Devin Townsend Project

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Devin Townsend Project

Post by Smindas on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:59 am

He already did for me - I could never get into Devlab or The Hummer. I sort of expected them to sound like the mellower bits of Ki (even though it wasn't around then, it's a pretty good reference to what I hoped for) and was very disappointed. Those albums just go over my head.

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:39 pm

Smindas wrote:He already did for me - I could never get into Devlab or The Hummer. I sort of expected them to sound like the mellower bits of Ki (even though it wasn't around then, it's a pretty good reference to what I hoped for) and was very disappointed. Those albums just go over my head.
Yeah, I can dig that. I like them in that I don't dislike them. They're cool to listen to when reading or writing, you know, but they're not something to jam out to. Great for background music. You ever hear the Project EKO stuff? It's more upbeat, sort of Delerium-like. Sort of in the same realm as Devlab and Hummer, though. Good for background music.

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:15 pm

Was the Project EKO stuff just a bonus on one of the albums? I remember something about it being hard to get a hold of. But no, I haven't heard it - is it a bit more accessible than the other two?

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:52 pm

Smindas wrote:Was the Project EKO stuff just a bonus on one of the albums? I remember something about it being hard to get a hold of. But no, I haven't heard it - is it a bit more accessible than the other two?
It's more accessible.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/10/11/2139427/Project%20EKO.zip

Give it a whirl. It originally came with the limited version of Accelerated Evolution.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Ah fantastic, thanks very much. Will download and listen to it in the morning then. On a related note, I just posted a rather rambly review of Ki in my desolate reviews topic.

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:13 pm

This Project EKO stuff is pretty good. This is what I hoped The Hummer and Devlab would be like. I'm going to have to track down that special Accelerated Evolution now!

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:51 am

Okay, now I'm excited for Addicted;

Especially that second one. Wowee.

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:24 pm

Fuck! Def That is awesome!

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:16 pm

New video:

Def

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:52 am

Yeah, I saw that on Blabber yesterday. Whilst it suits the song, I personally found it a bit boring. I was kind of hoping for something including the band.

Also Ken, I can't help but feel this thread has been overrun by us ;P

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:55 am

lol

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:17 pm

Sounds epic!

headbang rockon Def

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:48 am

Wow, Dev's voice sounds in top form. And that song sounds pretty brilliant, when is this album out again?

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:48 am

Good article here; http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=125439

The most important bit being Dev intends to start touring again next year. I think I need to change my boxers.

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:49 pm

Jesus! I can't wait. And did he re-record "Om" from the Christine EP? That is one of my favorite tunes! In fact, that EP has three of my favorite Devy tracks, "Om," "Sit In The Mountain," and the absolutely epic "Processional." Have you heard that EP?

I'm so excited for this album.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:04 pm

As am I! I absolutely love the cover too.

I've heard bits and pieces of that EP, it's on my list of things to pick up. As I recall you hooked me up with 'Om', which I found a bit of an odd track. 'Sit In The Mountain' is brilliant though.

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:20 pm

Smindas wrote:As am I! I absolutely love the cover too.

I've heard bits and pieces of that EP, it's on my list of things to pick up. As I recall you hooked me up with 'Om', which I found a bit of an odd track. 'Sit In The Mountain' is brilliant though.
"Om" is a lot like "Regulator" from the Ocean Machine album. In fact, at live shows, Devin used to start "Regulator," switch to "Om," and then end with "Regulator." You have to hear "Processional."

By the way, I haven't mailed your CD and book. I'm totally broke. Not wise to plan a magazine launch and a vacation at the same time. Putting $700 into my truck unexpectedly also didn't help. But it'll go out next week, hopefully. I just need to get paid first.

I feel like I'm 19 again. Haha.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Shiney on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:22 pm

It's tough all over, Sir.

And I must sadly admit to never hearing anything by this fellow aside from the SYL "heavy as a..." cd, a zillion years ago.

Flog me now.

"Hum A La Baby La Zeeba La Boob A La Hum A La Baby La Zeebe Lee Bop!" - David Lee Roth

"I'll eat you up I love you so."

