What Are Your Irrational Fears?

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: What Are Your Irrational Fears?

Post by kurtnewton on Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:23 pm

Paula Ray wrote:The girl I sat next to in band had maggots in her clarinet mouthpiece - she never cleaned it or removed the reed - until the reed was thrashed - when she had to change it - we saw those little white wormy things - ewwww - now, I have this thing about checking my moutpiece and washing it meticulously.

That reminds me of one summer at my work where I kept my favorite mug--a ceramic mug in the shape of a skull. I drank coffee out of it. I drank tea out of it. I even ate Chinese food out of it when there were no bowls available. I loved my mug. Toward the end of summer I developed a bad sore throat. My tonsils were swollen red and spotted white. I could barely talk. I was on antibiotics. One day I went to make myself a cup of tea and I dropped my mug. It broke into a dozen jagged pieces. That's when I found out the mug's handle was apparently hollow...and deep inside the mug, where I cleaned meticulously, there was an opening...because inside the handle there was rice--fried rice, grey with mold and smelling of decay. I have never owned a skull mug since--or any mug that has a hollow handle!

kurtnewton

Back to top Go down

Post by dgrintalis on Wed Oct 13, 2010 4:53 pm

Paula and Kurt, thank you for sharing your gross stories. Very Happy

dgrintalis

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kenwood on Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:23 pm

GAH! I remember the coffee mug story. puke

Shock Totem | Satan Stole My Devil Horns

Kenwood
Admin

http://www.eyesoretimes.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Brian Sammons on Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:45 pm

Deep water, but then I almost drowned as a kid, so maybe that’s not too irrational?

Brian Sammons

http://www.freewebs.com/brian_sammons/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:43 pm

I can spook myself on almost anything if I sit quiet and let myself go. A good example, I love my yard and the pond that's overflowed into a wetland again these last two years. The wildlife's gone crazy in back. So, a month or so back I started writing about something happening in the yard, something's in the pond. So while the couple in the story are trying to figure it out, I'm out back walking the dog on the leash after dark so she won't take off while in heat, and listening to a screech owl screech, and to the ducks leaping into the water at the sound of my voice and flap across the water like they're something really big. (Or so I keep telling myself, that it was ducks.)

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by EffieCollins on Sun Oct 17, 2010 2:24 pm

Man, if I took the time to type out all of my irrational fears, I'd be about 80 when I got done. Bridges, heights, the dark, standing water and drain holes are just a few. I refuse to even go into a room that has open draperies after sunset - I will not look or go outside after dark. I won't go into certain rooms alone. And I have this thing about orange sofas that I cannot explain. It's weird and I have no frigging idea where it came from. They give me the horrors just looking at them. Not in a "omg that couch is fucking ugly!" kind of way... it's more in a "OMG, that looks like a couch you'd see in the Dahmer household" kinda way, but not quite. Not quite that way at all.

My main, biggest fears are of chickens and horses, though. I freak if either get anywhere near me. I won't let myself be in the dark... that I can at least control. But being approached by a random chicken can be unavoidable. I hate chickens. HATE them.

EffieCollins

http://efcollins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Slinky_Bass on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Paula Ray wrote:The girl I sat next to in band had maggots in her clarinet mouthpiece - she never cleaned it or removed the reed - until the reed was thrashed - when she had to change it - we saw those little white wormy things - ewwww - now, I have this thing about checking my moutpiece and washing it meticulously.

That's just disgusting. One would expect someone playing a classical instrument to have a little more class. What was her nickname? Maggot Mouth?

As for my top irrational fears. High up on the list are silverfish and cockroaches. Silverfish infest, can live for up to five years and they eat books! Cockroaches also infest, their movement pattern is totally erratic (and usually in the direction of my face, I swear they can smell fear), they can fly and they live for goodness knows how long sans head. Although I wonder if they can fly headless...

On the more serious side, yet still irrational, I also have a fear of junkies, specifically junk junkies.

Slinky_Bass

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:48 pm

Slinky_Bass wrote:I also have a fear of junkies, specifically junk junkies.

