, her solo record "Now Ain't The Time For Your Tears". Have you heard it Shiney?

Flash Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Completely ignoring the fact that RP is not down with ELVIS...I shall move to another band I harbor a sort of unatural "digginess" for THE WHO....I say they were punk rock light years before anyone knew what that was...The fractured and uneven guitar mastery of Pete Townsend...the dynamic bombasity of Rogger Daltrey...The thick plank work of the late John Enwhistle, all laced togetehr with the literally schiziophrenic drumming of the late Keith moon and you have a cocktail that swirls everything from pop/hard rock/progressive and some metallic twinges into a frothy foaming martini with a hairy eyeball in place of the olive and a middle finger in place of the mini umbrella...This is one of my favorite WHO tunes...

Enjoy..."A Quick One"

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Elvis Costello and The Who! That's what I'm talking about!

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:29 pm

I so deserve my own radio station..Shiney Radio all the fucking time!!!

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:53 pm

Must say, I've always loved the song 'Pump It Up'. I'd be lying if I said I'd listen to much other Costello though. I heard The Wildhearts did a cover of that song - I'd love to hear that, it can only be better than Exodus' version :S

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash Boy on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:24 am

Smindas wrote:Must say, I've always loved the song 'Pump It Up'. I'd be lying if I said I'd listen to much other Costello though. I heard The Wildhearts did a cover of that song - I'd love to hear that, it can only be better than Exodus' version :S

Here ya go sir thanks to the good folks over at B Sides R Us............

The Wildhearts - Pump It Up (Endless Nameless Bonus Track)

http://rapidshare.com/files/274422191/TW-EN_JBT_-MP3-bsidesrus.zip

Just a word of warning, this is Endless Nameless era. So it's not the sparkling rifftastic candy you've come to love from the Wildies, expect an inpenetrable wall of howling distortion covering a semblance of a pop song . They give it to you but not easily!

Flash Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:22 am

I fucking hated that album....I actually Eabyed it for a pretty decent penny, That hissy production made it virtually unlistenable....

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:30 am

I lost interest in this band after the "Showbiz" album, but goddamn I love this song...It's killer....Just dynamic.

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:46 am

That cover of 'Pump It Up' was pretty unique. The only real song I've heard off Endless Nameless is 'Anthem' and as different as it was, I liked it.

Showbiz is an amazing album, but I'm a sucker for most of Muse's albums. I tried to get tickets for their tour in a month or so, but the tickets sold out in 2 minutes.

Last edited by Smindas on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash Boy on Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:09 am

Shiney wrote:I fucking hated that album....I actually Eabyed it for a pretty decent penny, That hissy production made it virtually unlistenable....

Your just soft Shiney! Catch me on the right day and i'd call it their best effort.

Flash Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:41 pm

DRIVE BY TRUCKERS....what can I say about this band that has not been said.

Gritty swaggering southern redneck hard rock blues dripping good ol' boy rock with soul.

The band while overflowing with psuedo-sloppy musical prowess make their mark (on me at least) with their lyrics...

Alot of the times, dark and hopeless and beautiful at the same time...Love is lost and found a shot and buried and dug up and loved again...to be spurned but never forgotten.

This is my favorite DBT song, "outfit" written by Jason Isbell, who left the band a few years back...

Just focus on the lyrics to this thing....

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:06 pm

JOHNNY CASH ranks up there along side ALICE COOPER and TOM WAITS as far as musical heroes of mine.

I love almost everything the man ever produced, and find his life story to be inspirational and bittersweet.

Of his body of work, his later material, on Rubin's American Recordings label...Is some of his best. So sparse and moving. Haunting and just so damn "real"...

His craggy voice moves me in ways I can't explain...and when I first heard this particular song, I cried...I bought this album the day is came out....a few weeks before my youngest son was born. I saw the debut of this video and it's was flooring. So raw and tragic and gorgeous.

It's a cover of a song written by Trent Reznor for NINE INCH NAILS...and it's been reported that upon hearing Cash's rendition, Reznor vowed to neevr play it again..."It's His now" he said.

With in 6 months of this album's release, Cash's beloved wife, June Carter passed away....and with 6 months from then..so did he.

Johnny cash died on September 13th 2003.

A legend by every definition of the word.

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:14 pm

I love, love, love this song! The first time that I heard it, I was blown away.

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sammons on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:33 pm

Yep a great cover by a great artist. R.I.P. you man in black.

Brian Sammons

http://www.freewebs.com/brian_sammons/

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash Boy on Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:51 pm

Shiney wrote:...and when I first heard this particular song, I cried...

Same thing happened to me only i was watching the video, never even heard a note of Cash's music beforehand but it totally floored me like few have done before or since. Cash along with a handful of other artists introduced to me my love of Country and American Roots musics and that i will be forever grateful of.

Incidentally i saw my favourite singer Tex Perkins play and sing 20 odd Cash songs in a stage show of his life a week ago, one of the greatest things i've attended.

By the way "Outfit" is my fave DBT's song as well.

Flash Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:13 pm

Today's offering comes from a trac and tragically overlooked artist...ROKY ERICKSON.

First coming into some type of prominence in 1965 when he fronted the bizarro psychedelic band THE 13TH FLOOR ELEVATORS...a band that almost scored JANIS JOPLIN as a singer at one time...The band put out 3 acclaimed albums before the ugly head of mental illnes reared in 1968.

In '68, Erickson began growing increasingly incoherent..speaking in gibberish. He was placed into a mental care facility, where he involuntarily received electro shock treatment.

A year later he was arrested for possession of a joint and plead not gulty by reason of insanity...he was committed once again and given more shock treatments...as well as thorzine...he was kept there until the early 70's...

Upon his relase he began sevreal new projects....and the sounds of his works changed to an almost metallic heaviness and the lyrics grew strange and dark...science fiction and monster movie themed stuff.

ROKY still performs and seems to be doing well....But his body of work needs to be experienced to appreciate...Today you get a twofer....

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:52 pm

Alas I couldnt find a decent quality vid for this tune, but found this, the sound is fab but the creator apparently has a Stevie Nicks fixation...

Anyway, JOHN STEWART (No not THAT one) Better known as a member of THE KINGSTON TRIO and for penning the MONKEE's hit "Daydream Believer"...It was as a songwriter he would garner most of his success.

The song "Gold" which I chose features the gorgeous STEVIE NICKS on vocals along STEWART and is from his 1979 "Bombs Away Dream Babies" LP.

My mom had this on 8-track and I LOVED this song...I was 9 years old, and Ive never stopped loving this song...

JOHN STEWART passed away January of 2008 of a massive stroke.

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:11 pm

Todays ditty comes from Australian Soap Opera heartthrob rocker RICK SPRINGFIELD...

Was I dreamy? Maybe...Could he act? Not really. Did the girlies love him? Oh hell yes...

But he was actually a decent artist....Pop tinged guitar rock...his later material got mellow but I found all of it to be solid....

Am I embarassed I'm a fan? Hell no.

Dig!!

Shiney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 1:01 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top