Shiney
A Shiny Nugget of Poo on a White Duvet

Location : Harrisburg, PA (In the Shadow of Three Mile Island)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:46 pm

Shiney wrote:It's tough all over, Sir.

And I must sadly admit to never hearing anything by this fellow aside from the SYL "heavy as a..." cd, a zillion years ago.

Flog me now.
Dude, his solo stuff is ridiculously good. While I love SYL, it's my least favorite of his work. In fact, my favorite SYL album isn't "City," like it is for so many others. I like "The New Black" best, and that's because it was like SYL done through his solo albums filter.

I'll hook you up with a mix CD next time I send you stuff. You'll also get all those 80s bands and more around Christmas time.

Last edited by Kenwood on Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:59 pm

Kenwood wrote:
Smindas wrote:As am I! I absolutely love the cover too.

"Om" is a lot like "Regulator" from the Ocean Machine album. In fact, at live shows, Devin used to start "Regulator," switch to "Om," and then end with "Regulator." You have to hear "Processional."
On closer inspection, it was 'Idom' you sent me, not 'Om'. Will have to pick up the EP at some point for sure then.

Kenwood wrote:By the way, I haven't mailed your CD and book. I'm totally broke. Not wise to plan a magazine launch and a vacation at the same time. Putting $700 into my truck unexpectedly also didn't help. But it'll go out next week, hopefully. I just need to get paid first.

I feel like I'm 19 again. Haha.
Ha, well I'm only just 20 so I more than sympathise. Seriously though mate, don't worry about it if you can't do it - the last thing I want to do is put you out.

And also, what Ken said re: Devin. I am so much more a fan of the solo stuff than I am of SYL. SYL are good and all, but the man's solo records are among some of the best music I've ever listened to.

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Flash Boy on Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:24 am

Kenwood wrote:Jesus! I can't wait. And did he re-record "Om" from the Christine EP? That is one of my favorite tunes! In fact, that EP has three of my favorite Devy tracks, "Om," "Sit In The Mountain," and the absolutely epic "Processional." Have you heard that EP?

I'm so excited for this album.

I find it funny Ginger denies co-writing with Devin on those Christeen EP tracks "Christeen", "Sit In The Mountain" and "Om" even though he's been credited, i'm sure he was doing more than just hanging around in the studio with Devin when those tracks were recorded. "Sit In The Mountain" and "Christeen" have those trademark Wildhearts melodies all over them and Ginger's even in the "Christeen" video........

Flash Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:21 pm

I thought he only co-wrote "Love-Load?" Either way, Devin is a huge fan. There's a track on Addicted called "Wild Hearts." I imagine it's got a huge Wildhearts vibe.

I just noticed "Hyperdrive" on that tracklist, too. That's the Ziltoid track. I'd heard Anneke was covering it for her next album. Guess it made it on this one.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:03 pm

And I thought Ginger only co-wrote "Christeen". Oh, the confusion! And I'm really curious to hear the re-recorded "Hyperdrive" as I love that song.

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:09 pm

Hey, Smindas. You heard the stuff Devin did with Ayreon? If not, check this out:

Way cheesy video. I didn't even know they made one. This is the extended version with the wanky guitar/keyboard solo. Either way, when Devin kicks in at around the 3:00 mark, it's fucking sick!

I love how Devin only agreed to do vocals for that album if he could write and record his own lyrics. Arjen agreed. Then Devin went and recorded 25 or more vocal tracks per song! Epic! Everyone else did like two. Haha.

Kenwood
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Smindas on Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Now you're just telling me things I know all about, Ken ;D

The Human Equation is probably one of my all time favourite prog records. Devin's presence and song-writing are only a small chunk of what makes that album so great. Arjen is a brilliant composer, really. 'Loser' was the first song I heard off it and I knew it was something I had to pick up - the folkiness, Mike Barker's best Alice Cooper impression and Devin make that track one hell of a song. Although I've never been that big on the single edit. The entire album flows so well and has so many amazing songs.

I haven't listened to it since I was travelling in Japan last year, I'll have to rectify that in a bit!

Smindas

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 3:55 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top