Understandable, junk junkies breed silverfish and cockroaches. Laughing

Effie, I think I have the same fear of orange couches, but only floral patterns that hide the blood stains, the kind that were so popular in the 70's. My mother had one, then my ex when we began, and later on a good friend that's older than me and used to recover furniture. She had the couch since she first married and last recovered it in the 70's. It's like a nightmare that never ends, same couch, same pattern.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:53 am

And I'm still terrified of young men with beards. They might have silverfish and cockroaches in them. Razz

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by JaymGates on Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:30 am

Touch. Well, it's not really irrational, but...

Basically, if I don't initiate the contact, it leaves a sort of imprint on my skin. I'll feel it for anywhere from minutes to hours.

The worst was one time at work. Taking a guy's money, our fingers brushed. It was the most nauseating thing I've ever felt. I kept scrubbing my hands all night long, trying to get rid of what wasn't there.

It doesn't happen that badly with everyone, but when it does...dear gods. It's horrifying, and I'm terrified that something like that will happen again!

JaymGates

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:14 am

Oh, now I'm feeling a story in that one Jay. You just sent my mind into overdrive wondering what was what with that guy.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by dgrintalis on Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:16 am

My guess is he was a serial killer with a white van!

dgrintalis

http://dwgrintalis.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:16 am

Quite irrational, but I suppose I'll fess up. Being alone at night in my house scares the crap out of me. It's funny. I'm used to sleeping alone at night in the woods in a canvas tent with no one within a ten minute walk/run. And yet in my house with walls and locking doors and not one, but two neighbors within sprinting distance I can freak myself out.

Also, I totally understand Jaym's. Some people, like the gentleman she met, just shouldn't be allowed to touch anyone.

Kuro

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:42 am

You guys are all weird. lol

I'm normal, I swear.

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:22 pm

Tall Tyrion wrote:You guys are all weird. lol

I'm normal, I swear.

Or so TT says, but I guess the real question is in the perimeters of his definition. Shocked

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:04 pm

It's simple. I'm normal, everyone who deviates from my pattern is abnormal.

That's normal, right? lol

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Kuro on Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:53 pm

So we're all normally abnormal?

Kuro

Back to top Go down

Post by Mercedes on Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:24 pm

Normally. Wink

Mercedes
The Totem Goddess

http://abrokenlaptop.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EffieCollins on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:04 am

In the normal course of things.

EffieCollins

http://efcollins.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by viciousvixen on Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:02 pm

screw normal, I'm average.

viciousvixen

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosencrantz on Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm afraid that, in my list of phobias, there are also crickets. For someone raised near mosquitos the size of small hummingbirds and snakes under every other rock, crickets should be the least of my worries. And yet...

Also, any boat where, after being in it for an hour, my feet are miraculously under water. Though, I feel that's justified. unsure

Rosencrantz

Back to top Go down

Post by Kerr on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Rosencrantz, did you say you're from Texas? I'm making sure of where I don't want to live.

Kerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Rosencrantz on Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:49 pm

Wink I'm from somewhere down South...

Rosencrantz

Back to top Go down

Post by Tall Tyrion on Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:04 pm

I'd have a tough time living anyplace they had palmetto bugs, which as I understand it are giant flying roaches. unsure

Tall Tyrion

Back to top Go down

Post by Slinky_Bass on Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:24 am

Tall Tyrion wrote:I'd have a tough time living anyplace they had palmetto bugs, which as I understand it are giant flying roaches. unsure

uggghh! Although, that thing might have a harder time scuttling, considering its size, and it has no looong, twitchy feelers. So I'd say it evens out to "equally terrible, disgusting and horrible" compared to a normal roach.

Kerr wrote:Understandable, junk junkies breed silverfish and cockroaches...
And here I thought they couldn't get any worse sigh

Mercedes wrote:And I'm still terrified of young men with beards. They might have silverfish and cockroaches in them.
Arrgh! And so the phobia grows... I will never trust a bearded man again!

Slinky_Bass

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:47 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top